Vista vs. XP - please post your pros/cons (2 Viewers)

Shivian

Portal Pro
November 24, 2007
Home Country
On Vista I have the problem that when watching TV in fullscreen for a longer time and then trying to leave MyTV by pressing ESC / ESC the whole GUI and it's animations are getting sluggish for about 5 seconds while there seems to be heavy disk activity. I don't see this problem with XP.
Sometimes Superfetch can load stuff you don't really want it to load. Try disabling it.

Oh no - not again...
:D

Shivian

Portal Pro
November 24, 2007
Home Country
Sometimes Superfetch can load stuff you don't really want it to load. Try disabling it.
Already done, but does not fix it. Must be something different.
The only thing I can think of is that Vista is paging something back in (probably MediaPortal). I'm not sure how you can force MediaPortal to not be paged out in the first place when playing a video or TV. You could try disabling the page file entirely to see if that is causing the problem but it isn't a very nice solution. Some programs may have trouble with that and you also have to have a lot of RAM.

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    I secretly find this thread MOST amusing - there are so many people looking for the definitive answer ;)

I guess it's just my sadistic masochistic tendencies again ;)
    (Punish me PD...!!! #sounds of whiplash#)
    lol

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    On Vista I have the problem that when watching TV in fullscreen for a longer time and then trying to leave MyTV by pressing ESC / ESC the whole GUI and it's animations are getting sluggish for about 5 seconds while there seems to be heavy disk activity. I don't see this problem with XP.

Is there anything which can be tweaked on Vista to get rid of this anoying beahvour?

Thanks.

Did you allready turn off the Windows Search service? (config panel>system manager>services scroll down to Windows Search, right click on it, properties, shut down and disable) it could be that when pressing the ESC button, the search service starts to index the time shift folder.

It can also be your virus scanner that starts to scan your timeshift folder when the timeshift files are closed.

Just tried a few times myself.. no problem here..

Lots

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Vista updates the system volume information folder whilst the system is 'quiet' - that means if you are running an app for a while the OS will thrash the disc(s) for a while (usually at 100% of the disc process)
    It's just meta data (data about data) and there's NOTHING you can do about it...

Just Google something like system volume information problems...

lol :)

mcraenz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I secretly find this thread MOST amusing - there are so many people looking for the definitive answer ;)

Um...yeah....I think I already gave a definitive answer. Vista is Much better....I read it on the Internets!

fromaron

Portal Pro
    October 18, 2007
    Home Country
    Um...yeah....I think I already gave a definitive answer. Vista is Much better....I read it on the Internets!

I tried Vista twice already and both times reverted back to XP.
    My first attempt using Vista Home Basic I couldn't get system to operate reliably (crashes and wake up to a black screen, loosing my TV card etc). Using Vista utimate with a lot of fixes applied the system was working faultlessly, nevertherless I still went back to XP as in both cases I had one problem, which is most likely hardware related. In both attempts, my PC refused to wake up for scheduled recording and only runing XP fixed the problem. I was trying MPStandByHandler and MCE Standby tool to no avail. As I understand under Vista my computer was going to suspend mode too quickly, stopping TVServer before it updates system scheduler. If I happened to wake up PC manually, the recording happened.
    Other than that I didn't really had problems with Vista.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

I guess it's just my sadistic masochistic tendencies again ;)
    (Punish me PD...!!! #sounds of whiplash#)
    lol

Hrhr - there IS a definitive answer - just the first post isn't updated :p

Whenever possible - use Vista!
    - many advantages of EVR + DX ext. (e.g. if you want to use PC HDMI -> AVR -> Display connection)
    - possibility to watch DRM'ed media :rolleyes:
    - far better standby / resume experience
    - cheaper (than MCE OEM)
    - decent codecs and DVD navigator bundled for free
    - out of the box support for the superior VMC remote (Philips SRM 5100)
    - far better SMB performance (at least to Vista / W2k8 Servers)

Hm .. was there any reason to use XP? :D
    Don't get me wrong - I've been hating Vista long enough as well but for HTPC it is the better choice.
    Just don't use the 64 Bit version if you aren't sure that your hardware is well supported.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom