VideoLAN external player plugin (2 Viewers)

cheetah05

Portal Pro
April 9, 2006
London
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Is it possible for this to take over the "My Movies" player? - if so, how?

EDIT:

I think i have figured this out, but I am not totally sure whether it is using VLC or now. I changed the extensions in the config of the plugin to include my movies ones. Is that correct?

EDIT AGAIN:

Does anyone have an extension string, so that it will use VLC Player to play most things including My Music Videos, My Trailers...etc...?

Also - what should the buffer be set to for a low powered machine? Current at 5000, it works fine, but its got a delay before showing the movie.

Thanks.

kkendall

Portal Pro
April 24, 2007
Gouda
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
skipstep back gives forward step with this plugin

I have a BIG problem with this plugin and my MCE remote.
If I use the BACK-arrow, like I normally use for skip steps, it skips forward! Especially frustrating while watching NBA basketball! Anyone with the same problem?

moiristo

Portal Pro
November 17, 2006
Enschede
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi,

I released a new version as MPI, which will show up in the Downloads section shortly (MPI->Others). See the OP for details. Note that you'll still need to add libvlc.dll to the MediaPortal home directory manually.

kkendall: I have checked the code for mistakes, but it doesn't seem wrong. The 'Step Back' action is attached to a medium step back, and arrow left to small step back. Maybe this version works for you?

@cheetah: Read the notes in the OP. I don't know what extensions My Trailers has, but you can probably find it in the mediaportal log. If you don't use Last.fm, you could also configure the plugin to play all streams that use the http protocol.

MeltedButter

Portal Member
February 18, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
VLC Plugin doesn't with foreign character names.

The VLC plugin (mostly)* works for me, except when I attempt to play a video with Korean (or Japanese or Chinese) characters in the filename or path. If I try, I get a black screen of nothingness until I hit esc.

The error log reads something like this.

Code:
2008-02-17 15:29:09.250000 [ERROR][MPMain]: OnMessage exception:System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
   at Microsoft.Win32.Win32Native.SHGetFolderPath(IntPtr hwndOwner, Int32 nFolder, IntPtr hToken, Int32 dwFlags, StringBuilder lpszPath)
   at System.Environment.GetFolderPath(SpecialFolder folder)
   at MediaPortal.GUI.Video.GUIVideoBaseWindow.LoadSettings()
   at MediaPortal.GUI.Video.GUIVideoFiles.LoadSettings()
   at MediaPortal.GUI.Video.GUIVideoBaseWindow.OnPageLoad()
   at MediaPortal.GUI.Video.GUIVideoFiles.OnPageLoad()
   at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIWindow.OnMessage(GUIMessage message)

I'm running MediaPortal_0.2.3.0_Setup.exe, vlc-0.8.6d-win32.exe, videolan_0.9.682.mpi. This is using a stock Media Portal 0.2.3.0 or using a custom core.dll that allows directx to render extended characters. Same behavior both ways.

* The only other issues with the plugin are that the video does not show up fullscreen sometimes (hitting x twice fixes it), and that fast-forward and rewind are FUNKY. It gets to a spot, starts playing correctly for a moment, but a few seconds later it'll randomly jump to a different part of the video. Those are minor issues for me. The Korean character thing my main wish.

Thanks for the plugin! I hope this is something that's an easy fix.

Pascal

Portal Pro
February 1, 2007
IJsselmuiden
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Moiristo,

Is it possible to add the extention .m4v into the configuration dialog. Some podcasts use this file extention.

Thanks in advance,

Pascal

crusoli

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Is there any way to make VLC the default player for DVDs on the harddisk (video_ts folder or video_ts.ifo)? They alwas get opened by the internal video engine?

moiristo

Portal Pro
November 17, 2006
Enschede
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Is it possible to add the extention .m4v into the configuration dialog. Some podcasts use this file extention.
l

Sure..for now, you can edit MediaPortal.xml, find the section 'vlcplugin' and add the m4v extension manually.

About the DVD thing..why would you want to use VLC for that? Anyway, I'll have to check how MP handles DVD's to see whether this is possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom