VIDEO_TS folder playback problems but only from WD-3tb (1 Viewer)

Tesla

Portal Pro
January 30, 2009
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I’ve come across a strange problem and I’m hoping you guys can help me.

I have my collection of DVDs ripped to VIDEO_TS folders, and I play them from MediaPortal (just using plain Video Folders function). It has been this ways for years and works fine. Right now, it works on all my SATA, eSATA, and older USB 2.0 drives.

However, it doesn’t work from my new Western Digital MyBook USB 3.0 3-tb (Advanced Format) HDD. When I play them from here, it tries to play them, but it just returns to the list. Or, some start and you can watch them in real time (and they play fine … no skipping or LipSync issues), but as soon as you FF them or chapter skip, it bails out and MP returns back to the file list. None work properly from this drive, but copies of the same movies work fine from any other storage drive on the system.

The movies are fine because if I copy the VIDEO_TS folder over to one of the other drives, they play fine. Also, even when they are still on the WD-3tb drive, if I play them from PowerDVD-9 directly, they play fine. Not sure if it matters, but MP3 music files play fine from it. I benchmarked the WD-3tb drive and it looks fine (ATTO DiskBench reports it’s as fast as my eSata drive). I even loaded the latest firmware on the WD-3tb drive with no change.

I’m reaching out for help here because it seems to be a problem with the drive or the Win-XP32 … but everything I check outside of MP returns fine, so now I’m beginning to wonder. The only time I see a failure is inside MP.

This is Windows XP Pro 32 (SP3) with PowerDVD9. I loaded MP v1.1.3 and SAF v5.02 and that’s about it.

Just so you know, I have setup 4 MP computers over the past couple of years. We have been using XP because we just need a basic OS to run MP on and it runs faster on the older machines. My brother has 3 on his LAN, and I just have the one in the main room with the projector.

MediaPortal Version: 1.1.3 (DB = mySQL5)
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP-1.4.12.2620
Windows Version: XP Pro (SP3)
CPU Type: AMD Athlon-64 X2 4200+ (2.2 Ghz) Dual-Core
HDD: 4 x 1tb SATA (WD Black)
Memory: 2048mb (2 gb) dual-channel
Motherboard: Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H
Video Card: ATI Radeon 3200 IGP 256mb
Video Card Driver: CCC 10.7 (Driver 8.753)
Sound Card: Realtek HD (onboard ALC889A)
Sound Card AC3: S/PDIF - Optical out
Sound Card Driver: 5.10.0.6392
1. TV Card: Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 MCE 1183
1. TV Card Type: Analog/ATSC/FM (Hybrid)
1. TV Card Driver: 1.62.26028.0
2. TV Card: Nec DVD+/-RW-DL Burner
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: CyberLink PowerDVD 9
MPEG2 Audio Codec: FFDShow
h.264 Video Codec: SAF 5.0
Satelite/CableTV Provider: TimeWarner
HTPC Case: Onkyo TX-sr607 7.2 HDMI AVR (630 watts)
Cooling: JBL Speakers - Infinity Sub
Power Supply: 400 watt
Remote: MCE R-6 (w/ USB eHome IR Rx)
TV: Epson 8350 96" projector & Panasonic 46" plasma
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI-HDMI Conv. -> AVR / SPDIF -> AVR / From AVR -> HDMI Splitter -> Displays

Tesla

Portal Pro
January 30, 2009
Texas
Home Country
hi :)

please reproduced and attach full logs

Thanks in advance for the help. Please see attached.

The entries from 9-9-2011 are from a working movie on a good/different drive.

The entries from 9-10-2011 (today) are 2 tries at getting a movie to play from the WD-3tb drive.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

Unless I am going blind... the main Mediaportal.log file seems to be missing.

Can you please capture and post that.

Thanks,

J.

Tesla

Portal Pro
    January 30, 2009
    Texas
    Home Country
    Hi there,

Unless I am going blind... the main Mediaportal.log file seems to be missing.

Can you please capture and post that.

Thanks,

J.

I guess when Logs are set to "Warnings" in config, it doesn't always get created.

This is with the config set to Debug. It's there now.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Tesla

Interesting problem. So I take it this only occurs with specific DVDs? Is the behaviour consistent - like will a given DVD either always play or never play [from the 3TB drive]?
    Can you try the attached Core.dll so we can get some more detailed debug info:

1. Close MP.
    2. Take a backup of the Core.dll in your MP install folder.
    3. Download and extract the attached DLL into your MP install folder.
    4. Start MP and attempt to reproduce the problem again.

mm

Attachments

• Core.zip
      959.7 KB

Tesla

Portal Pro
    January 30, 2009
    Texas
    Home Country
    Hi Tesla

Interesting problem. So I take it this only occurs with specific DVDs? Is the behaviour consistent - like will a given DVD either always play or never play [from the 3TB drive]?

1. Close MP.

mm

Yes, it's very consistent. For example ...

The Madagascar DVD (VIDEO_TS Folder) will NEVER start at all (tries for 2 seconds and then the file menu refreshes). Many DVDs do this same thing. Others, like Madagascar-2 or Apollo13 ALWAYS start, but as soon as you try to FF or chapter skip, they stop playing and MP returns to the file menu.

These same movies, on internal SATA-300 or eSata-150 drives work fine. Even if I put them on an old WD 500gig 2.5" USB 2.0 drive, they work fine.

I will install this core file(s) and re-upload the logs again (still set for Debug).

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    These same movies, on internal SATA-300 or eSata-150 drives work fine. Even if I put them on an old WD 500gig 2.5" USB 2.0 drive, they work fine.
    This is the part that has me miffed. I'm aware that the hardware ecosystem is not entirely primed for internal 3TB HDD support right now (you need a 64-bit OS, UEFI instead of BIOS, and GPT partitioning), but my understanding is that the MyBook controller abstracts any of the trouble away so that the OS doesn't need to worry about that stuff. Maybe I'm wrong. Have you got a PC with W7 64 bit conveniently at hand that you could test this?

I will install this core file(s) and re-upload the logs again (still set for Debug).
    Logs for a working DVD with that DLL would be good too if you could - comparison makes it easier to spot issues.

[Edit: ...and logs for a DVD that *doesn't* work from the 3TB but does from any other drive would also be useful.]

Tesla

Portal Pro
    January 30, 2009
    Texas
    Home Country
    This is the part that has me miffed. I'm aware that the hardware ecosystem is not entirely primed for internal 3TB HDD support right now (you need a 64-bit OS, UEFI instead of BIOS, and GPT partitioning), but my understanding is that the MyBook controller abstracts any of the trouble away so that the OS doesn't need to worry about that stuff. Maybe I'm wrong. Have you got a PC with W7 64 bit conveniently at hand that you could test this?

Yes, that is the only thing different (that comes to mind) ... the 512 vs 4096. Thing is, I've copied over 2tb of files over to that drive without the slightest problem and benchs are below. It says on the box and website it works with XP-32. Yes, it's my understanding that the USB interface takes care of all the translations (and as you can see by the benches, does a good job). I bought it because it's big (not 7200-like fast).

I don't have MePo on a Win-7(64) machine right now (nor have I ever tried it) but it's not impossible if it comes to that.

Installed ATTO DiskBench32 v2.46

Using mostly defaults
    - 4.0 to 8192 KB, 256mb, Direct IO, Overlapped IO, Queue Depth 4.
    - - Recorded 1024 bars on each below for compare

C: W:115K R:125K (Internal 7200rpm SATA2-300)

G: W:80K R:85K (External 7200rpm eSATA-150)

M: W:24K R:23K (External WD 500mb on USB2) <-- they work fine here also

N: W:76K R:103K (External WD-3tb on USB-3)

N: W:25K R:23K (External WD-3tb on USB2 ... this one test only ... drive is normally on USB-3)

C, D, E, F, G and even USB2 M: drive work fine. Only the WD-3tb is a problem.

fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo C:
    Sector size on all the other drives is 512. On the WD-3tb ... 4096

Tesla

Portal Pro
    January 30, 2009
    Texas
    Home Country
    Hi Tesla

1. Close MP.

mm

Sorry, but just double-checking something ...

I'm running MediaPortal v1.1.3.0 (MediaPortal_Setup_1.1.3.exe)

If I install this core file, will it work with this version? Also, is there any chance it will mess-up anything? Like, do I need to run an Acronis Image of my C: drive first, while everything (except for the WD-3tb) is working?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom