User experience with AMD 780G and MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have for MP 1.0 Final, havnt upgraded to 1.0.1 yet
    I use build 2217aU of PDVD8 Ultra, i find latest edition causes problems

Brutus

Portal Member
    December 19, 2005
    Belgium
    I installed pdvd8 build 2217, installed amd dual core optimizer, no difference, I went back to MP1.0 and now livetv h264 is back stable (no stuttering). It seems to be related to VMR9 changes (which I read from the fora, after Mp1.0 and svn build xxx, the VMR9 pin has changed), hopefully in MP1.0.2 there will come a fix !

jo16v

Portal Pro
    August 23, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    New BIOSes have been released for the GA-MA78GM-S2H and most of the other Gigabyte 780G boards that improve Phenom II CPU and audio compatibility :

GA-MA78GM-S2H rev 1.0 and rev 1.1 - F8a BIOS released Feb.10th, 2009 - download here.

GA-MA78GM-S2H rev 2.x - FCa BIOS released March 18th, 2009 - download here.

Other 780G boards here. Some have had a further update to CPU ID AGESA3.3.2.3.

INSTRUCTIONS: Run the executable to extract the files- you only need ma78gs2h.f8a or whatever the similar file is for your board. Put the file on an empty USB pen drive that is formatted in FAT 16/32. Restart system- press End button - the QFlash BIOS programme will start - locate your USB drive select the file and follow instructions to update BIOS. Don't touch anything or press any buttons while it updates! When it is finished restart system and press Delete to load BIOS- you may have to correct your hard disk boot order. Then load optimised defaults and save and exit.

See also further info at Gigabyte and this warning:

"Because BIOS flashing is potentially risky, if you do not encounter problems using the current version of BIOS, it is recommended that you not flash the BIOS. To flash the BIOS, do it with caution. Inadequate BIOS flashing may result in system malfunction."

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I installed pdvd8 build 2217, installed amd dual core optimizer, no difference, I went back to MP1.0 and now livetv h264 is back stable (no stuttering). It seems to be related to VMR9 changes (which I read from the fora, after Mp1.0 and svn build xxx, the VMR9 pin has changed), hopefully in MP1.0.2 there will come a fix !

I tried MP 1.0.2 makes live 1080i h264 unwatchable, was smooth in MP 1.0 Final. I'm gonna try a reformat+reinstall, but i think there is a problem with 1.0.1/1.0.2 and how it handles interlaced TV under VRM9 renderer (users using vista+evr seem ok)

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    I installed pdvd8 build 2217, installed amd dual core optimizer, no difference, I went back to MP1.0 and now livetv h264 is back stable (no stuttering)

I tried MP 1.0.2 makes live 1080i h264 unwatchable

I cannot confirm this. Smooth HDTV 1080i/50Hz with MP 1.0.2, adaptive deinterlaced (PDVD7 codec in DXVA-Mode, EVR, Vista 32, Phenom X3, onboard HD3200).

dbgurudk

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    TV-Server Version: 19843
    MediaPortal Version: 19843
    MediaPortal Skin: Indigo
    Windows Version: Vista home prem SP1
    CPU Type: AMD 4050e
    HDD: Samsung 500g
    Memory: KINGSTON DDR2 HyperX PC6400 2048MB CL4
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H
    Video Card: IGP
    Video Card Driver: 8.7
    Sound Card: Integrated
    Sound Card AC3: Integrated
    1. TV Card: FlopptyDTV
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-S
    1. TV Card Driver: 4.8.0 ?
    2. TV Card: Hauppauge HVR4000
    2. TV Card Type: Analog/DVT-T/DVB-S/2
    2. TV Card Driver: 4.6
    3. TV Card: Hauppauge PVR350
    3. TV Card Type: Analog
    3. TV Card Driver: 4.6
    MPEG2 Video Codec: PowerDVD 8
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPA
    h.264 Video Codec: PowerDVD 8
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Thor 2/3
    HTPC Case: Antec
    Cooling: default
    Power Supply: Mist 500w
    Remote: MCE/Hauppauge
    TV: LCD
    TV - HTPC Connection 1: DVI
    TV - HTPC Connection 2: VGA

This wasn't a cry for help but a warning, but I'm interested in finding solutions.....

doornjoostje:
    - Read the thread
    - Bios is F5
    - Memory is set to 512
    - Powerstrip fix the res (it's really 1360x768)

jmbillings:
    1- wmr9 is not HA i vista
    2- if you go into Catalyst Control Center you will see that you only have bob and weave as deinterlace options, there are other alternatives that are better.
    3- Press ! (shift+1) when watching a HD channel and see what happens, although if you are using WMR9 it's really the CPU that's doing all the work so it doesn't really matter.

Andy,
    you are correct EVR is the only way to get HA, and I have Aero enabled, disabling aero would also lead to a lot of tearing!

Hi KRA,

Can you watch the HD channels from Canal Digital with you setup smoothly?

If yes can you share your setup?

Thanks in advance.

KRA

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    This was such a long time ago... I got myself a Ati 4650 I believe, and disabled the build in card, never looked back. HD channels works fine with my setup now. If I remember correctly the 3200 had some limitations, I'm not uptodate on the situation but I believe some of the limitations where hardware related (like you needed a phenom HT3 cpu to get good deinterlace).

bart0190

Portal Pro
    January 17, 2009
    This was such a long time ago... I got myself a Ati 4650 I believe, and disabled the build in card, never looked back. HD channels works fine with my setup now. If I remember correctly the 3200 had some limitations, I'm not uptodate on the situation but I believe some of the limitations where hardware related (like you needed a phenom HT3 cpu to get good deinterlace).

Do you still use HT2 CPU? or a Phenom HT3?
    Did you try to overclock the HD 3200 or the HT to e.g. 1200 MHz?

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I recently upgraded from Athlon X2 EE to Athlon II x245 (Phenom like but without L3 Cache).
    While the price was cheap I finally get the full onboard capabilities - smooth HDTV yet still low idle power consumption.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom