TVService (EPG grabbing when idle) preventing Standby (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: v1.2.2
MediaPortal Skin: PureVisionHD Blue
Windows Version: Win7 Ult 64
CPU Type: Phenom II X4 955
HDD: 2TB Samsung F4
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz
Motherboard: MSI 990FXA-GD80
Video Card: HD6950 2GB
Video Card Driver: 12.1
Sound Card: onboard Realtek AC97 (ALC892)
Sound Card AC3: no AC3
Sound Card Driver: 6.01.6482
1. TV Card: Hauppauge Nova-T 500
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 4.3.27240
MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink PDVD11
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: MS DTV-DVD
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Custom
Cooling: Scythe 120mm Bottom Intake Fan, TRUE Rev. c CPU HSF
Power Supply: Antec CP-850
Remote: Nova-T 500
TV: Sony XBR800 36"
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI

I can put my PC into standby manually but it doesn't do it automatically according to the standby time. I've found by doing Powercfg requests that the following is always blocking it:

SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] Legacy Kernel Caller

I found a thread about this problem on the FTR forum: For The Record - View topic - Legacy Kernel Caller and some tips about Windows 7 Power Managerment here: (iBoyd) » Windows 7 Power Management: Fixing PC Insomnia

So last night I tried killing programs and stopping services and checking again after each one, but I couldn't get rid of this Legacy Kernel Caller. This morning, after a cold boot, it was there again, so I stopped MySQL, TVService and then my Nova-T driver and it disappeared. It didn't come back after restarting my Nova-T driver or MySQL however, only with TVService and if I then stop TVService it goes away again, so maybe I just didn't wait long enough after stopping it and before stopping the Nova-T driver the first time.

Anyway, the fact I couldn't get rid of it at all last night suggests that perhaps TVService leaves it stuck even after it's no longer running. I use PS++ and thought it might be connected but I've tried running TVService with PS++ disabled and it's the same. Logs attached both without and without PS++ running though.

Last edited:

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
I noticed that an EPG grab was happening, so tried disabling "EPG update when idle" (and restarted TVService), which seemed to get rid of the Legacy Kernel Caller but my PC still didn't go to Standby, so then I thought maybe I needed to re-enable PS++ so I did this and noticed the Legacy Kernel Caller was back, but when I checked the logs it seems to still be doing an "EPG update when idle", despite this being disabled in the settings.

Having to disable "EPG update when idle" is going to be an unacceptable workaround anyway even if it worked, as it means if someone doesn't watch TV for a few days the EPG will have gaps (or be completely blank) next time they go to look at it. On a system with only one tuner, like my brother's, it can only update some channels using "EPG update whilst timeshifting/recording", so he's never going to get a proper EPG.

EDIT: After killing TVService and observing that the Legacy Kernel Caller wasn't showing, my PC did standby after the pre-set time, which seems to confirm TVService as the problem. After re-starting TVService again, it doesn't seem to be running the EPG grabber when idle anymore, and therefore standby is working.

TheEngineer0815

Portal Member
December 18, 2011
Kärnten
Home Country
Austria Austria
AW: TVService preventing Standby

hallo, same problem here.

a look at the manual control alwas says that a tuner is EPG grabbing, so its not going to sleep.

frankytv

Portal Pro
November 17, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
same here.

but i already posted this in a older thread 3-4 month ago.

Looks there was a change in the handling of Standby and when it is possible.

My workaround is to kill the MP Client (or stop timeshift). After that i can press Standby at the Remote.
Before 1.2 it was possible to goto Standby all the time.

If i remember right, someone said, its not a bug, its a changed feature or simular
(Not a good decision to change that) :-(

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
Hi

It doesn't sound quite the same as your problem as I just have an issue with it not automatically sleeping when idle (even when MP client is closed). I can do a manual standby OK (I don't think I've tried to whilst timeshifting but I don't really expect to be able to do that).

BeneD83

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 9, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Had the same problem. Seems to be an Epg grabbing issue. I deactivated EPG grabbing in the config and started using FTR+Clickfinder.
    No further problems with the standby.

When Tvservice process was runnig, there was always an entry in cmd-->powercfg -requests, which prevented the standby. Now it's gone.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    I have a similar problem.

I use PS++ and still the PC has insomnia. It used to work, and work well, but not any more. I just thought that there was some process (maybe network shares) preventing standby; but I haven't looked into it too much though.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country

BeneD83

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 9, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    deactivate all dvb-epg stuff in the config and try it than. That was my solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom