WALL-E Region B BluRay disc playing issues (1 Viewer)

Joaquin

Portal Member
December 28, 2013
Home Country
Spain Spain
Please check if the 1.16 section is available here and create a proper bug report for us.

There is no 1.16 section available... I guess it is only visible to developers, so please Administrators move this post to the proper thread. Thank you.

Please watch this WALL-E Region B BluRay disc playing issues (video contains annotations).

I have installed the latest Java update available today in Oracle's website. I have the latest version of LAV filters (0.69.0) and MediaPortal is set up to always use LAV for any video format, even to use the LAV splitter source. You can get all the details by downloading the attached MediaPortal log.

I hope all this material will help you. Maybe I could send you a BD disc for testing, please send me a private message if you are interested.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the report, video and log files Joaquin (y)

Problem 1:
    MediaPortal's "movie disc inserted" popup should appear, as it has always done. But it does not.

This is a bug. We'll see if we can create a fix for you to test in the next week.

Problem 2:
    The background picture appears some seconds after the menu. It's expected to appear at the same time.

I'm not sure about this one. Does the background picture and menu appear at the same time when you play the disc in other software or with a physical BR player?

Problem 3:
    I press NEXT and the next item starts playing. It is an advertisement but for some reason the player keeps this copyright message on screen.

(Please refer to the comments below.)

Problem 4:
    Have you noticed the subtitle "Vamos" ("here we go" in Spanish)? It's OK it to appear, but only appears that word (the rest of subtitle track is omited)

Do you see other subtitles when you play the disc in other software or with a physical BR player?

Problem 5:
    After pressing MENU, now the main menu will appear after an unexpected long delay.

I'm not sure what causes this delay.

Problem 6:
    A picture should be overlayed containing the menu items, but that picture appears with an interlaced-like distortion that makes it unreadable.

Problem 7:
    An interlaced-like overlay keeps being visible over the Walt Disney Blu-Ray video.

Problem 8:
    The movie starts and the overlay distortion keeps being visible!

Two comments for problems 3, 6, 7 and 8...

First, your MP config file (MediaPortal.xml) shows that you have configured post-processing for Blu-Ray (wiki link):
    <section name="bdplayer">
    <entry name="usefilter0">yes</entry>
    <entry name="filter1">LAV Splitter</entry>
    <entry name="usefilter1">yes</entry>
    <entry name="filter2">LAV Splitter Source</entry>
    <entry name="usefilter2">yes</entry>
    <entry name="filter3">LAV Video Decoder</entry>
    <entry name="usefilter3">yes</entry>

This configuration doesn't look right to me. Having two video codecs in the graph might cause various problems including delays and distortion. Therefore please remove this configuration.

Second, your DirectX debug info shows that you have configured Windows text scaling at 125%:
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)

I wonder if this could be contributing to the problem. Please try to use standard scaling (100% = 96 DPI).

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi :)

Thanks @mm1352000 for his good analysis.

BD-J is not perfect so we can expect some bugs but the 'interlaced-like overlay keeps being visible' i didn't seen this on my side from the BD-J collection i have so it's maybe related to 'post-processing' like explain @mm1352000

I can tell that sometimes, it's needed to do fast-forward (from remote or keyboard) to bypass some advertising video and also to make it appear video menu.

Sometimes the subtitle lang and audio are not correctly set but we change them from MP context menu (F9 key).

Most of BD-J works but maybe this one has issue too so a upload sample if issue persist could be nice to have.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    I have tested your mediaportal.xml file on my side with some BD-J disk and it was ok.

You can add some env value that will create also a BD-J debug file (i have set mine to root D:\) but you can put it where you want. It can maybe help too.
    So you need to create both : BD_DEBUG_FILE and BD_DEBUG_MASK value :p
    upload_2016-12-26_8-2-12.png

Edit : The disk i have played was a copied to HDD, i will test tonight a real disk to be in the same configuration as you :)

Joaquin

Portal Member
    December 28, 2013
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hello again team. Let's see, I will asnwer first mm1352000 and then to Sebastiii.

For both of you: I am ripping an ISO of the physical disc disc. I will upload it to a file sharing service and send you a link via a private message. I will also post any playback issues I may find.

Edit: Please do not expect for this ISO to be available before December 27.

mm1352000: I'm sorry cannot test the disc on a “true” software (PowerDVD) player / physical player. I had a very old copy of PowerDVD that came with my BD-ROM but it's lost somewhere.
    - As long as I remember, first issue (background picture appearing delayed on the main lenguage selection menu) did not happened on PowerDVD.
    - Ommited subtitle track in the advertisement that starts with "Here we gooooooooooo": I have made another test in MediaPortal and it seems Disney has not subtitled all the advertisement. I have viewed the full advertisement and some subtitles appear later, but not all. In any case, the advertisement is not visible (black screen), just the audio is played.
    - BluRay post-proccessing: As the attached picture denotes there are not post-processing options defined in my MediaPortal configuration for BluRay (also for DVD). It's strange.
    - Text scaling: I have set it at 100% and restarted the HTPC. Problems still occur.

Sebastiii: I have attached you the log generated thanks to environmental variables. I hope it will help.

Thank you!

Attachments

• bd-postprocessing.jpg
      bd-postprocessing.jpg
      48.7 KB
    Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    - As long as I remember, first issue (background picture appearing delayed on the main lenguage selection menu) did not happened on PowerDVD.
    We'll need to confirm this somehow.

- Ommited subtitle track in the advertisement that starts with "Here we gooooooooooo": I have made another test in MediaPortal and it seems Disney has not subtitled all the advertisement. I have viewed the full advertisement and some subtitles appear later, but not all.
    For now we'll consider this part to be not an MP problem. This could be confirmed by checking which subtitles are displayed by another software or hardware player.

In any case, the advertisement is not visible (black screen), just the audio is played.
    If this is a bug, fixing it would be beyond my skill. I could only speculate
    1. Maybe it is related to the post-processing config.
    2. Maybe it is related to these BD reader log entries:
    25-12-2016 21:19:49.844 [ 1258]SCHEDULING --- was negative -> 0
    25-12-2016 21:19:49.849 [ 1258]SCHEDULING --- was negative -> 0
    25-12-2016 21:19:52.448 [ 1258]SCHEDULING --- was negative -> 0
    3. Maybe it is a codec-specific problem. You could check this by trying other video codecs such as "Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder" (which you already have installed), ffdshow, MPC-HC, CoreAVC, Cyberlink etc.

- BluRay post-proccessing: As the attached picture denotes there are not post-processing options defined in my MediaPortal configuration for BlyRay (also for DVD). It's strange.
    Ahhh, I see - it was my mistake.
    Your config file contains:
    Code:
    <entry name="filter0">undefined</entry>

...so the other configuration that I saw is ignored.
    :oops::oops::oops:

Having said that, the log file still shows that the LAV video codec was added twice:
    [2016-12-25 21:19:08,383] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - Added filter: LAV Video Decoder to graph
    [2016-12-25 21:19:08,394] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - Added filter: LAV Video Decoder to graph

Like you said, it's strange... :confused:

- Text scaling: I have set it at 100% and restarted the HTPC. Problems still occur.
    Okay (y)

The interlaced-overlay/distortion is really puzzling. To me it almost looks like some kind of pattern with incorrect scaling (that's why I suggested the scaling config). The possible sources that I can think of are:
    1. The video codec.
    2. The Java overlay.
    3. The video renderer.
    As mentioned above, you are able to try different video codecs. With MP 1.16 PR you can also try different video renderers - Enhanced Video Renderer (EVR) and MadVR.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    @Joaquin thanks for log and PM us when disc available :)

Otherwise my JAVA version from log is :
    Code:
    bdj.c:175: Opening C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.7.0_17\jre\bin\server\jvm ...
    bdj.c:478: BD-J check: OK
    bdj.c:590: bdj_open()
    bdj.c:175: Opening C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.7.0_17\jre\bin\server\jvm ...
    bdj.c:628: Java version: 1.6

Maybe you can try to install this version instead of your current one and see if it's better :)

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    @Joaquin :p

Can you try the attached bin, you need to backup and replace existing one, it's only about the "movie disc inserted" fix.

Attachments

• Core_reverted_mount_code.zip
      1.1 MB

Joaquin

Portal Member
    December 28, 2013
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hi, friends. At this moment I am zipping the 35 GB ISO file of this disc and trying to upload it to some file sharing services. It will last some hours. Then I will send you (Sebastii) a private message with the download links (feel free to share it with another developers).

Just to say that I have been testing with different combinations of decoders (LAV, ffdshow, microsoft DVD for MPEG-2) and renderers (EVR, madVR) with no good results. I al so installed a virtual drive and loaded the ISO. The same result :( Sometimes the videos play, sometimes not... In any case I can't get rid of the “interlaced-like menu distortion” that you have seen in the video.

I will try the BIN and the older Java release when all the ZIPs are uploaded... I will need just a few hours...

Edit: Yesterday I played another disc (I don't remember which one) resulting in the same interlaced-like distortion.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Thanks for the feedback :p

Best to stick with LAV Video and Audio because the DEV are working with those filter :)
    So i think it surely related to JAVA version but i'm not sure, you will tell us :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom