Which renderer for Judderfree playback (1 Viewer)

xanadu1979

Portal Pro
April 15, 2008
New Orleans, LA
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I'm going to post this in hope that it helps others. Your results may vary.

I have a Vista 32bit system with a GeForce 8500GT video card. I had a problem with judder on my h.264 (.mkv) movies. It wasn't extreme but it was just enough to bother me. If I set my refresh rate to 24hz the judder went away, but then all of my TV rips would play with the audio out of sync. So I had resigned myself to the fact that I would have to switch between 24hz and 60hz depending on what kind of video I wanted to watch. I was pretty unhappy about this.

This was until I found AC3Filter. It turns out that the judder must have had something to do with my sound card. I had tried different audio decoders with no affect to the judder but then I tried AC3Filter. Now everything plays just fine at 60hz. I have absolutely no judder in my h.264 movies. I didn't have to change any options in the filter except for selecting s/pdif output.

I see in the AC3Filter configuration, there is an option called judder correction and it is checked by default. I haven't tried unchecking it to see if the judder comes back.

If anybody who comes across this thread hasn't tried AC3Filter yet, I highly recommend giving it a shot.

AC3Filter | AC3Filter

edterbak

Portal Pro
March 4, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
perfect image!!

Ohh Boys and Girls,

I think I just hit the jackpot!! With the help of the Reclock + VBS script from gibman (Thanks!) the Display now changes the ATI profiles according to the media played. The image isnt just judder free, but also tear free. AND using SPDIF!! :) I will post all my settings. I hope you have equal results. (no guaranty of course)

Specs:
MediaPortal 1 RC2 + latest update till now (14-8-2008)
Reclock 1.7 beta 4
VBS Script from Gibman (my own edit)
Video codec mpeg: MPC's Mpeg2Decfilter.zip
Video codec x264: MPC's MPCvideoDec.zip
Audio codec: MPA (standard MP+SPDIF ticked)

In MP I'm using VRM9 + explicit mode.
In Reclock set all the default sound devices correctly and I'm using the "DirectDraw" option in Video settings.

The two codecs (mpeg+x264) need to be regested manually. Use RUN > "regsvr32 C:\CodecPATH\codecNAME.ax"
i.e. "regsvr32 C:\Codecs\MPCVideoDec.ax"

Created 3 ATI Profiles in the CCC profilemanager. 24hz, 50hz and 60hz. The names of the profiles are to be edited corectly into the VBS Scriptfile.

DXVA is probably not working like this, but I can live with a CPU rate of 25-32%.

robhawk

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 20, 2008
    Thuringia
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    My system normaly runs at 50hz -> mostly PAL-DVD.
    H.264 and many other movies need 60hz(my display doesnt support 48hz).
    I have 2 profiles in CCC, "50hz" and "60hz". When watching DVD or other 50hz material everything is fine, reclock doesnt change anything. When watching HD-stuff@24fps Reclock does the change to 60hz and i hear the sound but i get a black screen!:( When stopping the movie, reclock returns to 50hz and im back in Mediaportal with normal screen!
    Even the "WScript.Sleep(5000)" does not help with the black screen, any hints ?

How did u solve that, edterbak ?

RunEvent.vbs:

' -------------------------------------
    Set objArgs = WScript.Arguments
    If objArgs.Count < 10 Then
    MsgBox "Bad argument count !", MB_OK, "ReClock Event Notification"

' We have done nothing. Return 1 to indicate ReClock that
    ' the configuration has not changed
    WScript.Quit 1
    End If

eventName = objArgs(0)
    mediaType = objArgs(1)
    soundMode = objArgs(2)
    currentMonitor = objArgs(3)
    totalMonitorCount = objArgs(4)
    currentResolution = objArgs(5)
    currentRefreshRate = objArgs(6)
    originalPlaybackSpeed = objArgs(7)
    currentPlaybackSpeed = objArgs(8)
    currentMediaFile = objArgs(9)

' If you need to debug, replace false with true in the following line
    if false Then MsgBox _
    eventName & " " & _
    mediaType & " " & _
    soundMode & " " & _
    currentMonitor & " " & _
    totalMonitorCount & " " & _
    currentResolution & " " & _
    currentRefreshRate & " " & _
    originalPlaybackSpeed & " " & _
    currentPlaybackSpeed, _
    MB_OK, "ReClock Event Notification"

' Here is a sample of what can be done with PowerStrip
    Set wshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

' We will put new timings here if necessary
    newTimings = ""

' Obviously we have something to do only if the icon is yellow
    If eventName = "YELLOW" Then

If soundMode = "PCM" Then

' Call the profile that match best what we need in PCM mode
    Select Case mediaType & ":" & currentResolution
    Case "CINEMA:1360x768"
    If currentRefreshRate <> "60" Then newTimings = "60hz"

Case "PAL:1360x768"
    If currentRefreshRate <> "50" Then newTimings = "50hz"

Case "NTSC:1360x768"
    End Select

ElseIf soundMode = "SPDIF" Then

' In SPDIF mode we need an exact multiple to minimize the drops/repeats
    ' Note: be careful in NTSC mode, because if "currentRefreshRate" is already "60"
    ' when we go here then we won't switch but it may be 60 "bad" hz instead of 59.94 "wanted" hz
    ' The same problem exists for NTSC film (23.976fps)
    ' A solution is to force settings in the GREEN icon notification, but that would mean a pause
    ' each time we play a file with SPDIF ...
    ' That's why we use 59.94 hz and 71.928 hz for PCM too so we will never user 60 and 72 hz
    Select Case currentResolution & "x" & originalPlaybackSpeed
    Case "1360x768x23976"

Case "1360x768x24000"
    If currentRefreshRate <> "60" Then newTimings = "60Hz"

Case "1360x768x25000"
    If currentRefreshRate <> "50" Then newTimings = "50Hz"

Case "1360x768x29970"

End Select

End if

End If

' We quit the player, restore our favorite refresh rate and/or resolution
    If eventName = "QUIT" Then

Select Case currentResolution
    Case "1360x768"
    If currentRefreshRate <> "50" Then newTimings = "50hz"
    End Select

End If

' Do we have new timings to apply ?
    If newTimings <> "" Then
    Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
    WshShell.Run """" & "C:\PROGRAMME\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLI.exe" & """" & " Start Load profilename=" & """" & newTimings & """"
    WScript.Sleep(2000)
    WScript.Quit 0
    End If

' We have done nothing. Return 1 to indicate ReClock that
    ' the configuration has not changed
    WScript.Quit 1

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    If you change the resolution + refreshrate within MP, it cant handle that. In theory, MP is able to handle just a refreshrate change.
    The black screen could mean that the resolution is changed as well. are you sure that you start MP in 1360x768?
    I edited the VBS file the way I would do it in your case. Maybe it makes a difference, I dont realy know. You can try it.
    RunEvent_Robhawk.vbs
    23.9>60hz
    24>60hz
    25>50z
    30>60hz

robhawk

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 20, 2008
    Thuringia
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for the fast reply! :)

Im 100% sure, that my htpc runs at 1360*768 and so does MP, the reclock switch only does the change to 60hz and back.
    Perhaps the MPV-Codec and/or ffdshow cant handle that, so ill try the MPC-Codec and your vbs-file.

greets, Rob

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Check the attached rar file.

edit the file.

Find;

usePowerStrip = False
    useATIProfiles = True

Use one or the other methods :)

Also u need to insert ur own profiles instead of mine;
    Look for
    "htpc,dual 720p 85hz" confusing name 85hz, just a test, u would have 24 hz here-
    "htpc,dual 720p 50hz"

also if u run 24hz, then u need 2 edit;

"If currentRefreshRate <> "48" Then "

to

"If currentRefreshRate <> "24" Then "

changing ATI profiles works here ok.

/gibman

Can someone please help me with the vb script file. Im trying to get ReClock it to change resolutions using ATI CCC profiles.
    Got a lcdscreen which does 24p / 50i/p 60p. So I think the best solution is:
    if file is 24fps, set ATI to 24p (profilename=24p)
    if file is 25fps, set ATI to 50P (profilename=50p)
    if file is 30fps, set ATI to 60P (profilename=60p)

I dont wanna use PowerStrip. It messes up the screen sometimes and sometimes doesnt do what its told... weird.

Oh, Bytheway. I think I have an additional issue with reclock. I need to force it in place de direct3d renderers. But because I use DVI>HDMI (Video+Audio) sometimes I loose the correct audio settings for spdif AC3/DTS passthrough. Or am I doing something wrong?

Hope someone can help with the VBS part. :)

gibman, could comment this issue, it's related to refresh rate changing:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...when-mp-running-doesnt-have-any-effect-43718/

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm using VRM9 mode + Exclusive. I have no issues with blackscreens.
    I use ReClock with the "DirectDRAW" option ticked in Video Setup.
    Im not using onboard graphics. I have a HD3450.

Ati driver = 8.7 + CCC
    HDMI Audio = Realtec ATI HDMI Audio Device 1.96. (I haven't upgraded to 2.0 driver yet)

My experience (feeling) regarding the HDMI audio driver is that the standard ATI driver messes things up. Mostly when I use ATI driver I hear no sound. Thats why I use the Realtec driver for this. With those drivers I have no issues. But maybe thats just because I use DVI>HDMI converter and want video and audio over 1 HDMI connection.

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I'm using VRM9 mode + Exclusive. I have no issues with blackscreens.
    I use ReClock with the "DirectDRAW" option ticked in Video Setup.
    Im not using onboard graphics. I have a HD3450.

Ati driver = 8.7 + CCC
    HDMI Audio = Realtec ATI HDMI Audio Device 1.96. (I haven't upgraded to 2.0 driver yet)

My experience (feeling) regarding the HDMI audio driver is that the standard ATI driver messes things up. Mostly when I use ATI driver I hear no sound. Thats why I use the Realtec driver for this. With those drivers I have no issues. But maybe thats just because I use DVI>HDMI converter and want video and audio over 1 HDMI connection.

If you refer to my post (link above) with "blackscreen", it's not an issue, the screen (at least with my TV) is supposed to go black and then back on when changing refresh rate.

The only issue and problem I'm having that I need to restart MP in order to see the effects of refresh rate change. This is easy to test with .mkv movie with 23.976 fps: 50Hz mode gives judder, 24Hz gives judder every ~14 secs.

Maybe I'll try Reclock + Runevent a shot and see if it helps, but I don't know why it would change anything because it will use ATI profiles in the same way that my keyboard shortcut does.

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    robhawk
    Does the black screen also occur when you manually adjust the refreshrate within MP before you play a file? You can try this by disabling ReClock and create keyboard shortcuts for the profiles 50 and 60hz.

seco
    Think I misunderstood your reply. But I think your right. Cant see why reclock + runevent make a difference in the result.

xanadu1979
    I have tried AC3Filter. But in my case I cant seem to get it to communicate with my Yamaha receiver properly. Needs to be SPDIF after realtime AC3 decoding through DVI>HDMI cable. Often got 2ch sound instead of 6ch. MPA codec appears to do the job proper enough and gets me 6ch audio. But this might be because I dont know the correct settings in AC3filter.

robhawk

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 20, 2008
    Thuringia
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @robhawk
    Does the black screen also occur when you manually adjust the refreshrate within MP before you play a file? You can try this by disabling ReClock and create keyboard shortcuts for the profiles 50 and 60hz.

I will try today in the evening!;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom