Upscaling? (1 Viewer)

alexeix

Portal Pro
January 28, 2005
UK
Can/does Media Portal upscale standard resolution PAL TV pictures, when played back on an HD display?

Same question for DVD pictures?

Thanks.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Can/does Media Portal upscale standard resolution PAL TV pictures, when played back on an HD display?
    It shouldn't be necessary for MediaPortal to do this - you can leave the "upscaling" to your HD display, or you can do the upscaling in the video card.

I would recommend that you leave the upscaling to your HD display - if you do any upscaling before sending it to the HD display, it is likely that the HD display will re-scale it again, anyway. But, to answer your query accurately, we really need to know exactly what HD display you are referring to and its technical specifications.

maxtrash

Portal Pro
    November 27, 2004
    Tilburg, Netherlands
    I would recommend that you leave the upscaling to your HD display - if you do

that doesn't make sense since that would require Mediaportal to switch resolutions depending on the content it's displaying? E.g. 1360x768 at the menu's and with HD-content, and 720x576 for PAL. Afaik it doesn't do this.

Besides my own TV (LG 37LC3R) doesn't scale very nicely. The desktop doesn't look to nice when it's not run on the panel-resolution. It's a pixel-perfect TV so it doesn't rescale anyway.
    This could be different though with other tv's and maybe also with my own since I run it on the 'hdmi (pc)' connection and there's also a second hdmi. Might try that one day.

knutinh

Portal Pro
    September 4, 2005
    If you connect your LG tv at 1:1 pixel to your PC and a SD tv picture is displayed at approximately fullscreen, then there is no doubt a scaler involved, as a PAL/NTSC picture would fill only a small rectangle of that screen unscaled.

If you want to switch PC resolutions adaptively you may want to investigate the small mediaportal plugin RefreshRateControl found on the website. Also, powerstrip will come in handy.

What is the reason that you are asking this question, are you not happy with the scaling quality? Did you try FFDShow?

15503d1167765552-video-deinterlace-inverse-telecine-skalering-video-signal-flow.gif

Possible signal-flow in a 60Hz-centric (US/Japan) country, given a 50/60Hz-only display

15504d1167765562-video-deinterlace-inverse-telecine-skalering-video-signal-flow_pal.gif

Possible signal-flow in a 50Hz-centric (Europe++) country, given a 50/60Hz-only display

Note that the logical blocks may occur in the source, the display or any black box along the signal chain.

-k

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Best scaling quality is often get with following:

1) buy a LCD display that can handle 1:1 input from PC ( VGA, HDMI, DVI ).
    2) Set you desktop resolution to that 1:1 resolution that the display can handle (most likely 1360x768)
    3) let VMR9 and videocard's hardware do the scaling

Muldini

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Best scaling quality is often get with following:

1) buy a LCD display that can handle 1:1 input from PC ( VGA, HDMI, DVI ).
    2) Set you desktop resolution to that 1:1 resolution that the display can handle (most likely 1360x768)
    3) let VMR9 and videocard's hardware do the scaling

Agree on 1) and 2), but anything > 1024x768 "upscaled" by VMR9 aint looking great unless you have some quality channel (e.g. ARD, ZDF in germany for example).

Imo there's a huge difference betweeen VMR9 "scaling" and lets say ffdshow.
    Afaik you cant deinterlace and scale using the GPU (ffdshow skips hardware acceleration), sadly im not deep enough into this to tell why this is.

I can show you a picture on my 1920x1080 LCD with just hardware deinterlacing on if you want, you wouldn't want to continue watching without a real scaler :)

But as you said "is often get" your post is ofc correct for most users that use low res TVs.

Regards, Muldini

P.S. From reading a lot of different threads about this topic, theres a lot of confusion about native res, 1:1 pixelmapping, overscan, scaling etc.
    Might be a topic for the wiki

Users who are viewing this thread