Unable to play Recorded TV unless Live TV is watched first (2 Viewers)

Zepman

Portal Member
July 28, 2010
I already mentioned that thread in my first post ...
:oops: I missed that.
Hey, that's OK. I made the mistake of not reading it thoroughly. ;)

CONFIRMED! It's the MiniDisplay plugin. When the plugin is disabled, Recorded TV records will play without problems.

It doesn't matter which settings the MiniDisplay plugin has. If it's enabled, the user will need to watch Live TV first on a MediaPortal restart before he can watch Recorded TV.

Steps to reproduce (note: you will need a preconfigured MediaPortal 1.1.0 final TV Server!)

1. Install MediaPortal 1.1.0 and the TV client final clean (no upgrade!) on a Windows 7 x64 system.
2. Start MediaPortal configuration.
3. Enable the MiniDisplay plugin.
4. Configure the MiniDisplay plugin. If you normally don't use MiniDisplay because you don't have a supported device, use "Generic Serial Character VFD/LCD driver".
5. Save and exit.
6. Start MediaPortal.
7. Try to play something from the 'Recorded TV' section. This will fail.
8. Watch Live TV for a few seconds.
9. Try to play something from the 'Recorded TV' section. This will succeed (as will any other further usage of the Recorded TV section).

Thanks, arion_p, for giving this vital clue. :)

I believe this is a bug. Could a moderator change the state of this thread?

[edit]
Made it more clear that this bug affects Windows 7 x64 with a clean MediaPortal 1.1.0 final installation.

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    What we are missing here is why does it happen for some people only.

I also use MiniDisplay with iMon on a Win7 x64. When I first upgraded to RC2 I got the same error as you. I did an uninstall and reinstall and I've never had the issue again since then. In the mean time I have upgraded to RC4 and then to 1.1.0 final and still no issue. Of course I still use MiniDisplay.

Zepman

Portal Member
    July 28, 2010
    What we are missing here is why does it happen for some people only.

I also use MiniDisplay with iMon on a Win7 x64. When I first upgraded to RC2 I got the same error as you. I did an uninstall and reinstall and I've never had the issue again since then. In the mean time I have upgraded to RC4 and then to 1.1.0 final and still no issue. Of course I still use MiniDisplay.
    So you first re-installed RC2 clean, then upgraded to RC4 and then to final. That's a very different situation.

Try to install 1.1 final on a clean computer (hell, use a virtual machine). Use the steps I mentioned and the bug will occur. I have tested these steps on three different Windows 7 x64 systems. All systems suffer from the same bug. In contrast, a Windows XP x86 system is not affected by this bug.

I will expand the steps required to reproduce this bug to make it clear that it always happens on a Windows 7 x64 installation with a fresh (not upgraded) MediaPortal 1.1.0 final installation.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I can confirm this issue. I have a brand new Win7 x64 since 1.1 and have installed a very clean 1.1 :)

Recorded TV works fine but if I enable Mini-display with the debug window option I can only play recorded TV once I have started live TV. Same error in logs
    Code:
    2010-07-28 23:47:54.604492 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: TSReaderPlayer: Exception while creating DShow graph Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {B9559486-E1BB-45D3-A2A2-9A7AFE49B23F} failed due to the following error: 800700c1.
    which after a quick scan of the registry appears to be the MP File Reader

Arion can you comment on this before I add to Mantis

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    The issue is quite old as you know. We never had exact steps to reproduce at will and the error itself is very weird. MP File Reader A.K.A TsReader is obviously a valid executable image, since it gets loaded properly when starting live TV. Also both live TV and Recorded TV use the same code path to build and run the graph.

Now we have new information, as it appears that disabling MiniDisplay solves the issue. I cannot even imagine how these could possibly be related but tests show they are.

So considering the weirdness of the issue I don't think I have anything useful to add.:(

Zepman

Portal Member
    July 28, 2010
    So considering the weirdness of the issue I don't think I have anything useful to add.:(
    You will probably look back one day and laugh about the silliness of the problem and the solution.

Just not today. ;)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    too bad I cannot reproduce and I'm a MiniDisplay user since the beginning...
    I have used Mini-Display for a long time on HTPC but that is on XP. Have udpated dev machine to Win7 x64 in last couple of weeks so OS install is very clean and MP 1.1 is about the only thing installed

Just had a thought, my dev machine is client to tv server on XP box. Looks from logs that OP is running single seat though.

Is odd as I can reproduce this totally that with this clean an install (I still have not actually installed any plugins or skins yet) I get the same error adding TSReader to graph. If I watch live TV first I do not get this error, if I disable mini-display I do not get this error.

In Mantis I did link an old report of this from RC5 or 6 but they resolved it with a new install.

Can not understand it but given how clean my system is and that I can reproduce it, there is an odd bug just hidden deep deep down. I will not attempt another install of MP as I guess I can reproduce this issue but is not causing me an issue as I do not use Mini-Display on here

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    too bad I cannot reproduce and I'm a MiniDisplay user since the beginning...
    I have used Mini-Display for a long time on HTPC but that is on XP. Have udpated dev machine to Win7 x64 in last couple of weeks so OS install is very clean and MP 1.1 is about the only thing installed

Just had a thought, my dev machine is client to tv server on XP box. Looks from logs that OP is running single seat though.

Is odd as I can reproduce this totally that with this clean an install (I still have not actually installed any plugins or skins yet) I get the same error adding TSReader to graph. If I watch live TV first I do not get this error, if I disable mini-display I do not get this error.

In Mantis I did link an old report of this from RC5 or 6 but they resolved it with a new install.

Can not understand it but given how clean my system is and that I can reproduce it, there is an odd bug just hidden deep deep down. I will not attempt another install of MP as I guess I can reproduce this issue but is not causing me an issue as I do not use Mini-Display on here

I'm on Windows7 x64 and MP 1.1.0 and cannot reproduce :(

There for sure msut be a special setting / step order to kill it but I cannot figure them out. :sorry:

Simone

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom