Unable to get STB working. (2 Viewers)

Donald J. Michaud

Portal Pro
September 14, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
For almost one month now, I have been struggling to get a new DVR configured. Let me give you some history so that you know what my end goal is.

I am currently running WIN7 with Microsoft Media Center for the software. The hardware is a Hauppauge HVR-2250 tuner card with it’s built in IR transceiver, a Comcast Set-top box (model DCI05COM1) which is a small Digital-to-Analog (DTA) converter.

I need to get a new DVR arrangement created because when I upgrade WIN-10, the Media Center software goes away. I would like to continue to use the Hauppauge HVR-2250 tuner card, but now upgrade to MediaPortal (either 1 or 2), IR Server Suite for the IR Blaster functions, and a USB-UIRT blaster (new because I cannot get the Hauppauge IR Blaster to work with WINTV8 or MP). I bought Jon Rheese’ USB-UIRT unit, loaded the drivers, but cannot get it to function.

On the forum there is a page that talks about HD-PVR and Colossus cards with IRSS integration. (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/hauppauge-hd-pvr-colossus-support.94850/) The problem is I still cannot get it to function. The TV tuner shows a blue screen during PREVIEW. I am in the USA, and cannot figure out what decoders to use. I can get WIN-TV8 to work; I just cannot change the channels because the Hauppauge does not support my STB.

I am willing to work with someone to get this operational. I need to get two computers set up the same. Once I can get one working, then I know what to do for the other. I have been in the IT industry for 25 years and this one has me “on the ropes.”

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome Donald :)

I am currently running WIN7 with Microsoft Media Center for the software. The hardware is a Hauppauge HVR-2250 tuner card with it’s built in IR transceiver, a Comcast Set-top box (model DCI05COM1) which is a small Digital-to-Analog (DTA) converter.

I need to get a new DVR arrangement created because when I upgrade WIN-10, the Media Center software goes away. I would like to continue to use the Hauppauge HVR-2250 tuner card, but now upgrade to MediaPortal (either 1 or 2)
    Okay, understood.
    Before continuing, it would be helpful if you could decide whether you want to use MediaPortal 1 or 2. I could help you set up with one or the other... but if you then change your mind, you'll have to setup all over again, which is frustrating for both of us.

and a USB-UIRT blaster (new because I cannot get the Hauppauge IR Blaster to work with WINTV8 or MP).
    Well that's very odd.
    Configuring a USB-UIRT is far more complex than configuring a Hauppauge Blaster, so if I were you I would be using the Hauppauge Blaster if at all possible.

With regards to getting the Hauppauge Blaster working...

You would need to install and configure the Hauppauge IRBlast software/driver for the blaster. Presumably you already have that done since you have the blaster working in WMC, right? For the record, you can get the software from the Hauppauge support page for the tuner (in your case: http://hauppauge.com/site/support/support_hvr2250.html - "IR Blaster" tab).

To get it working in TV Server (MediaPortal):
    1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Go to the "plugins" section.
    3. Enable the "ServerBlaster" plugin.
    4. Go to the "manual control" section.
    5. Click "stop service"... then "start service".
    6. Expand the "plugins" section in the left hand pane.
    7. Go into the "ServerBlaster" sub-section.
    8. Select blaster type "Hauppauge".
    Assuming that you've previously configured the Hauppauge IRBlast software, that's all you need to do to get the blaster working. IRSS is not required. After that you have to add all your channels and get guide data for them. Easiest way to do that is with the SchedulesDirect plugin.

The TV tuner shows a blue screen during PREVIEW.
    There is a known BSOD issue with 2250 analog scanning:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/hvr-2250-scanning-channels-causes-crash.102858/

Without full details about the problem, I'm not sure if that's what you're experiencing.
    In any case, my advice would be the same: don't use preview for testing. It simply isn't a good indication of whether a channel is working, even if a BSOD wasn't occurring. Test in MediaPortal, after configuring codec settings.

I am in the USA, and cannot figure out what decoders to use.
    Sorry, I don't understand. Which decoders are you referring to?

I can get WIN-TV8 to work; I just cannot change the channels because the Hauppauge does not support my STB.
    This also doesn't make sense to me. If the Hauppauge software doesn't support your STB then how did you get the Hauppauge Blaster working with WMC? :confused:

I am willing to work with someone to get this operational. I need to get two computers set up the same. Once I can get one working, then I know what to do for the other. I have been in the IT industry for 25 years and this one has me “on the ropes.”
    I'm glad you asked for help, and I'll be happy to help you if you can make a decision about MP1 vs. MP2 and answer all the questions above. :)

Regards,
    mm

Donald J. Michaud

Portal Pro
    September 14, 2015
    Home Country
    Thanks for being willing to help me.
    I am on the fence about both versions. I am leaning towards MP2.
    a. Schedules Direct. I like the ability to have a "TV Guide" product that will allow me to record tv shows and movies automatically. Is this feature available in MP2, either built-in or through the plug-in? Based on the plug-in section, it appeared that this feature was only available in MP1. Maybe MP2 offers a similar functionality, just not through the Schedules Direct plug-in.
    b. I bought the USB-UIRT unit because I could not get the IR Blaster to work with the Hauppauge WinTV-8 software. When I reached out to Hauppauge for support I, I was told that Hauppauge IR Blaster did not support the Comcast DTA STB protocol. I needed a universal IR Blaster to change the channels. If you can make this work, GREAT.. let's try!!
    c. IR Server Suite. For the external channel changer function, do you think this is needed since you made the IR Blaster comments earlier? If it is determined to be needed, is it compatible in MP2?

I think MP2 is the better choice since it is going to be around longer with more support and functionality only to get better. However, I am willing to go with MP1 now only if the above it not available at this time. Then later upgrade once new plug-ins offer the functionality I need. THANKS!! djm

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    a. Schedules Direct.
    SchedulesDirect is a plugin for the TV "back-end". The "back-end" TV support in MediaPortal 1 and 2 is currently almost identical. Therefore it will be possible to get SchedulesDirect working with either MP1 or MP2.

b. I bought the USB-UIRT...
    I'm not saying I can make the Hauppauge blaster work. What I'm saying is that if the Hauppauge blaster works with WMC then it should also work with MediaPortal (...and WinTV).

Do you or do you not have the Hauppauge blaster working with WMC on Windows 7?

c. IR Server Suite. For the external channel changer function, do you think this is needed since you made the IR Blaster comments earlier? If it is determined to be needed, is it compatible in MP2?
    It's really simple.
    If you use the Hauppauge blaster then you do not need IRSS.
    If you use the USB-UIRT then you do need IRSS.

The same answer that I gave for the SchedulesDirect plugin applies for the IRSS TVE3 Blaster plugin. They're both back-end plugins, therefore both can be made to work with either MP1 or MP2.

I think MP2 is the better choice since it is going to be around longer with more support and functionality only to get better. However, I am willing to go with MP1 now only if the above it not available at this time. Then later upgrade once new plug-ins offer the functionality I need.
    As above: since MP1 and MP2 use an almost identical back-end for TV support, SD and IRSS are available. You will need to use other differences to make your decision. The download page gives a short description:
    https://www.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-download

Note that the table is not an exhaustive comparison. For example, MP2 currently doesn't support closed captions or changing channel by channel number... but the table doesn't say that.

Donald J. Michaud

Portal Pro
    September 14, 2015
    Home Country
    OK. So how do you change the channel? In my system Channel 54 is FX. In Windows Media Center, on my computer keypad, I can type 54 ENTER. WMC will send "5" "4" "ENTER" to the IR Blaster, change the STB to 54 and then I see FX on my computer. To get to channel 54, what does MP1 make me do? What does MP2 make me do?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    To get to channel 54, what does MP1 make me do?
    MP1 can be configured to behave the same as WMC.

What does MP2 make me do?
    Instead of typing 54, you would have to type the index of the channel (or select the channel through the menus). For example, if you had the following channel lineup/list:
    1. FX
    2. NBC
    3. HBO
    4. CBS
    5. ESPN
    ...you would type 1 for FX, 2 for NBC etc. If you typed 54, that would select the 54th channel in your list/lineup.
    The channel numbers that you set in the back end (eg. 54 for FX) would still be blasted to the STB correctly. It is just a question of how you select the channels in the front end.

Donald J. Michaud

Portal Pro
    September 14, 2015
    Home Country
    OK so I can make them match in MP2... maybe. Can I skip a channel index? I have a channel 13 is my local ABC affiliate WZZM. I do not have a channel 14, but I have channel 15, which is syndicated WGN (out of Chicago). Does MP2 require a sequential listing?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Donald J. Michaud

Portal Pro
    September 14, 2015
    Home Country
    OK. So if I want to use MP2 as my DVR, the only restriction I see is the Channel listing. Here is my workaround.
    I can have the channels match. When there is a "skip" or a channel not present in my line-up, I will simply need a filler or dummy channel. Using my example above (I have a channel 13, which is my local ABC affiliate WZZM. I do not have a channel 14, but I have channel 15, which is syndicated WGN out of Chicago), Channel 14 is required as a filler in order to keep the channel lineup in the same order as what my cable company provides.

If I were to enter "14 ENTER", MP would simply go to a channel that has not signal and display/record a blue or black screen, or whatever happens when no signal is detected. As a label, I would give it a name of "NOT AVAILABLE" or "NO CHANNEL PRESENT" so that I know this channel does not exist if I were to go to by mistake.

If my description above is correct, then I would like to move forward with MP2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom