Vista vs. XP - please post your pros/cons (1 Viewer)

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I believe the comment was in relation to the success of the OS, NOT that it was in any way related to the architecture.
    Sometimes the irony is lost on some people ;)

Vista - some love - most hate.
    The fact is there are pro's and con's for both OSs'. It's true that Vista does some things VERY well and it IS a progression. The sad fact is that M$ did it's usual trick of making us all beta testers instead of releasing a stable OS that would fulfil everyone's requirements (I know, it's an impossibility but you have to try!).

There will ALWAYS be the people who hate change too - sometimes M$ seem to change things fr the hell of it, with no real advantage visible to the end users. This I think is the problem with Vista - nothing technical - just that M$ decided to hype Vista beyond all proportion, getting the techie crowd all excited, and delivered something that the public couldn't see the point of, and the techies tended to hate (generally).

"You pays you money, and takes your choice" - that's the mantra here. MP is fantastic on BOTH OSs' and that should be the point.
    XP or VISTA (Or Windows 7) - IT'S YOUR CHOICE! Don't harangue or lambaste people just 'cos they prefer one or the other.

Personally I can't see any major advantage of Vista - Note the 'Personally' bit, that's MY choice!

Can we PLEASE put this to rest and move on...?

I have experience of both XP and Vista on the HTPC as quoted on the left...

On this system Mediaportal works a lot better under Vista then under XP. Changing over from XP to Vista was an instant performance improvement overall for the HTPC...Again.. on THIS system.

That is just my experience...

Once I also changed 98 for ME, I still remember the head aches I had because of this.. what a mess!

Lots

grubi

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

On this system Mediaportal works a lot better under Vista then under XP. Changing over from XP to Vista was an instant performance improvement overall for the HTPC...Again.. on THIS system.

Seems that different people have different experiences (link).

Did you mesure that performance gain or is it just your feeling?
    Personally I was not able to measure performance gains when changing from XPSP3 to Vista when comparing identical systems (I have a few dual boot systems for testing). Most often it was the other way round. Very often I found that people reporting those improvements did also some hardware modifications (more RAM, new graphic card) when switching to Vista and so results are not comparable. However Vista has a few improvements under it's hood when technically mature could be considered an improvement for real world systems. So I'm quite optimistic about Vista 2nd edition ;) (so called Windows 7).

Disclaimer:

This is my very personal opinion based on my very personal experiences. Other people may have varying experiences leading to other opinions.

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Seems that different people have different experiences (link).

Did you mesure that performance gain or is it just your feeling?
    Personally I was not able to measure performance gains when changing from XPSP3 to Vista when comparing identical systems (I have a few dual boot systems for testing). Most often it was the other way round. Very often I found that people reporting those improvements did also some hardware modifications (more RAM, new graphic card) when switching to Vista and so results are not comparable. However Vista has a few improvements under it's hood when technically mature could be considered an improvement for real world systems. So I'm quite optimistic about Vista 2nd edition ;) (so called Windows 7).

Disclaimer:

This is my very personal opinion based on my very personal experiences. Other people may have varying experiences leading to other opinions.

No, this was not a feeling, but kinda measured. I had dual boot for a while before I decided to definitely go over to Vista. I was very sceptic about Vista in the first place too, hearing all the horror stories about hardware not working and all. The only thing that stopped working for me was the wireless network card, so I had to take that out and buy another one.

But as far as Mediaportal goes it was quite an improvement, I lost the tearing problems, and SD TV was much better, probably because of EVR now working properly (it seemed to work in XP as well, but not really sure about that). HD TV was still problematic, but later I found out that was because of performance issues with the onboard X1250. I must say I pretty quickly found out about the Search indexing service I had to turn off to get rid of excessive harddrive activity.. but since then Vista runs quite smoothly (knock on wood).

Lots

grubi

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    On Vista I have the problem that when watching TV in fullscreen for a longer time and then trying to leave MyTV by pressing ESC / ESC the whole GUI and it's animations are getting sluggish for about 5 seconds while there seems to be heavy disk activity. I don't see this problem with XP.

Is there anything which can be tweaked on Vista to get rid of this anoying beahvour?

Thanks.

crazyfool

Portal Pro
    October 8, 2008
    for me after having tried both i found xp to be better as it uses alot less resources and feels a little snappier... plus i had a number of issues with vista which i couldn't solve... but it would seem that as people have said before what works for me may not for others so its really about personal preference

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom