WASAPI can't play DTS files (1 Viewer)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Xonar users do have this license? :D

For their code / HW only. Also the limitation seems to come from BASS, so we cannot do anything about it.

update: what could work is to fake BASS engine to think that the DTS is PCM and then send it as unmodified RAW PCM to the amplifier.

Last edited:

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Well, dont know what needs to be done and if its possible at all. But it sounds sweet to me.
    I have a number of DTS tracks as well. Never noticed the issue, as I rarely play them.

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    well, copyright issue sounds like its not aplicable to me. But i am not educated on this.
    Why would copyrights be an issue if the only thing being done is reading and passing through to an external decoder?
    Just asking the question. :) Maybe I can learn something here :)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    well, copyright issue sounds like its not aplicable to me. But i am not educated on this.
    Why would copyrights be an issue if the only thing being done is reading and passing through to an external decoder?
    Just asking the question. :) Maybe I can learn something here :)

BASS developers probably are taking the safe route - DTS would be probably decoded in some cases and they dont want to have that pass thru only option. But that is just guessing, no clue what the actual DTS lisence say (who knows if it manages somehow to include the pass thru as well, which I doubt) nor I have no real knowledge why BASS developers have disabled DTS completely.

mrmojo666

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2006
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hi folks,

any news ?

would be possible to insert the fallback to directshow player when bass fails to decode dts ?

thank you

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You are expecting pass-through to happen by accident; this is just a WAV file which Windows (and BASS) think is a standard PCM WAV file.

This has only ever worked where you can ensure that the exact bits are not touched between the source and your amp. If this is the case then the amp will realise it is a DTS bitstream and decode it. If even just one bit is changed the amp will not think it is DTS and play it as standard PCM (as that is what MP thinks it is and what Windows is telling the amp it is) and you get white noise. Now when you think you have BASS, Windows, the drivers for your soundcard and your amp itself and these can all quite easily change things (eg. in non-exclusive mode windows will resample everything to one standard rate and this will break DTS in WAV output)

WASAPI in exclusive mode with upmixing disabled and your card being able to output at 24/96khz should work. Can you test with an actual 24/96 file (not a DTS bitstream) and if you amp has ability confirm you are getting out a 24/96 signal. Can you also confirm that these files work on other software (and if so does the amp show that it is getting a DTS bitstream or PCM?)

There is or was a plugin for WM player. I just added my dts files as pure DTS files (and I use ac3file to play them) and setup dts as an extension for this player. At some point (way) in the future I want to add MKA support and the ability to bitstream AC3 and DTS but that is a long way off unless I win the lottery and can give up work....

Last edited:

mrmojo666

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2006
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    thank-you for the reply but i didn't understand your point.... seems a bit sarcastic and little unfair but probably i'm not able to understand because i'm not so good in english.

i didn't asked you to do anything in bass player, but just if it is possible to make MP fallback to standard dshow player (that is able at least to decode dts files) in case bass player give to me an error as i posted at the first post
    [2013-07-02 13:12:11,696] [Error ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - PlaylistPlayer: *** unable to play - \\192.168.0.2\Music\Albums\Queen.Greatest.Hits.1.&.2.-.Native.DTS.96.24.5.1\01 Bohemian Rhapsody.dts - skipping track!
    i don't want bitperfect , but at least i'd like to use MP for all kind of music file whiuot have to co in configuration to change player manually

if it is not possible i will use foobar that is able to play all kind of files in wasapi.

bye

Last edited:

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    thank-you for the reply but i didn't understand your point....
    Whoops thought this was yet another thread about DTS in WAV but I have read in properly now :oops:

This is something I want to get working but as I said WM player plugin should work for these files (but I think it is not compatible with 1.4 yet. If not I will try and update but will be a couple of weeks)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom