[Usability] WatchDog improvements (2 Viewers)

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Do we need to same WatchDog for MP1 and MP2?

Do you wan to create a official branch for it?

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Do we need to same WatchDog for MP1 and MP2?
    humm
    in the absolut, i want say "yes"
    but if we must set everytime, the MP version whose, we want use, i think is better to have proper Debug tools, for each version.
    i mean, we must make an good one for MP1 (with the goal to adapt to MP2 easily).

Do you wan to create a official branch for it?
    please.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    @regeszter : thank you
    can you check what is doable in the todo list, that I have put in the first post.

Perhaps all that is related to TVserveur, can be complicated. (@mm1352000 : an small help ? )

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    @mm1352000, @Sebastiii

We don't have watchdog solution for TVE only setup. I think we should to give an application where the user can collect the logs from tvserver if the tvserver is not running. What do you think?

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    was my original goal, it's why service are added to this rework. but my few skills stop here ( for coding)
    it's why, i would like to have Watchdog service, for TVE solution. for taking ("grabb") logs by MP Client or by other PC client.
    for my use, TVE should be hidden in "WC" ( yes, no WAF for now, but best than in livingroom or bedrooms)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    We don't have watchdog solution for TVE only setup. I think we should to give an application where the user can collect the logs from tvserver if the tvserver is not running. What do you think?

It is possible to get the log files if TV Server is running, but how do you intend to access the logs if the TV Server is not running? Must the log folder be shared; use a separate watchdog/logs service; or...???

In general the idea to add TV Server functions to the watchdog is reasonable, but I can think of a few implementation problems like:
    • with TVE 3.5 the log directory changes depending on the environment (MP2 Server or standalone)
    • if the watchdog is running on the client, security/user configuration must be perfect to allow the watchdog to control the TV service (restarting the controller is not a full/proper restart)
    • with TVE 3.5, TV service and configuration logs go to separate folders
    Actually IMO if TV Server is going to be completely separate from MP, it makes more sense to me to have a separate TV Server watchdog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom