Why am I dropping frames? (1 Viewer)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It should not be dropping so many frames cause my refresh rate is faster than the video refresh rate right?
    It's only for this one movie apparently.

upload_2016-1-18_23-14-6.png

davidf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    You need to turn on Dynamic refresh rate - having a refresh rate which isn't a multiple of the frame rate will cause drops and repeats. It'll look much better, trust me :) (and you'll be playing with MPAR before you know it, as the last few remaining ones will annoy you).

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You need to turn on Dynamic refresh rate - having a refresh rate which isn't a multiple of the frame rate will cause drops and repeats. It'll look much better, trust me :) (and you'll be playing with MPAR before you know it, as the last few remaining ones will annoy you).

I find that running at 60Hz no matter the source frame rate provides really good results, well except when it's just stupidly low like in this case. I still have to give Dynamic Refresh Rate a try though.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I agree with David - if you can, you should use automatic refresh rate changing. This is the same advice I gave you last month! ;)
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/dropping-frames-when-watching-live-tv.133080/

I'm not sure if enabling automatic refresh rate changing will solve the 17 fps. Maybe it will if the video frame rate is 23.97 fps. Log files are always helpful.

I find that running at 60Hz no matter the source frame rate provides really good results...
    From a technical perspective that is not the optimal configuration. I guess your eyes aren't so sensitive to judder (repeated fields/frames).

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    I'm not sure if enabling automatic refresh rate changing will solve the 17 fps. Maybe it will if the video frame rate is 23.97 fps. Log files are always helpful.
    with 17fps i don't know how is watch the vidéo lol
    it's a bit like an internet stream with bad connection lol :ROFLMAO:
    ps. Maybe it will if the video frame rate is 23.97 fps
    yes, with dynamic framerate to 50hz (y) or 24hz if the TV support it

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No it won't, 17 FPS is just way too slow, encoding of that file was screwed somehow.

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    post the MediaInfo for this file
    Shown 17fps is the speed how MP can decode and render it. Why - it can be many reasons, e.g. video decoder, audio renderer, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread