Unable to watch live TV (1 Viewer)

GlamRockCowboy

Portal Pro
October 25, 2015
Fairview, TN (ca. 20 mi. SSW of Nashville)
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Over the past couple of days, my attempts to watch live TV have all resulted in an error message stating, "Unable to create graph." Windows 10 has updated itself on my system a couple of times during this period, so that may or may not have some bearing on the problem. This concerns me, as I'm a SKYWARN volunteer storm spotter here in the United States, and I need to be able to watch live TV to help keep up with local weather conditions. I've attached my most recent logs concerning this problems. Any suggestions?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Please download and install the update for the update, which was released by Microsoft yesterday: KB4015438.

A simple update search on your system should yield this one as a result. If not, download it manually.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

Given the frequent issues with last week's cumulative Windows update, I have to admit that I didn't look into the logs.:whistle: Obviously you have a different problem. Unfortunately I won't have time to further analyze before Friday but I trust that somebody else will be able to help you before that.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi @GlamRockCowboy

The error comes from TV Server. The TV Server log file reports that TV Server thinks all 3 of the PRIME's tuners are being used by other software/devices, and so TV Server is unable to use them. If you don't think that should be possible:
    1. Reboot the PRIME, then restart the TV Server. This will enable TV Server to start using the PRIME again.
    2. Ensure you've configured any security software (particularly firewalls) properly. Security must allow ICMP network packets to be sent from the PRIME to the PC running TV Server. If those packets are blocked, the PRIME's tuners won't be released properly when TV Server finishes with them. Eventually this will get you into the situation you're in now (TV Server thinks it can't use any of the tuners because somebody/something else is using them).

GlamRockCowboy

Portal Pro
    October 25, 2015
    Fairview, TN (ca. 20 mi. SSW of Nashville)
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Sorry I haven't gotten back any sooner, but life intervened in one way and another! Anyhow, I rebooted the PRIME as suggested. Even with that, however, it took both a regular reboot, and then a "hard" reboot (i.e., pushing the reset button) before I finally got Live TV back up and running. I am now awaiting the Windows 10 "Creator's Update" to be installed. I only hope and pray that THAT doesn't cause further problems! I've attached my most recent log files for your reference.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Anyhow, I rebooted the PRIME as suggested. Even with that, however, it took both a regular reboot, and then a "hard" reboot (i.e., pushing the reset button) before I finally got Live TV back up and running.
    I did say to restart the TV Server (ie. the tvservice Windows service installed for MediaPortal TV support) after rebooting the PRIME.

Here's a tip for avoiding hard reboots...
    You needed to restart the TV Server service to solve the problem.
    The existence of hybrid shutdown (AKA fast boot) means that "rebooting" by selecting shutdown on the Windows power menu - followed by pressing the power button again to start the system - won't actually restart Windows services. This would explain why your regular reboot was ineffectual.
    It shouldn't have been necessary to resort to a "hard reboot" though. Instead you could have:
    • Restarted the single service (this is what I was recommending) through TV Server Config manual control, net start/stop tvservice etc., OR...
    • Restarted Windows (ie. select the restart option on the Windows power menu).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom