TVServerKodi with SQLITE (1 Viewer)

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    What I don't understand: does the access to MP2 EPG is done directly to the database? This would be the problem, there are higher level APIs to use. This was also a design issue inside MP1 TvPlugin.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I don't know exactly but I think it is done the same way as in MP1. Sadly the MP1 TV plugin really isn't done that nice so most likely the kodi plugin also has some flaws.

jhb

Portal Pro
    September 19, 2006
    Gothenburg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Would it be possible to get the MP2 TV-server to work with MySQL? I thought I saw that option when installing MP2 TV-server the first time, but I can't seem to get that option any more. There seems to be no way to amke an uninstall of MP2 TV-server that cleans things up as for MP1, so it is hard to get back to that for testing.

That might perhaps be a workaround? Then the TvServerKodi plugin should probably work as is? And other plugins as well.

I have issues to get my TV-cards to work under MP1 TVserver, but they do work under MP2 TV-server (even thouh they should be the same, more or less). I have TBS5881 and DvbSky T980C, which are working sporadically under MP1 TV-server, but are working quite OK under MP2 TV-server...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have issues to get my TV-cards to work under MP1 TVserver, but they do work under MP2 TV-server (even thouh they should be the same, more or less). I have TBS5881 and DvbSky T980C, which are working sporadically under MP1 TV-server, but are working quite OK under MP2 TV-server...
    This makes no sense to me.

If you're using MP2 + TVE 3, support for DVBSky and TBS tuners is 100% identical. Therefore "MP1 TV Server" should behave the same as "MP2 TV Server". If they're not behaving the same, I think one of the following is true:
    • The issues you're experiencing with "MP1 TV Server" are related to your tuners. Since the support for DVBSky and TBS tuners is the same in both "MP1 TV Server" and "MP2 TV Server" (TVE 3), you're [eventually] going to experience the same issues with "MP2 TV Server".
    • The issues you're experiencing with "MP1 TV Server" are not related to your tuners. The biggest difference between "MP1 TV Server" and "MP2 TV Server" is the database, therefore the issues are most likely to be related to the database.
      • If the issues are related to the database and you go back to using MySQL with "MP2 TV Server" then the issues will come back.
      • If the issues are not related the database, it's likely that you're going to [eventually] experience them with "MP2 TV Server".
    • The differences between the behaviour of "MP1 TV Server" and "MP2 TV Server" are due to differences in configuration. You could "fix" "MP1 TV Server" if you wanted to.

If you're using MP2 + TVE 3.5, support for DVBSky and TBS tuners should be better (no patch required etc.). However the KODI plugin is incompatible due to database structure changes. It cannot work, regardless of whether you're using MySQL or SQLite. The only way to make it work would be for the developers of the plugin to update it.

In my opinion switching to MP2 is unlikely to help you escape your "tuner issues" for the reasons explained above. My advice would be to report the issues and get help.

jhb

Portal Pro
    September 19, 2006
    Gothenburg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    This makes no sense to me.
    --- snip ----
    In my opinion switching to MP2 is unlikely to help you escape your "tuner issues" for the reasons explained above. My advice would be to report the issues and get help.

You're entire message is stating exactly my opinion around this, but it is not helping. It is even so that the TBS-card is working with CAM without a patch under MP2 TV-server, but I need the patch under the MP1 TV-server to get the CAM to work (but it is still working poorly under MP1). My best guess is that it is a timing issue with the CAM, partly driven by the fact that channels are tuned quickly on TBS and DvbSky when the first channel is tuned, but the second channel is really slow. Which then might be connected to the use of the Database - or not. If it is timing and that is related to the database, then the DB change will not help either. I agree on that as well.

Both these cards still have poor drivers and support and I am not expecting much help on this from the forum as they are not fully supported. I am waiting for Kodi support for TVE3.5, but until that happens I'm just trying to "keep my solution above the surface". I was only wondering if it was possible to change to MySQL again to see if that would work. I tried to do this my-self by changing the gentle.config files, but I only got a crash as a result, so I guess that database access is done outside of the scope of the gentle-framework as well (or at least that SQLite support is compiled into the binary and not entirely relying on the config).

I have made clean installs of both MP1 and MP2 and I get the same behavior every time. The next step for me is to setup a new server-computer (planning for this already) only to be able to get an even cleaner install. Maybe that will help, but I'm grasping for straws here...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    jhb, I know my previous message will not help you to resolve your issues. I was simply trying to point out that I think your issues will continue until you report them and get help. I do want to help you, but currently I'm unable to do or say anything more without full information about your setup and problem(s) (including log files, dates/times, channel names etc.).

It is even so that the TBS-card is working with CAM without a patch under MP2 TV-server...
    Please can you clarify this statement. "MP2 TV Server" is an ambiguous term. For clarity it would be best to say "TVE 3" or "TVE 3.5".

If you mean TVE 3.5 then I can agree with the statement. The patch for MP1's TV Server (TVE 3) - including some improvements - has been integrated into TVE 3.5. Therefore the CI/CAM, DiSEqC etc. should work without a patch.

However, if you mean TVE 3 then that is a completely different question. Categorically: there is no code for TBS (or DVBSky) CI/CAM support in TVE 3. The only way it might partially work is if TBS have implemented decryption in their driver (like DVBSky have). In that case, the CAM menu will not be accessible... but most importantly: decryption will not be reliable. Decrypting the first channel will work fine, but decrypting the second channel will fail and fall back to the next tuner (=> slooow!). You would observe the same behaviour with MP1's TV Server if you did not apply the TBS patch.

...but I need the patch under the MP1 TV-server to get the CAM to work (but it is still working poorly under MP1).
    Like I said at the start of this reply, I'd like to help you with this. Unfortunately my hands are tied unless and until you choose to report the problem with log files etc.

My best guess is that it is a timing issue with the CAM, partly driven by the fact that channels are tuned quickly on TBS and DvbSky when the first channel is tuned, but the second channel is really slow. Which then might be connected to the use of the Database - or not. If it is timing and that is related to the database, then the DB change will not help either. I agree on that as well.
    The symptoms sound exactly as I described above. Therefore I think this behaviour has nothing to do with the database and everything to do with TVE 3's non-existent CI/CAM support for TBS and DVBSky tuners. If you're relying on the tuner driver to decrypt channels then this is exactly what you can expect. The only way to resolve it is for full CI/CAM support to be added in TVE. TVE 3.5 has full support for both TBS and DVBSky tuners; TVE 3 does not have any support, but as you know there's the TBS patch for MP1's TV Server. There is no TVE 3 patch for DVBSky tuners.

Both these cards still have poor drivers and support...
    For what it's worth this statement doesn't match my experience with either TBS or DVBSky. However compared to you I use different tuners, different CAMs, and receive different TV providers.

...and I am not expecting much help on this from the forum as they are not fully supported.
    I'm disappointed that this is your expectation. TBS tuners should work well with MP1's TV Server if you apply the patch. If you have trouble with the patch then I say again that I'm more than happy to help you with it... but you have to be willing to ask.

I am waiting for Kodi support for TVE3.5, but until that happens I'm just trying to "keep my solution above the surface".
    You could be waiting a long time.

I was only wondering if it was possible to change to MySQL again to see if that would work. I tried to do this my-self by changing the gentle.config files, but I only got a crash as a result...
    I have seen reports that people have done this successfully. However in general I can't help you with MP2. So if you want to go down this route then somebody else will need to assist you.

...so I guess that database access is done outside of the scope of the gentle-framework as well (or at least that SQLite support is compiled into the binary and not entirely relying on the config).
    SQLite support is indeed compiled into the binary. However MySQL support was not removed. Other people have proved that it is possible to use MySQL instead of SQLite.

I have made clean installs of both MP1 and MP2 and I get the same behavior every time. The next step for me is to setup a new server-computer (planning for this already) only to be able to get an even cleaner install. Maybe that will help, but I'm grasping for straws here...
    Yep, I agree - changing computer is grasping at straws, and I don't think it will help. Honestly and with the greatest respect: currently I think you're wasting your time. If you want to stop grasping at straws, all you have to do is ask for help and provide the information that is required to help you (log files etc.). That's what I'd do if I were you.

jhb

Portal Pro
    September 19, 2006
    Gothenburg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I actually now have the TBS-card working under MP1. Could't first get it to work at all and got really frustrated and started to move around CAM-modules and Boxer cards, but nothing helped. Tried starting the server without TBS power adapter connected and then connected it and so on, but nothing helped. Then I moved the USB-box (TV-card) to another physical position. Then suddenly I got some change in the behavior, the TBS-card found new channels with random letters and numbers as names. Scanned again and found identical channels. This gave me an idea, maybe the TBS-card is receiving a too strong signal or a signal with an echo. Therefore I put it under a signal splitter (that in this case acts as a damper) and then everything started to work.

I really can't explain how this can happen. The card worked under TBSviewer before adding the splitter/damper. The card "worked" under MP2 TVE3 server without the patches (slow channel changes as you stated mm1352000). With patches under mp2 it was not working. It did owever not work under TVE3 with MP1 installation until I damped the signal. How all this is related beats me, but now it suddenly works under TVE3 and MP1 anyway.With fast channel chanes as well. I will not change anything now...

Anyway thank you mm1352000 for your help and your explanations. I wouldn't have tried so thoroughly if you wouldn't have been so detailed in explaining why I was wrong. I work with similar things (network products) and really think that I am knowledgable in the area and I have a multitude of electronics and computer projects that I run both home and at work, but these issues has really kept me sleepless te last seven days...

Thanks!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I actually now have the TBS-card working under MP1...
    Hmmm, strange. In general if TBSviewer was working then MP1's TV Server should also have worked.

Then suddenly I got some change in the behavior, the TBS-card found new channels with random letters and numbers as names.
    This could be a CAM issue. I always recommend to scan with CAM removed. Were you doing that, or did you have the CAM plugged in?

With patches under mp2 it was not working.
    Yep, AFAIK the patch is not compatible with MP2.

I will not change anything now...
    :D

Anyway thank you mm1352000 for your help and your explanations.
    No problem, any time. I'm happy to have been able to assist. :)

jhb

Portal Pro
    September 19, 2006
    Gothenburg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    mm1352000 said:
    This could be a CAM issue. I always recommend to scan with CAM removed. Were you doing that, or did you have the CAM plugged in?

Normally I am not scanning on this card at all, I map DVB-T/T2 channels after scanning on the card that is the qickest one to scan (a BlackGold DVB-T2 card for freeview only, but I have never had any issues with that card). But in this case I was scanning on the TBS card. MIght be a poor connection between CAM and TBS-card then? I was probably holding it so I could've been affecting the connectivity. But on the other hand, I have tried with my other CI+ compatible CAM as well and I had the same issues with that (but that was prior to going to MP2).

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    MIght be a poor connection between CAM and TBS-card then?
    No I don't think so. Sometimes CAMs just cause trouble with scanning. I've seen reports over the years where CAMs block or corrupt all or part of the stream from the tuner. That can cause TV Server to not find some or all channels, or to receive scrambled/garbled channel details. I don't know what causes it. Maybe not enough power available for the tuner/CAM to operate properly; maybe a compatibility issue between CAM and CI slot; maybe a tuner or CI slot driver issue; maybe a CAM configuration issue; maybe a CAM firmware issue; maybe a CAM processor limitation (stream bit-rate too high or too many sub-streams). The list goes on. Many possibilities. All I know is that scanning is more reliable when the CAM is removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom