Unhandled Exception error (1 Viewer)

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I deleted C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Database\TVSeriesDatabase4.db3, uninstalled the TVSeries Plugin, restarted my computer, reinstalled the plugin, tried to enter the configuration of the plugin when I got the screen which I posted a few posts back. So I think that this is a fresh new database??? I wanted to just start from scratch and get TVSeries working again as the wife is waiting to watch a new show.

I try to use the default screen settings. I did upgrade from 1.3RC to the official 1.3 and I also let it use the titan skin since this seems to be stable since it is with the official 1.3

Should I go back to the previous skin?

Check the "TVSeries.SkinSettings.xml" file indeed as @ltfearme pointed out. It contains the logo rules and other rules, which might have become corrupted for some reason. If you attach a zip version of that file it might assist in figuring out what happened to it and how to prevent it in the future .

The reason this problem kept coming back to you, is because when you uninstall a plugin it leaves the skin files alone. During re-installation the XML skinfile in question has a newer filedate then the plugin wants to install, which causes it to skip over it (it assumes you made modifications to it that you wish to keep).

Switching to a 'different' skin would solve that, but if you go into your active skin folder just delete all the XML files that look like "TVSeries.xxxxxx.xml" along with "TVSeries.xml" itself. Then delete "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Database\TVSeriesDatabase4.db3" again and reinstall the TVSeries plugin ontop. This will then put all the new skin files into the right place which should not re-corrupt the database.

PS: There is no reason to reboot when doing this, because MediaPortal does not have an OS lock on the files you are replacing.

PPS: You might have NTFS journal corruption, so I strongly advice to run a scan. Via "Computer" -> right click "C:" drive and then "Tools" tab -> "Check Now" button -> "Automatically fix for file system errors" enabled, you can run the same test. If OS has a lock on the drive, you will get a message and just use the "Schedule disk check" option and then reboot, so during pre-boot it can run the scan properly and fix any errors.

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Please attach your tvseries.skinsettings.xml from the titan skin folder.

You can also try the following:
    1. Enter configuration.
    2. Change Skin to DefaultWide.
    3. Exit Configuration
    4. Delete your TVSeries database.
    5. Restart configuration.
    6. Enter TVSeries Configuration.

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hey Rochess,

we dont touch skin files as we dont install them so I advise against deleting them unless the skin is reinstalled as well ;) We only install it for Default/DefaultWide skin, every other skin is handled by their own installer.

Last edited:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Hey Rochess,

we dont touch skin files as we dont install them so I advise against deleting them unless the skin is reinstalled as well ;) We only install it for Default/DefaultWide skin, every other skin is handled by their own installer.

My bad, I thought Titan was considered a v1.3 default skin and therefore I thought MP-TVSeries included it as well. Guess I should have double checked on the repo.

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Why is windows so bad at searching for files? I did a search for TVSeries.SkinSettings.xml on my computer but cannot find this file. Could you hold my hand and point it out for me?

Thank you very much
    -S

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Why is windows so bad at searching for files? I did a search for TVSeries.SkinSettings.xml on my computer but cannot find this file. Could you hold my hand and point it out for me?

The "C:\ProgramData" is a hidden folder by default, so skipped in Windows search, unless you enable advanded options.

Start Button/Screen -> All Programs -> Team MediaPortal -> MediaPortal -> "User Files" -> open "skin" folder -> open your 'active' skin folder -> hit letter 'T' and you will be almost there (all the Trakt.xxxx.xml files are first)

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    Thanks for holding my hand. I ran the checkdisk program on my drive and it needed to restart to do this, but it didn't report any problems, or just fix them as I didn't see the output. I found 3 TVSeries.SkinSettings.xml files and have labeled them based on where I found them then ziped them together. I decided to try and launch the TVSeries config again and this time it worked but it had to rebuild my database.

So I am up and running again but I would love to help if there is a bug that you can gleen from my xml files.

Thanks
    -S

Attachments

• TVSeries.SkinSetting.zip
      9.6 KB

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I don't see anything wrong (do not have that much experience with v1.3 skin files though).

It could be that you simply had some NTFS journal corruption. And yes, you will not really see much results back from a scan (some info is stored in event viewer), unless you ommit the /F parameter, then it will tell you an easy "I found problems, please use /F to fix them" (or the checkbox in GUI).

And when you recreate the same file that you deleted with NTFS corruption still active, it can indeed go wrong. The fact that after you ran a chkdsk and now it all works, appears to point into that direction.

Either way glad you got it solved. Just keep making backups, so you do not have to go through this pain again :)

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    Both of your help is much appreciated! Thank you for taking your time to look at the problems that I was having.
    -S

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom