Which renderer for Judderfree playback (2 Viewers)

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    well using ATI shortcut keys does change RR to whatever u choose (when in GUI - pre media playback)

The problem is that MP suddenly changes RR back to what it was before when mediaplayback starts.
    This issue could perhaps be solved.
    No one has looked into this so far.

But the device reset part can not be changed.

/gibman

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    well using ATI shortcut keys does change RR to whatever u choose (when in GUI - pre media playback)

The problem is that MP suddenly changes RR back to what it was before when mediaplayback starts.

/gibman

Yes, this issue is a bit weird, when exclusive mode is on I get following behaviour (no Reclock used in this scenario):

1) Start Mediaportal with 50Hz ATI profile

2) Use shortcut keys to change to 24Hz profile

3) Start playing .mkv video (23.976fps)

4) Refresh rate seems to be 50Hz because I see judder

5) Stop video

6) Exit Mediaportal

7) ATI display settings say that I have 24Hz profile active

8) Start Mediaportal

9) Start playing .mkv video -> no judder anymore

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    yup, that issue is probably fixable - not too sure though since I havent looked at it.

but as MP currently stands. ATI profiles along with exclusive mode is not really worth it.
    Why not use powerstrip at the time being ? U can create shortcuts with pstrip too. or use reclock with it.

Or even better put on the coding gloves and start debugging the whole lot :)

back to ATI.
    Once the ATI profiles does not cause MP to revert to previous RR, then I guess the next task would be to automate the process without the use of 3rd party stuff like reclock + pstrip.
    This also means that vista is a possibility now :)
    Some ppl would think this to be a disadvantage.

slapping together a section in MP config would also be needed ..easy though.

on 24/23.976 fps execute script; <user editable textbox>
    on 25 fps execute script; <user editable textbox>
    on 30/29.976 fps execute script; <user editable textbox>
    default refreshrate (on playback stopped); <user editable textbox> (if this field is empty do not set back the RR to the default prefered one, otherwise on media playback stop, set it to the specified value)

enable for; myvideos, tv etc. (checkbox for each)

but...the open question ... how to detect FPS on live TV before creating the graph ?

/gibman

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    but...the open question ... how to detect FPS on live TV before creating the graph ?

There is no need for such, user can configure the default refresh rate to match the TV standard used in teh country. For most europeans (almost everyone I would assume) would be using PAL(25fps). Normal tv's have supported only one refresh rate for many years before MP was build...

If some cases would be requiring to use different refhresh rates for live tv its not possible to make 100% working guesses. Even some channel might be sending 24fps (for movies) and 25fps (for live events, news...).

In my opinion its not worth to even think about supporting refresh rate changes for live tv as the possible user base almost non-existent. If there is some users that are having some channels with broadcasted not the country's native fps I would recoment those to record the show and watch it later... and later we can use MPII and make sure that it is able to handle the refresh rate changes DURING video playback so we can constantly analyse the video stream (in TsReader) and make sure that correct refresh rate is always used.

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    yup, that issue is probably fixable - not too sure though since I havent looked at it.

slapping together a section in MP config would also be needed ..easy though.

on 24/23.976 fps execute script; <user editable textbox>
    on 25 fps execute script; <user editable textbox>
    on 30/29.976 fps execute script; <user editable textbox>
    default refreshrate (on playback stopped); <user editable textbox> (if this field is empty do not set back the RR to the default prefered one, otherwise on media playback stop, set it to the specified value)

enable for; myvideos, tv etc. (checkbox for each)

/gibman

This would be a supurb quality of MP if it was something like you describe. Make a new tab called TV/Monitor settings and add all the mentioned things in here. Select the supported refreshrates of your TV/monitor (let them be tested for 15 seconds ofcourse) and set the desired conditions when to apply them. This would be totally unique feature among all the mediaplayer software.

As mentioned above aswell, the standard refreshrate could be the same as the local TV braudcasting RR. I can totally live with that. I guess this kind of feature would definitely be high on my little wish list. :D :D
    (Just read this post as +1 vote for this feature)

Aurora13

Portal Pro
    November 2, 2006
    Currently I do it the following way (nvidia 8500GT):
    I created three batch files which do the following:
    Close MP
    Change res to 24 (or 50 or 60)
    Start MP

It is not perfect, but it does the job.

So for me this option with native support in MediaPortal, would be one of the best options.

So please Gibman or tourettes if you find the time for it.... :D

robyf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Bolzano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy

There is no need for such, user can configure the default refresh rate to match the TV standard used in teh country. For most europeans (almost everyone I would assume) would be using PAL(25fps). Normal tv's have supported only one refresh rate for many years before MP was build...

If some cases would be requiring to use different refhresh rates for live tv its not possible to make 100% working guesses. Even some channel might be sending

I agree. But I think it would be useful to implement something (using the mediainfo.dll library?) to make mediaportal change resolution for avi or mkv videos according to the framerate (and at the end of the movie back to the default resolution for liveTV). Do you think it would be possible?

Vertigo1

Portal Member
    November 5, 2008
    Hi, sorry for the thread revival but I'm trying to do this refresh rate change using ReClock and a RunEvent.vbs script but using SetDisplayFrequency.exe to change the refresh rate rather than Powerstrip (although I have a licensed version of PS).

Problem I get is that the refresh rate change seems to be fighting with the DirectDraw refresh rate override (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\ForceRefreshRate). This is nominally set to 50Hz, same as my desktop. When the script runs and tries to set the refresh to 24Hz, the TV flicks to 24 then straight back to 50Hz and dumps me back out to My Movies. If I change this registry setting to 24Hz then it works perfectly, switching to 24Hz when playback is started and then back to 50Hz when I stop it. Problem is using this value in the registry causes problems with other apps on the HTPC.

Does anyone know why I'm getting this problem or is having similar conflict issues with the DirectDraw refresh rate override?
    Willing to try using PS but don't know how to tell it to change the refresh rate. The res is 1920x1080 and never, ever changes, so just want to tell PS to change the refresh rate alone - can that be done?

Thanks for any advice.

Vertigo1

Portal Member
    November 5, 2008

/gibman

You've bumped your head on the same issue I've had - it's the DirectDraw refresh rate override, as configured by dxdiag (last tab, Override button) and stored in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\ForceRefreshRate in the registry.

When the player starts, the output is automatically switched to this refresh rate and I can't find any way of preventing this behaviour. It's interfering with my attempts to change refresh rate via the ReClock script so I've had to leverage it by fixing this value to 24Hz which causes this rate to be selected when a video starts playing. Works a treat but only if all your material is 24fps (or 23.976).

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    I don't get this issue with the same software. Have you checked the screen in CCC that refers to default 3d refresh rate? (it's there).

I may also avoid this by not running any ATI software once the driver is installed (using msconfig.exe, removing ATI services/startup).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom