[VMR9] TV crashes with unhandled exception (1 Viewer)

wallywalts

Portal Member
January 29, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I havent played around with the modes too much but since turning off VMR exclusive mode I get zero crashes or lock ups whilst watching tv, so this is definitely an improvement, there is a slight amount of image tearing but this is acceptable.

I gather EVR stops the random flickering thats noticeable on news tickers and also makes the image look more like a digibox...but can crash randomly so not sure if I want to try this method just yet.

my video driver is 91.47 which sounds a lot more recent than yours and obviously it didnt fix the vmr thing

ram cant be the issue either cos I have 1.5 gigs in there.

Olodin

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 19, 2004
    I gather EVR stops the random flickering thats noticeable on news tickers and also makes the image look more like a digibox...but can crash randomly so not sure if I want to try this method just yet.
    That is what currently stops me from trying out. Currently I also live with tearing instead of crashes. Maybe later, I'm following the progress of EVR development.

my video driver is 91.47 which sounds a lot more recent than yours and obviously it didnt fix the vmr thing
    I did my initial tests with Video Card Driver: 163.75 and also tried some other new forceware releases, all with the same result. Maybe I should again dig through the forceware changelogs...

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I tried turning off VMR9 exclusive mode, but IMO the picture is not acceptable in this mode - really nasty tearing on any scrolling or panning pictures. With exclusive mode on, my system only seems to hang quite rarely (probably no more than once a week or so), so Im sticking with the odd crash for the sake of a decent picture.

It seems that all the people posting here are using FX5200 cards - is this just a coincidence or does this problem only happen with those cards? If using a different card would solve the problem, then that's a pretty easy (and not too expensive now) solution. I'm using an nForce mobo with integrated GF6100, but when I tried using that instead of the 5200 card the picture seemed to have lots of interference so I went back to the old PCI 5200. I could put a PCIe card in the machine though if it would solve the crashing and retain the nice picture quality.

Rob

Olodin

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 19, 2004
    It seems that all the people posting here are using FX5200 cards - is this just a coincidence or does this problem only happen with those cards?
    Rob

I tend to belive so also ... but I still hope that a dev could have a look into this. There were some fixes regarding VMR9 code in the last days (see changelog) so while they're on it...?

@any moderator
    Could you move this thread into the appropriate bugreport forum?

Olodin

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 19, 2004
    I'm now testing with a Geforce 7600GT and latest Forceware Release 169 if these crashes still occur. Lets wait and see...

Also saw some more posts of people with Nvida cards and crashes in the thread ATI 690G/x1250 problems.

Olodin

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 19, 2004
    I'm now testing with a Geforce 7600GT and latest Forceware Release 169 if these crashes still occur. Lets wait and see...

Also saw some more posts of people with Nvida cards and crashes in the thread ATI 690G/x1250 problems.

I have finally replaced my Geforce FX5200 with a new ASUS Board M3N78-EM and onboard Geforce 8300. Since a week or so no crashes anymore. The tests with a Geforce 7600GT and a Geforce 7800GS also were successful: no crashes. (But those cards where too loud.)

Since a Geforce FX5200 is so old I would recommend replacing it. :)

tattoozit

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2008
    this really wasn't the answer that I wanted to hear. but, it is what it is. I have been able to use the shortcut pluging (I think thats what its called.) to play tv through MP, but It seemed as though it didn't work so well. I'll keep testing.

toozit

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom