Unable to watch live TV

Discussion in 'General Support' started by GlamRockCowboy, March 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GlamRockCowboy

GlamRockCowboy Portal Pro

Retired
    Fairview, TN (ca. 20 mi. SSW of Nashville)
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    Show System Specs
    Over the past couple of days, my attempts to watch live TV have all resulted in an error message stating, "Unable to create graph." Windows 10 has updated itself on my system a couple of times during this period, so that may or may not have some bearing on the problem. This concerns me, as I'm a SKYWARN volunteer storm spotter here in the United States, and I need to be able to watch live TV to help keep up with local weather conditions. I've attached my most recent logs concerning this problems. Any suggestions?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. HTPCSourcer
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

HTPCSourcer MP2 Product Manager

Ratings:
    +2,400 / 22
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Please download and install the update for the update, which was released by Microsoft yesterday: KB4015438.

A simple update search on your system should yield this one as a result. If not, download it manually.

4. GlamRockCowboy

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    I did as you suggested. My system indicated that this update was already installed. The TV is still showing "Unable to create graph". The latest logs are attached.

5. HTPCSourcer
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

HTPCSourcer MP2 Product Manager

Ratings:
    +2,400 / 22
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Hello,

Given the frequent issues with last week's cumulative Windows update, I have to admit that I didn't look into the logs.:whistle: Obviously you have a different problem. Unfortunately I won't have time to further analyze before Friday but I trust that somebody else will be able to help you before that.

6. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

mm1352000 Development Group

Ratings:
    +8,205 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi @GlamRockCowboy

The error comes from TV Server. The TV Server log file reports that TV Server thinks all 3 of the PRIME's tuners are being used by other software/devices, and so TV Server is unable to use them. If you don't think that should be possible:
    1. Reboot the PRIME, then restart the TV Server. This will enable TV Server to start using the PRIME again.
    2. Ensure you've configured any security software (particularly firewalls) properly. Security must allow ICMP network packets to be sent from the PRIME to the PC running TV Server. If those packets are blocked, the PRIME's tuners won't be released properly when TV Server finishes with them. Eventually this will get you into the situation you're in now (TV Server thinks it can't use any of the tuners because somebody/something else is using them).

7. GlamRockCowboy

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Sorry I haven't gotten back any sooner, but life intervened in one way and another! Anyhow, I rebooted the PRIME as suggested. Even with that, however, it took both a regular reboot, and then a "hard" reboot (i.e., pushing the reset button) before I finally got Live TV back up and running. I am now awaiting the Windows 10 "Creator's Update" to be installed. I only hope and pray that THAT doesn't cause further problems! I've attached my most recent log files for your reference.

8. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

mm1352000 Development Group

Ratings:
    +8,205 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I did say to restart the TV Server (ie. the tvservice Windows service installed for MediaPortal TV support) after rebooting the PRIME.

Here's a tip for avoiding hard reboots...
    You needed to restart the TV Server service to solve the problem.
    The existence of hybrid shutdown (AKA fast boot) means that "rebooting" by selecting shutdown on the Windows power menu - followed by pressing the power button again to start the system - won't actually restart Windows services. This would explain why your regular reboot was ineffectual.
    It shouldn't have been necessary to resort to a "hard reboot" though. Instead you could have:
    • Restarted the single service (this is what I was recommending) through TV Server Config manual control, net start/stop tvservice etc., OR...
    • Restarted Windows (ie. select the restart option on the Windows power menu).

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!