Update MySQL 5.1 to latest 5.6 version (2 Viewers)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The more I think about this fix, the more I think there are options to go wrong on upgrade. I have seen this personally.

My feeling is that we should keep this as simple as possible. Install MySQL 5.6 on new installation but not change anything on upgrade.

Then if someone has a working system and they choose to not upgrade MySQL, then can carry on as before. However, if they want to upgrade MySQL they can do a complete clean install.

Sure, a complete install is a pain, but far less then if an upgrade goes wrong and you then have to do it anyway.

netexplorer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 21, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    i have already installed MP 1.5 with my current MySQL 5.1 installation. What is the best way to upgrade to V.5.6? Use the installer on first post anyway, or should i use a procedure described in Wiki?

netexplorer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 21, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    so I go ahead with this and ran the installer.
    After the setup completes, i checked the tables with Workbench and they are still in Mysam format.
    Then i try to convert the tables with the provided SQL code, but the record and program table fails with index to long error.
    But i want to use InnoDB to get a better stability.
    Google didn't help with any solution, so i test some options with Workbench.
    The manual option to Alter the table to InnoDB results with success!
    But row format was set to Dynamic, so i try again to convert the table from Dynamic to Compact and this worked too.
    Both steps in one action results also with error. I have to do it step by step.
    Now i have a working DB. I hope this maybe help someone else.

markus_g

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2006
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    The more I think about this fix, the more I think there are options to go wrong on upgrade. I have seen this personally.

My feeling is that we should keep this as simple as possible. Install MySQL 5.6 on new installation but not change anything on upgrade.

Then if someone has a working system and they choose to not upgrade MySQL, then can carry on as before. However, if they want to upgrade MySQL they can do a complete clean install.

Sure, a complete install is a pain, but far less then if an upgrade goes wrong and you then have to do it anyway.

Hi,
    If doing a complete install to upgrade MYSQL. Will a backup using 'backup settings' from a MYSQL 5.1 database work as a restore to a MySQL 5.6 version?

Regards,
    Markus_g

D3ltoroxp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi is this right, the full installer is for users they have MP1.5 with MySQL 5.1 and would update to SQL 5.6 without new installation ?

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,
    This old installer permit to upgrade existing installation for 1.5.0 (don't exactly remember) this code was ported in next MP release but only on fresh install.

D3ltoroxp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I will not make a fresh install, so i would updated only the mysql database and after this i will update MP to 1.6. So with this old installer its the right way for me to become mysql 5.6 without fresh install ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom