1. We plan to roll out a major software update (XenForo 2.1) to the forum within the next 24h. If you post a thread or answer to an existing thread it may not get ported so please keep that in mind. New member registrations won't be possible until we finally switched.
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrade System : Motherboard for AM2(+) ? | Page 2

Discussion in 'Mainboards / CPU / RAM' started by Der_Bub, May 20, 2009.

1. Imokles
    • Premium Supporter

Imokles MP Donator

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    My HTPC runs on an "Asrock A780FullHD" mainboard equipped with an Athlon X2 5500e (Boxed cooler). The board is equipped with an onboard Radeon 3200 which I use for playback on my HD ready display (I run a resolution of 1366x768).

I can really recommend this setup. The Asrock board has a very fine grained fan settings configuration so the boxed cooler really is inaudible. The PC is also equipped with a BluRay drive and an X-FI Xtreme Music sound card. Total power consumption in idle is about 70W which goes up to something around 90W during playback.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MLH01
    • Premium Supporter

MLH01 MP Donator

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    Show System Specs
    Yes, the 5050e is becoming more popular now, with the same TDP (45W) as the 4850e. In fact, the 4850e has recently dropped off the list of AMD CPU products at the online computer store where I normally go. It has been replaced with the 5050e and the newer 7750 and 7850 series Athlon X2's.

Good to hear the 780G is more than adequate for HD playback. I might even try the onboard GPU before considering a separate graphics card when I get a HDTV...

4. Der_Bub
    • Premium Supporter

Der_Bub MP Donator

Ratings:
    +60 / 2
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Well, µATX board and not so any possibilities to extend the system (in the furure), also if you use a GPW which uses two ports (because of cooling), one PCI isn't usable.

====

What about ASRock A770DE ?

5. drealit

drealit Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Which M2N68 are you looking at? Over here in the states I can't seem to find a reliable retailer that still sells this board. The 2 I found were the -VM and -AM which both retail at $70 and $90 american dollars vs. the 740G's tag of only $55 american dollars depending on where you buy it. Also that board is a nforce based chipset which I wouldn't want in my computer (nvidia specifically). ATI all the way for HTPC uses.

Both of those boards I found also only had 2 PCI slots (most mATX boards do). Also over here in the states the 4550 has practically been pushed out by the HD 4650... 4550 for example costs at least $40+shipping at newegg... the HD 4650 however is priced at just over $50 shipped. If you're patient you could even get a HD 4670 at that price range. For all around processing, the HD 4650/4670 man handle the 4550 out of the picture.

Prices might be a much different story over seas though... and if it's true I feel bad for you fellas :(.

6. Der_Bub
    • Premium Supporter

Der_Bub MP Donator

Ratings:
    +60 / 2
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
  7. etheesdad
    • Premium Supporter

etheesdad Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +68 / 0
    Could you link to these posts? I havent read anything to this effect and would be interested to have a look....

8. MLH01
    • Premium Supporter

MLH01 MP Donator

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    Show System Specs
    Yes, I'd like to find out more as well.

etheesdad: Do you have any issues with your HD4550 displaying on a HD TV with MP? I'm looking to buy a card soon, but would like some feedback from someone who has one in case there are issues.

9. etheesdad
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +68 / 0
    No. I have had no probs with Australian HDTV (which as I understand it is 720p and 1080i). Crystal clear with this card. Also plays 1080p fine (you can see rest of system specs on left). Im really happy with the card, and I had done a lot of research prior to buying, which is why I was surprised to see a reference to someone having issues with it. Ive never seen anything to this effect on This Forum or on XPMediacentre.com.au Will be interested to see what the problem is as all the feed back Ive read has been positive. Makes me wonder if its a codec issue....?

Im using the Gigabyte flavour HD4550 - passively cooled. I got it from http://www.msy.com.au/PARTS/parts.pdf Currently they retail there for AU$65

• Like Like x 1
  10. MLH01
    • Premium Supporter

MLH01 MP Donator

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    Show System Specs
    Thanks etheesdad. I think I will go ahead and get one based on reviews and your (real-life) experience. The Gigabyte 4550 was the one I have my sights on, as it is passively cooled and should fit in my system easily. The price is good too.

As you say, it could be a codec issue, or perhaps a driver (Catalyst version) issue or even a bad card.

Cheers,
    MLH01.

11. etheesdad
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +68 / 0
    Im always jelous of PC hardware prices in the States :)

The 4550 is $65 here (Australia)
    the 4650 is between $90 and $106 depending on brand :eek:

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!