Vista SP1 Upgrade (1 Viewer)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I tell everyone to make backups... but making them myself ? Nooo sir... I don't need to !

hehe, been there.

Hope everything fine now, and get some sleep.

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    some sp1 experience here also...

i install sp1 and first thing to notice was that network transfer between LAN computers was a bit faster, nothing to go...:eek: but it did improve.

now comes the bad side, since i have sp1 i get constant (no response) in explorer windows when trying to do several things at the same time. i need to wait a couple of seconds (up to 20 some times) till explorer is available again.

anyone experiecing this? probably i will do a fresh install and SP1, if it continues then no SP1

Furetto

Moderator - Dutch Forums
    April 11, 2005
    Brussels
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    One week later... and about 10 reinstalls later :D

I got my hands on a DVD with SP1 integrated, which is compatible with the license I have for Vista Business. I tried in total for 3 or 4 times with this version, I don't manage to get anything out of my FloppyDTV. Even The FireDTV Viewer cannot see my channels.

Whereas if I install with my non-SP1 DVD, I get them without any issue. In both cases I did a normal install and then simply installed the FireDTV drivers. I am starting to wonder if on this particular release of Vista Business SP1 the support for BDA might be missing... I did not find specific indications to this, but some comments on a different forum about BDA support not being present in Windows server 2008 triggered this thought.

I am currently finishing this install of MP, with TV-server of about 20 days ago. As soon as I am satisfied I will make an image of my system-disc and then start experimenting with more recent TV-server-SVNs as well as SP1.

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I got my hands on a DVD with SP1 integrated, which is compatible with the license I have for Vista Business. I tried in total for 3 or 4 times with this version, I don't manage to get anything out of my FloppyDTV. Even The FireDTV Viewer cannot see my channels.

I'm on a Vista installed with a SP1 integrated dvd and my FloppyDVB-S2 works like a charm.

Simone

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    SP1 covers every version of vista, so should supply the same updates, is it a case of if you do not have it hard luck.

Thats the difference i found with xp home and xp pro, why i choose ultimate over any other option, thinking nothing can go wrong and possibly the most supported version, doh

We now also have a quad core pc in the house, supplied with Vista Home Premuim (Wife, some people should not be allowed in shops :)), sounds Wizzy but actually slower at transcoding than mine, just have to leave her to it, be on the safe side.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    lol, I went Vista last week on my new HTPC.
    I don't really see any improvements on it over XP but I do notice quite a few things where I prefer XP.

I installed SP1 pretty much straight after the install, so haven't seen any places where SP1 caused issues, but then again, I may just think it's a Vista issue, since I never really used it without SP1.

Overall I am greatly underwhelmed by Vista.

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Marcusb:

That was my impression too ... I remember thinking: "Wow, what's all the fuss about, this is just XP with some eye candy"

I know that there are some big improvements under the hood, but it just feels like XP with lipstick on, especially when you poke around a bit and find all the old XP dialogs in there.

If it's not reliable then it doesn't matter how good the improvements under the hood are... I don't get the advantage if it doesn't work.

All I know is my own experience ... I've had to reinstall Vista 3 times in a short period. My XP Pro SP2 + Updates 24/7 HTPC is very reliable now, so I'm not going to risk ruining that by moving to Vista.

I'm still not 100% sure if Vista will take over from XP or if it's just the next Windows Millennium Edition... But my gut says that given time Vista will become stable enough to take over the reigns... It's just not there yet (still).

Cheers,

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    On my HTPC Vista runs a lot better then XP, I can use EVR, Smoother video, DirectX10 seems to work a lot better with the onboard X1250, hardware accelleration for Mpeg2 works now, ATI AVIVO now actually working. I am sure there is more, but overall my HTPC performs better now then with XP.

lots

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom