What is the best way of removing old fanart? (1 Viewer)

Matt Kirby

Portal Member
June 14, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

Not sure if this is a StreamedMP thing, a Fanart Handler thing or a plugin thing (MovingPictures and TVSeries), but thought I'd ask here first.

I'm using StreamedMP and make heavy use of the MovingPictures and TVSeries plugins. On the homescreen I've set it to show random fanart - however over time I have deleted several movies and TV shows but their fanart remains.

What is the best way of removing fanart for movies and TV shows I no longer have? Am I missing something somewhere, or is it just that there is no mechanism for automatically deleting fanart when a movie or TV show is removed?

If it's a manual thing, does anyone have any tips for making it easier? I've taken a look and I can't quite work out where I'd need to delete things, and can't work out a way of doing it without looking at every image and then deleting the ones that I recognise from movies and TV shows I no longer have. Or, doing a bulk delete of everything and letting it all download the current stuff.

Has anyone coded a tool that looks at the current fanart folder(s) and deletes any that don't appear in the relevant databases? Is this a feature that should be in StreamedMP, Fanart Handler, or MovingPictures/TVSeries?

Any thoughts and suggestions welcome!

m3rcury

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Malta Malta
    Matt, just coded a quick utility to do what you are requesting. This can be downloaded from here. The utility will ask for the movingpictures.db3 path and then for the thumbs path (both are set to default folders as per Windows 7 installation). Once you set these two and hit delete, it will scan Covers and Backdrops folders and those that are not in use will be sent to the trashcan.

Here is also a link to the MovingPictures forum post on same subject.....

Give it a try and give any feedback.

Regards:)

Last edited:

Matt Kirby

Portal Member
    June 14, 2009
    Home Country
    Thanks, that's awesome! Very quick, and seems to do the job (I saw loads of files in the Recycle Bin).

Any chance of extending it to also do the same for TVSeries?

m3rcury

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Malta Malta
    Matt, thanks. Will try to find some time to do that. TVSeries is not straight forward as MovingPictures, but will still give it a try.

Regards

Matt Kirby

Portal Member
    June 14, 2009
    Home Country
    Thanks for what you've done so far, if you are able to cover TVSeries as well that would be great, but I'll understand if you don't get a chance to do it.

m3rcury

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Malta Malta
    Thanks for what you've done so far, if you are able to cover TVSeries as well that would be great, but I'll understand if you don't get a chance to do it.

Matt, have a go at the new utility here which deletes both MovingPictures and TVSeries unused images.

Regards

m3rcury

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Malta Malta
    After a suggestion received to load default paths depending on the Windows OS MediaPortal is running, have made some changes and a new version uploaded.

Click here to download or visit this post.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom