TVService (EPG grabbing when idle) preventing Standby (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Well in the UK, each channel broadcasts EPG data but this will take ages it's only now & next information. For the actual full EPG you only need to grab from a single channel ("Freesat Info" for Freesat, can't remember the name of the Sky one) so it's much quicker.

I'm actually using DVB-T Freeview. I could see it was going through the channels when it was doing the grab. I don't know if it grabbed from every single channel as I wasn't watching it but each time I looked at it it was on another channel.

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
It will only reduce the change of missing EPG change.

Users shouldn't try to turn the HTPC off just tell them that HTPC will shut down by itself when MP is in homescreen with no media playing. Or if users really want to turn the HTPC off tell them to use S3/S4 and MP will wake up to grap the EPG at configured time in the night.

Yeah, I meant standby when I said "shutdown for the night", not actually turn it off. ;)

I don't think people will like the idea of leaving the PC on unnecessarily for 30-60mins when they go to bed, when they can easily put it into standby. I didn't think of setting it to wake to grab the EPG though, so that's an option although I think I'd prefer it to grab the EPG whilst I have it on anyway (which with two tuners shouldn't be a problem even if I'm watching TV all day), rather than letting it wake the PC just for that.

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
I can take a look if you put everything to debug logging / extensive logging (I think extensive logging is specially for power stuff in related plugins), disable all 3rd party stuff, reproduce the problem and post all logs.

It would be nice to know all the power-related settings too.

Hi seco

I've had to move to my other PC temporarily whilst I move that one into a case. I copied the Mediaportal installation over pretty much except for reinstalling TVServer to make sure it picked up my tuner card OK and I rescanned for channels.

Anyway, I've noticed there seems to be a bug where the EPG grabber gets all the data from one channel in about 6 minutes but then almost immediately afterwards starts grabbing the data again on another channel and so on as you can see in the attached epg.log. I've reported this bug here https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/dvb-t-freeview-epg-updates-taking-ages.109771/ and perhaps that's what's been causing Legacy Kernel Caller to get stuck on and preventing standby working.

This is with "Store data only for selected channels" unticked and a selection of channels ticked. I think when I was testing earlier this bug didn't occur when I had "Store data only" ticked, so I'll test with that again.

Note I don't currently have this PC set to standby so the logs won't show anything useful about that at the moment.

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
I'm still using my Main PC as the Spare machine I was working on isn't working at the moment. I've set this machine to standby after 30 mins and it's not working again, which seems to be caused by the same old bug with EPG grabbing when idle causing the Legacy Kernel Caller to block standby. Disabling grabbing when idle has made that not show any more when doing powercfg -requests. Anyway, here's some logs.

I've edited the title to better reflect the cause of the problem as well.

EDIT: Sorry, had PS++ installed for those logs. I've reinstalled the original PS now. The issue seems to be partly that MP isn't clearing Legacy Kernel Caller after finishing the EPG grab and as described in my other thread, partly that it's ignoring the schedule and repeating the grab sooner than it should and partly that it's grabbing on every channel, taking two hours when it should only grab from one channel taking about 10 minutes, so I don't think PS or PS++ will make any difference.

Last edited:

DJBlu

Portal Pro
August 14, 2007
Llanelli
Home Country
Well in the UK, each channel broadcasts EPG data but this will take ages it's only now & next information. For the actual full EPG you only need to grab from a single channel ("Freesat Info" for Freesat, can't remember the name of the Sky one) so it's much quicker.

I'm actually using DVB-T Freeview. I could see it was going through the channels when it was doing the grab. I don't know if it grabbed from every single channel as I wasn't watching it but each time I looked at it it was on another channel.

TimeshiftingEpgGrabber: channel CBBC Channel is not configured to grab epg.

If you are using freeview then select BBC One as the channel to grab EPG, de-select all other channels. De-select grab only EPG for selected channels. This will set off the EPG grabber and will grab all data for all the channels.

Last edited:

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
TimeshiftingEpgGrabber: channel CBBC Channel is not configured to grab epg.

If you are using freeview then select BBC One as the channel to grab EPG, de-select all other channels. De-select grab only EPG for selected channels. This will set off the EPG grabber and will grab all data for all the channels.

Thanks, that sounds like it might work. I'll give it a go :)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
Cool. That seems to have got it working properly thanks. (y)

It's a bit confusing that EPG section, as it refers to "Store data only for selected channels" and "Grab EPG for these channels" when it appears to actually mean "Grab EPG using these channels" and does a full EPG grab (i.e all channels) for each channel that's selected, for Freeview at least.

I see there's a few errors in tvserver_error.log now though, so I'd be grateful if you take a look at those for me.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    For me, if I don't select 'store data only for selected channels' I don't get any EPG data at all, and I created a mantis entry for this

- 0003960: [TV-Server Config (SetupTv.exe)] Only grab EPG data for selected channels not working as intended - new.

However, from what you are saying, this section of SetupTV determines whether a channel is used for grabbing EPG data from.

Or are we talking about two different sections? I am confused.

Edit: the relevant wiki page is

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ver_Configuration/05_DVB_EPG/1_TV_EPG_Grabber

and it has

"If Store data only for the selected channels is checked, you need to check the channels you want EPG for either one by one or by one of the options in blue on the lower part.
    Usually a provider will send EPG data for all channels from that provider with each channel. This means that you will only need to check one channel from each provider. So checking a channel here will decide which channel you want to retrieve EPG from.
    If the Store data only for the selected channels is unchecked it will store EPG for all channels it find EPG for."

This actually seems contradictory to me. The first sentence, in red, seems pretty clear that the purpose of this is to only STORE data for the selected channel. However, the second sentence, in blue, seems to state that I only need to check one channel from each provider and it will STORE the EPG data for all channels from that provider.

Add to this the fact that if I select nothing at all in this section (which is the default setting) then I get no EPG data stored at all, then I really am confused about the purpose of this screen.

Can someone clarify so that we can properly document how this is intended to work, and to determine whether there is a bug.

Note that if I don't change the default RADIO EPG settings (nothing selected) then I get EPG for all channels, so there does seem to be something wrong.

Edit 2: Is radio EPG grabbing/storing working because it is grabbing from a TV channel ? I suspect this is the case.

Mark

Last edited:

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    For me, if I don't select 'store data only for selected channels' I don't get any EPG data at all, and I created a mantis entry for this

- 0003960: [TV-Server Config (SetupTv.exe)] Only grab EPG data for selected channels not working as intended - new.

Yeah I had the same problem (I think I might have started the thread about it) if that box is unticked and no channels are selected.

However, from what you are saying, this section of SetupTV determines whether a channel is used for grabbing EPG data from.

Or are we talking about two different sections? I am confused.

No, it's the same section and it does seem to determine which channel(s) are used for grabbing, rather than which channels data is stored for.

Note that if I don't change the default RADIO EPG settings (nothing selected) then I get EPG for all channels, so there does seem to be something wrong.

Edit 2: Is radio EPG grabbing/storing working because it is grabbing from a TV channel ? I suspect this is the case.

I've currently got neither "Store data only" or any channels ticked in the Radio EPG section and it's got the data, so it must grab this when doing the TV EPG grab.

Triver

January 17, 2011
    So...has this issue been solved? I read through the whole thread but couldn't really find a definitive answer.

I have pretty much the same problem as doveman, I can put the PC to sleep fine but he won't do it automatically, even when I quit the client (I'm using version 1.5 btw).
    Only when I manually disable TvService.exe with the TaskManager he goes to sleep after the specified time.

By looking at the "powercfg -requests" list the only thing listed there is also the "[DRIVER] Legacy Kernel Caller" (and the TvService.exe if any of the specified conditions in the PowerScheduler plugin are met which should be the case if I understand it correctly).
    I added the Legacy Kernel Caller to the "powercfg -requestsoverride" list but that seems to do nothing.

I can't really confirm that it has something to do with EPG grabbing though, I tried to disable the "grabbing while idle" function and pretty much every other function in relation to EPG grabbing, restarted the PC but the Legacy Kernel Caller still shows up in the powercfg list and he still refuses to go to sleep after the set time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom