[solved] Watching a record during recording stops sometimes (1 Viewer)

roedler86

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MediaPortal 2 Version: 2.2.1

Description
    Hello guys,

what a simple thread title. But I’m not sure how to describe my issue. But I will give it a try.

I have a scheduled recording from 20:15 to 22:30.
    I’m starting to watch this recording at 20:45. After 30 Minutes, the video stoped and I’m back in the recording list. So, it’s 21:15 and I’m starting the video again. The video starts from beginning but I forward to 30 minutes and can watch for 1 h til the video stops again.

I hope it is understandable.

So I think the endpoint of the record is not adjusted to the live stream. Am I right?! Do you need logs or something else?

Thanks in advance.

Steps to Reproduce:
    Start an ongoing (after start time x) record. The video will stop after this time difference.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So I think the endpoint of the record is not adjusted to the live stream. Am I right?!
    No, this is not a general problem, it is working flawlessly here for me.

Do you need logs
    Yes please. Switch to DEBUG level and reproduce the phenomenon. Then upload logs and indicate the time of the occurrence please.

Dominik König

Portal Member
    November 4, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey Guys,

just wanted to add that i can confirm the behaviour. Didn't report it as a bug, because i thought it simply works as designed.

As roedler86 states: If you start an ongoing recording, which already records for let's say 30 minutes, the playback will stop after 30 minutes. I think this is because of the files size (at the moment of the playback starting) is the 30 minutes. And the player doesn't recognize that the file is growing while recording.

If you start playback again, you can already watch 60 minutes of the recording (but you have to manually skip the first 30 minutes you have already seen), because the file growed to 60 minutes in the meantime.

I have a multiseat setup and the recordings are stored on a NAS. Perhaps SMB-Shares as storage are behaving differently as on local file system on server?

Kind regards,
    Dominik

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have a multiseat setup and the recordings are stored on a NAS. Perhaps SMB-Shares as storage are behaving differently as on local file system on server?
    Interesting hypothesis. MP2 relies of course on dynamically updated file information. If the SMB storage behaves statically, this could indeed be the reason. Can you set up a share on a Windows directory and then test the behavior? My files reside on a Windows Server 2016 and don't present any troubles playing them while recording.

Dominik König

Portal Member
    November 4, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yes, I'll give it a try, as soon as I find the time.

I already thought about switching to local network share on the server. Another downside of the NAS solution is, that the MP Server will go to sleep mode while watching a recorded file on the client.
    After the film has finished and you get back to the MP window on the client, you will find that the server is sleeping (server not available) and the WOL functionality will not wake the server back up. Afaik it is just waking up the server when starting MP client.

Well, technically speaking a sleeping server part while watching 2 hours movie from the NAS sounds good (because you don't need the server to do this), but if you have to restart the client in order to wake up the server again --> this will lower the WAF :)

Kind regards,
    Dominik

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Owlsroost could this be related to a TsReader issue which was discussed somewhere before? IIRC there was a problem when the TsReader reached the "end" (or live-point) of the recording file and suddenly stopped. This could be the cause here too. Wasn't there a new registry bases setting to adjust buffers/offsets?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    TsReader will (when playing a recording) send the 'end of file' message to the graph manager when it can't read any data from the file. But the OP is playing a recording 30 minutes after it started, so there should always be 30 minutes of data ahead of the current play point (until it really does get to the end of the file due to recording having stopped).

We need some logs to say for sure what caused playing to stop...

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    could this be related to a TsReader issue which was discussed somewhere before?
    I don't think so as it is working flawlessly here. I'd rather link this to the use of a NAS that is running an old SMB protocol, which is not dynamically updating - SMB 3 is required fo this to work.

We need some logs to say for sure what caused playing to stop...
    Yes, I keep asking for this info :rolleyes::
    Yes please. Switch to DEBUG level and reproduce the phenomenon. Then upload logs and indicate the time of the occurrence please.

Dominik König

Portal Member
    November 4, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Okay, first thank you for the feedback on SMB 3... indeed my QNAP was bound to 2.1 as highest SMB Version. I adjusted this setting to SMB 3.

Then I started reproducing the problem. Started recording on "Tagesschau", then, just a couple of seconds later, I started the playback of the recording. As expected, the playback ended just a couple of seconds after starting, whereas the recording was still running.

Prior to that, i switched the log level to debug an collected the client logs afterwards. Here they are...

Kind regards,
    Dominik

Attachments

• MediaPortal2-Logs-2019-05-09-14.08.37.zip
      367.4 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom