TVService stops on tuning a weak channel (1 Viewer)

frankytv

Portal Pro
November 17, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,

i had the same trouble yesterday and serval times before.
Allways it was a thunderstorm. Signal weak and crash.

regards
Frank

The Doctor

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The only one important thing here is that the tv-service keeps running until the signal is good enough to watch or listen too. That means the tv-service has to pickup its task that it was doing before it lost its signal. In the mean time let it popup a window with bad signal displayed in it or something like that, pause recordings and continue them after the signals are back again.

Anyway it should never take down mediaportal when it crashes.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Anyway it should never take down mediaportal when it crashes.

Crash is definitely a bug, but really hard to fix since it could be anything that crashes and I bet you aren't having debugger attached to the tv service when the crash happens... logs are useless in 99% of the cases when such crash happens.

The bug is most likely located in TsWriter.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    i had the same trouble yesterday and serval times before.
    Allways it was a thunderstorm. Signal weak and crash.
    I recommend to configure the restore options for the TvServer service in the windows services section.
    So that windows will restart the service automatically when it crashed.

Not a fix, but a workaround until the issue gets fixed.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    The bug is most likely located in TsWriter.
    MisterD had the same throught. He things that it creates a memoryleak afaik.

Could be, but I would more suspect a that a malformed / corrupted TS packet is not handled properly... maybe some work for that dummy BDA driver and for an extra pair of free hands who has time to debug the TsWriter :D

Or to some user who is plagued with the issue to follow the debugging steps from the http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/Debugging/MemoryDump

TVServer: Catch a channel scan crash <-- that part should be suitable as long as the TsWriter.ax is debug version. Please notice that it wont even require Visual Studio to be installed, only some patience and most likely debug versions of the MS C++ DLL (since debug TsWriter.ax wont register withot those).

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    My original setopbox (philips) always have around 98% signalstrength, 97% signalquality; but yesterday it also lost signal :)
    Sorry to tell you, but these values are plain nonesense. :)

Try 4 different models (do not even have to be different brands!) of STB's, and they will all tell you other values.
    The biggest flaw is that they tell you the results in %.
    But what is the base of the % calculation? How many dbuV are 100%?
    There is no definition or standart which would define that. Even more rubbish is the signal-quality value - but I do not want to get into details there. ;)

Bottomline is that if you realy want to know if your antenna or sat-dish is alligned properly (and physicaly okay) you need to use a professional (sat) meter like the Kathrein MSK 33 - and a technitian who knows what he is doing.
    Everything else is just GUESSING. ;)

So why bother implementing those values in MP?

My suggestion is that you guys hire an professional to check your antennas.
    Because even if the bug in TvServer is fixed when signal is lost, you will still have the major problem that you can not watch TV because of your bad signal.

Sorry but that seems a bit like dodging the issue. Even if the aerial's perfect, weather conditions, transmitter problems, etc can cause low/no signal on certain channels and users shouldn't have to deal with TvServer crashing and having to restart it if they happen to try to watch an affected channel, particularly as a recording may be in progress at that time, on other channels that aren't affected.

So hopefully this bug being fixed isn't an "if" as it is really quite severe in it's impact.

Or to some user who is plagued with the issue to follow the debugging steps from the Debugging/MemoryDump - MediaPortal Manual Documentation

TVServer: Catch a channel scan crash <-- that part should be suitable as long as the TsWriter.ax is debug version. Please notice that it wont even require Visual Studio to be installed, only some patience and most likely debug versions of the MS C++ DLL (since debug TsWriter.ax wont register withot those).

I'd be happy to try this if someone can point me to the debug TsWriter.ax and the other files I'll need and tells me where to send the memory dump and logs, as they won't mean anything to me.

I've downloaded "Debugging Tools for Windows 32-bit Version" but when I try to install it says I need .NET Framework 4. Is it OK to install this, as I don't want to mess anything up?

slarve

Portal Member
    July 30, 2007
    Noooo, the fix has been postponed...
    Really looking forward to this fix as it is especially frustrating now in the winter with snow coming down and all..

2010-12-16 12:46 chemelli Target Version 1.2.0 Beta => Future Release

I can provide recordings (with weak signals) that crash my tv-service consistently if that helps....?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Really looking forward to this fix as it is especially frustrating now in the winter with snow coming down and all..

I can provide recordings (with weak signals) that crash my tv-service consistently if that helps....?

Please do! One of the trickiest parts about issues like this is being able to reproduce them consistently. If you have a recording that causes MP/TVE3 to crash every time you play it then that would help.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

Please do! One of the trickiest parts about issues like this is being able to reproduce them consistently. If you have a recording that causes MP/TVE3 to crash every time you play it then that would help.

With a broken recording we can only reproduce the crashes on the client side - this is the main stopped for trying to fix the tv service crashing.

What we would need is to gain access full transport stream dump (a small preferably so the reproducing takes only a minute or two) that can trigger the crash on the server side. Few years ago I did develop a dummy BDA driver that can be used to feed the complete transport streams to the tv service (or any other application as well). I don't want to release that tool to public for few reasons 1) it is containing huge amount of MS sample code that cannot be pushed as GPL lisenced code 2) I have no time to support that tool 3) it is really not an user friendly tool (install nor using) 4) it is not tested well enough (requires quite good testing since it is running in the kernel space).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom