Wakeup from standby (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

If the HTPC, with MediaPortal installed of course, is to take over the place as the new VCR one feature has to be implemented: the ability to put the machine to sleep (standby) and making it wakeup again when it is time to reord something!

A

Anonymous

KingManon

I think you're right. There must be a quick and dirty way of sending a job (via an AT command) one minute prior to any scheduled recordings or myAlarm events. This "dummy" job could also remove any old MediaPortal jobs so they didn't pile up.

Could even use one of the windows opensource ports of cron if you wanted to incorporate this more into MediaPortal.

I've heard frodo say before that standby functionality is already supported in MediaPortal, but I've also read more recently MrMario64 say it doesn't work yet. Neither have elaborated as to why exactly.

Would be nice to get a workaround going until frodo implements the way he really wants it to be done. Also be one less thing for him to get hassled about just now.

I am going to put a pointer on devos myAlarm thread to see if he knows anyway to get this to work.

A

Anonymous

using the windows scheduler if you set:
- run once
- wake the computer to run this task

Then there is no need to delete anything.

I guess the task can be either "mediaportal.exe" to run MP, or some other args/exe to start recording.

I think the awkward part comes from the fact there is no option like: "put the computer back to sleep when task completes".

A

Anonymous

epoch1970 said:
I think the awkward part comes from the fact there is no option like: "put the computer back to sleep when task completes".

Actually I think that is the easiest part. In your Power Options, you would just set the computer to standby or hibernate after XX minutes of inactivity.

The tricky bit that needs a developer is to get MediaPortal to write an event to Scheduled Tasks for every programme you set to record automatically.

Hey but I'm not a developer; so I'm only speculating.

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I've heard frodo say before that standby functionality is already supported in MediaPortal
    huh? i must have been drunk;-) cause its not supported yet
    There is one big problem

1. Say you have a tvguide of 7 days
    2. start MP, goto tvguide, select a program and hit enter to
    record it. Now choose :
    -Record everytime on every channel
    or
    -Record everytime on this channel

MP cannot know on forehand when the program appears.
    reason: your tvguide holds data for only 7 days

So suppose it goes to standbye and the next time this program appears is 10 days later->MP wont awake

Frodo

A

Anonymous

frodo said:
    I've heard frodo say before that standby functionality is already supported in MediaPortal
    huh? i must have been drunk;-) cause its not supported yet

Sorry, I misread what you said here:

http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.s...ewtopic.php?t=921&highlight=standby+hibernate

After re-reading it, it is obvious that you are taking about forcing into standby not waking it. My bad... :oops:

frodo said:
    So suppose it goes to standbye and the next time this program appears is 10 days later->MP wont awake
    Frodo

Your absolutely right. Such advanced features would be very tricky. However the likes of AT allow for repeat schedules everyday, same day every week, same time on certain days (ie workdays).

I suppose you could assume that most people would open MediaPortal at least as often as the TV grabber is refreshed. Then whenever the EPG is re-initialised (F3 style action) it checks for new scheduled programmes and adds them to the scheduler.

Dunno, I'm no developer so I can only speculate as to what can actually be done.

Does anyone know how any of the other opensource HTPC apps do it. What's their approach? mythTV, freevo, etc.

A

Anonymous

frodo said:

Not that this is a very important feature for me ATM but I as a user have no issues with only beeing able to schedule a recording within a 7 day period.

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    7 was just an example
    what if your tvguide has only 2 days?

guess it all depends on how many days are in your tvguide.xml

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom