Weird sleep/resume loop (1 Viewer)

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Sometimes my media machine will go into a sleep/resume loop for no apparent reason. It wakes up when nothing is set to record so PowerScheduler just puts it back to standby after a few minutes, then it wakes up again and repeats that loop sometime for half an hour. Then it'll behave normally for a couple of days before the same thing happens again.

I'm wondering whether PowerScheduler is somehow wrongly setting the wakeup time (because of a corrupt schedule or something), although I can't see anything in the log about it setting wakeup time.

The other possibility is that something else is waking the PC up and it's nothing to do with MP at all.

This morning I managed to catch it doing this and took some logs.

If anybody can see anything in the logs that explains what's going on then I'd be very grateful :)

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_31_03_19__11_47 Sleep resume loop.zip
      1.6 MB

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    I've just noticed in the Windows event log that it says "wake source Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" when this is happening. Didn't notice that before. There is sometimes an event log that says "wake source TvService.exe" so I assume those are the normal scheduled recording wakeup events.

Looks like it's some sort of wake on lan problem then I think... I do use WOL, so I need it to wake on magic packets, but I wonder if the BIOS is somehow set to wake on other network traffic... will investigate...

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I'm wondering whether PowerScheduler is somehow wrongly setting the wakeup time (because of a corrupt schedule or something),
    Your lan setting seems the most likely cause of the problem.

However, I thought that I would mention that I have noticed my HTPC waking when there was nothing to record. Significantly, it wakes at the time of a scheduled recording that I had cancelled. Typically this is for a series, where an episode is repeated multiple times and I manually cancel the repeats. Mostly there is no problem, but very occasionally I get this unnecessary wake.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    Thanks @CyberSimian , I'm pretty convinced it was the lan doing it now - hopefully setting it to "magic packet only" will sort it out. I'd been looking through the MP logs trying to find out if PowerScheduler was doing the waking up, then realised the Windows event log showed the reason for wakeup. I reckon it was probably happening when there was a lot of other traffic on my lan and something probably triggered the media PC to wake up - hopefully it won't any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom