Unable to play x264 after upgrading to 0.2.3.0 (1 Viewer)

Atarian

Portal Member
November 26, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Everything works if I use a codec like coreavc to play the files, but I want to use my hardware to decode everything. Does anyone have any ideas at all? Please?

riadmelb

Portal Pro
July 9, 2006
Melbourne
Home Country
1080p H.264 Videos

Everything works if I use a codec like coreavc to play the files, but I want to use my hardware to decode everything. Does anyone have any ideas at all? Please?

You cannot use hardware acceleration with nearly all of 1080p H.264 videos available up to this day, simply because hardware acceleration doesn't like the way these videos are encoded (more than 4 references or something like that). This is not MediaPortal related problem.

Not sure how/when this will be fixed, but until then, I'm back using CoreAVC which plays every single 1080p video I have.

Riad

Atarian

Portal Member
November 26, 2007
Home Country
is there a way to only use coreavc with 1080p stuff and have it use hardware for everything else?

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    Using the PDVD7 .264 codec works great AND it has the Hardware Accel checked inside its properties. To get it to run I had to disable .264 from FFDShow as it always wanted to take control. Also, the AutoLoad tip inside Haali got my copy of 300.mkv's video running... it was audio only before that (inside MP) eventhough it would play (correctly) using MPC and Haali, directly.

uncertainty

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2007
    NYC
    Home Country

You cannot use hardware acceleration with nearly all of 1080p H.264 videos available up to this day, simply because hardware acceleration doesn't like the way these videos are encoded (more than 4 references or something like that). This is not MediaPortal related problem.

Not sure how/when this will be fixed, but until then, I'm back using CoreAVC which plays every single 1080p video I have.

Riad

The same issue causes most 720p H.264 videos to play at 20fps instead of the normal 23.976....

phunqe

Portal Pro
    April 28, 2007
    So you have to install VSFilter to make this work?

It works with every other media player, what is MP actually doing to play a file? I want to use ffdshow's subtitle filter, not crappy VSFilter which is seriously outdated.

wewantphil

Portal Member
    October 29, 2007
    hey, I figured I would post back to this thread as it's been a while, I did not resolve the issue with the Final release of 0.2.3.0 and my MKV files. However, I was working on an unrelated issue I was having trying to get my HVR-950 tuner up and running. One of the things I tried was applying today's SVN. I applied it directly over my RC3 install (did not uninstall RC3 and install the final release). Anyway, long story short: my MKV files play as they did with RC3 and I'm on the latest code. So I am wondering if there's something "wrong" with the 0.2.3.0 setup program... this may not fix your issues but I thought it valuable enough info to include here...

riadmelb

Portal Pro
    July 9, 2006
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    hey, I figured I would post back to this thread as it's been a while, I did not resolve the issue with the Final release of 0.2.3.0 and my MKV files. However, I was working on an unrelated issue I was having trying to get my HVR-950 tuner up and running. One of the things I tried was applying today's SVN. I applied it directly over my RC3 install (did not uninstall RC3 and install the final release). Anyway, long story short: my MKV files play as they did with RC3 and I'm on the latest code. So I am wondering if there's something "wrong" with the 0.2.3.0 setup program... this may not fix your issues but I thought it valuable enough info to include here...

Maybe the latest svn fix the issue?

wewantphil

Portal Member
    October 29, 2007
    riadmelb: yep. tell you what, yet another unrelated issue I was (and still am) trying to resolve. this time I'm trying to get the flipping webbrowser.dll to work and also the netflix plugin, neither agree to behave. anyway, I have now installed the regular non-RC3 0.2.3.0 installer and applied the latest SVN trying to get those plugins to work. the plugins don't work, but my MKV files do. so you're clear to install 0.2.3.0 plus the latest SVN and your MKV files should work

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom