UK: Atlas shutting down Radio Times feed from June 16 & also stopping free access to MetaBroadcast (2 Viewers)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    not to sidetrack this conversation but what is the easiest way to build an mc2xml.chl file to pull only the data for my favourite channels?
    I can only suggest to read the documentation on the mc2xml home page ("If you want to limit which channels are output in your xml file..."):
    http://mc2xml.hosterbox.net/

karl10247

Portal Pro
    November 8, 2011
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    Thanks but i have read that, what i meant was an easy way of putting the file together e.g. export channel list from MP into notepad... complete with channel ids and manipulate. Do you know if exporting the list to notepad is possible?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I don't understand what would be so hard or why you would want to export MP's channel list. MP's channel IDs are completely independent from mc2xml's. It makes no sense to use MP's IDs in an mc2xml.chl file because mc2xml won't understand them.

Perhaps I could be more helpful if you could give more details about what you're trying to achieve. For example:
    • how many channels do you have in total
    • how many "favourite channels" do you have
    • why is it not easy/possible to simply create a text file containing a series of channel numbers and/or names and or ranges
    • why do you think exporting MP's channel IDs will help you

karl10247

Portal Pro
    November 8, 2011
    Home Country
    Ok so im trying to build a mc2xml.chl list so im not pulling the entire UK channel listing each time which is time consuming and also stresses the mc2xml server unnecessarily. I have 777 channels in total in MP. Of these i have segregated around 50 channels into a 'Favourites' group which is all i am interested in pulling the data for.

In the mc2xml documentation it mentions "Specifying channel numbers, channel number ranges, channel names, or channel ids on separate lines will create an inclusion list"

What channel numbers or ids is this referring to and how can i actually put the list together?

I thought an .txt export of my favourites group would give me the numbers or id's mc2xml requires but perhaps im missing something

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have 777 channels in total in MP.
    Okay. From this number of channels and the fact that you mention the UK, I'm guessing you still have Freesat as you've said in some of your previous posts on this forum.
    Is that correct?

Of these i have segregated around 50 channels into a 'Favourites' group which is all i am interested in pulling the data for.
    Right. That should be very doable.

What channel numbers... is this referring to...?
    If you have Freesat I'm pretty sure it would be the standard Freesat channel numbers. The ones you'd key in on a remote control with a regular TV. For example, BBC 1 would be 101; ITV 4 would be 117.
    Here's a full and up-to-date list of them:
    http://www.a516digital.com/p/freesat-channel-list.html

What channel... ids is this referring to...?
    mc2xml channel IDs, as shown in the example on mc2xml's home page.
    # include the channel that matches this channel id
    I20.515292.microsoft.com
    # include channels that match the channel id regular expression
    I51.*xboxlive.com
    I.*ec3dc96d-83da-c806-0ad0-7b566372a57a.xboxlive.com

These are completely different to MP's channel IDs.
    I have no idea what the mc2xml channel ID for BBC 1 would be, and MP can't give you that information either.

...how can i actually put the list together?
    Without knowing exactly which 50 channels you're interested in, I could only guess that the easiest way would be to use channel number ranges.
    In other words:
    1. Click start, type "notepad" in the search box (for W10: type it in Cortana's question box) and press enter. This should start notepad.
    2. If your favourite list included BBC 1, BBC 2, ITV and Channel 4, you could enter 101 (for BBC 1) on the first line, 102 on the second etc.... or you could save a ton of time and simply enter "101-104" on the first line. etc. I really can't give a better or more specific than this without knowing the contents of your favourites list.
    3. Click file -> save as.
    4. Navigate to the folder where you've put mc2xml.
    5. Change "save as type" to "all files".
    6. Set the file name as "mc2xml.chl".
    7. Click save.

I thought an .txt export of my favourites group would give me the numbers or id's mc2xml requires but perhaps im missing something
    As previously stated, mc2xml and MP are completely separate and independent, developed by different people. I'm not aware of any export function in MP that could produce a file which is in the format that mc2xml expects.

karl10247

Portal Pro
    November 8, 2011
    Home Country
    Hey thanks for your reply, that mustve taken ages to write out so i appreciate your time in supporting

Is that correct?

Yes you are correct i am using freesat.

If you have Freesat I'm pretty sure it would be the standard Freesat channel numbers. The ones you'd key in on a remote control with a regular TV. For example, BBC 1 would be 101; ITV 4 would be 117.
    Here's a full and up-to-date list of them:
    http://www.a516digital.com/p/freesat-channel-list.html

Okay i'll give those a try but i hear what you are saying on your next comment that these id's may differ from those MC2XML uses

Without knowing exactly which 50 channels you're interested in, I could only guess that the easiest way would be to use channel number ranges.
    In other words:

I'll try that approach first

I'm not aware of any export function in MP that could produce a file which is in the format that mc2xml expects.

No problem seems this exercise is going to be a completely manual approach unfortunately, shame

I'll give it a go making my .chl list per your instructions and feed back my results.

Thanks for your help

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hey thanks for your reply, that mustve taken ages to write out so i appreciate your time in supporting
    You're welcome. I'm happy to try to help where I can. :)

Okay i'll give those a try but i hear what you are saying on your next comment that these id's may differ from those MC2XML uses
    Let's be really clear.

There are channel numbers... and there are channel IDs.
    These are two different things.

mc2xml's channel IDs haven't got a hope of matching up to MediaPortals.
    mc2xml has IDs that are something like "I20.515292.microsoft.com" (or maybe I20.515292.schedulesdirect.org, since your data is provided by SD).
    MP has IDs which are just plain numbers.
    There is absolutely no relationship between these two sets of IDs.

On the other hand, channel numbers are different.
    In theory, mc2xml's channel numbers should match Freesat's, which in turn may match MediaPortal's.
    However as previously indicated: there's no way to export a compatible mc2xml.chl list from MediaPortal.

I'll try that approach first
    Okay. Don't hesitate to sing out if you get stuck.

No problem seems this exercise is going to be a completely manual approach unfortunately, shame
    Yes, manual, sorry... but on the bright side, it shouldn't take more that 10 minutes, and you only have to do it once. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom