[TV] Unable to record/watch consecutive shows on the same channel (2 Viewers)

bnsaflsujt

Portal Pro
January 12, 2010
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Sorry to post so quickly back to back, but here is an example. I tried to tune 1 channel on an analog tuner, then stopping it, so that it would automatically choose an ATSC tuner if it could. You can see it steps through first priority, then second, third, fourth, all tuning just fine. But once it had tuned once on the same tuner, it couldn't again.

View attachment 54759

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

As I understand, this is a hybrid card. Therefore you have to configure it in TV server setup, as it can only use one type of tuner at a time. I'm probably not explaining this very well, but check the documentation for hybrid card setup.

It is also worth removing your other card and seeing if you can get the 2250 to work on its own.

Best wishes,

Mark

bnsaflsujt

Portal Pro
    January 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Let me elaborate a little further, it is a hybrid (can tune atsc/qam/ntsc), but I am only using the ATSC part. No NTSC at all. Since none of my recordings are scheduled on NTSC tuners, I can leave my cards ungrouped, because they do have 2 ATSC tuners each, and those are the only ones I am using. This was also how it worked with only my EHD-100, but it didn't matter to me at that time, because I only used NTSC. I have now switched over because my provider finally started airing all of their channels on a digital equivalent. Therefor, EHD-100, Hauppage 2250, neither work on tuning ATSC major channels consecutively on the same tuner.

jaymode

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2008
    Home Country
    I can confirm that the Hauppauge HVR-2250 and HVR-1800 function properly on Windows Vista SP2 without the the TV Pack installed. Moving up to Windows 7 on the same hardware and same drivers as Vista for the Tuners causes the system to exhibit the channel changing problems described in this thread. I speculate that the issue is caused by changes that Microsoft introduced in their TV Pack and Windows 7 MC. tourettes stated that they had changed their network provider in the following thread:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/general-support-51/cant-record-watch-channel-same-time-58725/

bnsaflsujt

Portal Pro
    January 12, 2010
    Home Country
    What is meant by network provider for the tuners? Is this meaning network as in IP's/Subnet/MAC/etc, or some other type of network that is not associated with computer networking??? Would there be anyway for a quick fix to have the tuner quickly tune to a unused major channel, before switching to it's final channel?

jaymode

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2008
    Home Country
    The network provider for the tuners is the API used to talk to the TV tuners by mediaportal. It is documented by Microsoft here: BDA Network Provider Filter (Windows)

I attempted to implement a fix described in the thread I referenced above, but that only worked every 1 out of 5 attempts.

bnsaflsujt

Portal Pro
    January 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Wow... Never heard of it! Anyways, it seems as if it should work if that were the case. On the page you sent me to, it did say that all previous network providers were supported backwardsly (isn't a word... i think!). Guess they missed something. What about that idea I had about tuning an unused major channel (like 1-0) before or after a tune, so that the next will bring it off of that?

jaymode

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2008
    Home Country
    I am relatively new to this stuff as well, but I think it would work by tuning any different channel prior to tuning the one you want, although it would be a dirty hack and I believe that there is a proper solution out there. WMC does not exhibit this behaviour and I believe it uses the same API.

bnsaflsujt

Portal Pro
    January 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Well, I guess the best thing to do is to see how many other people have this problem. I guess the more that do, the quicker a fix would be done. So, if you have Windows 7, or Windows Vista w/TV pack, and use ATSC/QAM, please do this and post back with the results:

Open TV-Setup,
    Click on Manual Control
    Click on any ATSC tuner
    Choose any ATSC channel
    Click "Start Timeshifting"
    Click "Stop Timeshifting"
    Either click "Start Timeshifting" again, or choose another Sub-channel on the same Major-channel again (ex if you were on 75-1, try 75-1), then click "Start Timeshifting"
    Does it throw an "Unknown Error"? If so please post here! Please include your card type as well, or any other errors/oddities you may have noticed!

Edit: I believe that this person was probably exhibiting the same problems, but there fix is no good for me. My only 2 providers are generic and ATSC, and when I choose ATSC, I get a cannot start graph error.
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-1-1-0-beta-1-454/dvb-t-cannot-tuned-second-time-solved-75329/

bnsaflsujt

Portal Pro
    January 12, 2010
    Home Country
    So far, my tv-server hasnt been able to tune anything today, out of countless recordings... Is there anyone else that has this issue??? What about that crude fix (change to a different major channel that is never used before going to final channel?). This is about to be a showstopper for me and mediaportal, until it gets fixed... Especially with new episodes of 3 shows on tonight! If I can't rely on this thing to record tv yet, I'll have to switch back. PLEASE DONT MAKE ME!

Thanks in advance for the help!
    -James

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom