Vista SP1 Upgrade (1 Viewer)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    This is my experience of this update from SP1 cd.

I found that a lot of things did stop working including sidebar gadgets downloaded from M$ website, video's stopped playing (soundcard driver screwed, codec settings diasappeared etc), if you are going to update, cannot emphasise enough, do this on a totally clean Vista install with no updates, and certainly no other software installed, even the drivers i did after SP1 was loaded.

Hopefully this will stop someone from wasting there time installing things twice as i did.

This was for the English version, i assume similar problems would occur with different laqnguage installations.

Now time to make that all important image file.

:)

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    SP1 for Vista available to retail on the 19th... (apparently, so MS have said)
    SP3 for XP has been moved from the Connect site in preperation for delivery - watch this space :)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Now found Does not like Java, that seems to be why, some of the widegets actually stop working.

Now back to where i was before.

iosub, possibly the difference you may notice is ram usage, mines dropped from 1200mb used to a mere 800mb, that is just running Vista from a clean install, and that's with a memory rating of 5.9.

Fine if you do not need Java to run apps, but i'm not running a dedicated htpc, this pc i use for all, but at least it throws out things that other people may encounter.

iosub

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    San Sebastian
    Now found Does not like Java, that seems to be why, some of the widegets actually stop working.

Now back to where i was before.

iosub, possibly the difference you may notice is ram usage, mines dropped from 1200mb used to a mere 800mb, that is just running Vista from a clean install, and that's with a memory rating of 5.9.

Fine if you do not need Java to run apps, but i'm not running a dedicated htpc, this pc i use for all, but at least it throws out things that other people may encounter.

I have java running and is working perfect (version 6 update 5)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country

That's become the least of my problem's Creative Audigy driver keeps uninstalling itself and i'm now get nvidia dll errors, just on reinstall 2.

Considering it partitions of old windows install (so no leftovers), now found ther's a knack to this, install Vista, do all driver updates prior to installing SP1, does not like it the other way round.

Hopefully will be back in action tomorrow, sorry for only giving a condensed version, just trying to get sorted without problems.

iosub

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    San Sebastian

That's become the least of my problem's Creative Audigy driver keeps uninstalling itself and i'm now get nvidia dll errors, just on reinstall 2.

Considering it partitions of old windows install (so no leftovers), now found ther's a knack to this, install Vista, do all driver updates prior to installing SP1, does not like it the other way round.

Hopefully will be back in action tomorrow, sorry for only giving a condensed version, just trying to get sorted without problems.

For Nvidia I'm using driver 173.65 the best driver so far for Mp amd MCE.. the picture is clear (using 3 diferet computer with Nvidia 7300 and 8600M)

I have also a computer with creative audigy and is working ok, I will check the version of the driver and tell you

Iosu

buffalome902

Portal Member
    February 19, 2008
    Just a comment, I have several machines running both Vista pre SP1 and xp pro sp2....After much pain and experimentation I have made a conciece decition to use xp pro sp2 as the platform for my media system,,,,,,Vista i am using on a very vanilla machine, Vista is cute , but the driver problems, lack of program compatability and difficulties with audio digital/5.1/spdif, etc really made Viista a very unattractive option for my living room.

Thanx, Terence buffalome90210

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom