[confirm] Why oh Why :( Read() no open file (2 Viewers)

mylle

Portal Pro
April 14, 2005
Denmark
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi guys,

I love MediaPortal but this one issue is ruining everything for me :(

I am timeshifting and recording via UNC which is working really good for me compared to RTSP. I know its not supported but i hope this thread will get attention anyways.

Every so often when watching live tv the picture just freezes. When the freeze occurs, this is what the tsreader.log shows.

20-01-2011 20:13:02.474 [21c]SEEK FAILED
20-01-2011 20:13:02.474 [21c]FileReader::Read() no open file
20-01-2011 20:13:02.474 [21c]READ FAILED1
20-01-2011 20:13:02.475 [cc4]FileReader::OpenFile(), open file \\192.168.1.50\Timeshifting\live20-

0.ts.tsbuffer4.ts failed.
20-01-2011 20:13:02.475 [cc4]SEEK FAILED
20-01-2011 20:13:02.475 [cc4]FileReader::Read() no open file
20-01-2011 20:13:02.475 [cc4]READ FAILED2
20-01-2011 20:13:02.478 [cc4]SEEK FAILED
20-01-2011 20:13:02.478 [cc4]FileReader::Read() no open file
20-01-2011 20:13:02.478 [cc4]READ FAILED2

It is completely random when this happens and i can have another client timeshifting at the same time without anything happening to that one.

I have 3 clients (completly different hardware) and it is happening on all of them :( I did a complete reinstall (also OS win7) on the serverside also but it made no difference. Im currently on SVN 27257 but this also happened with the original 1.2 Alpha.

When the picture freezes i can do a 15sec step back and it works again, but if i catch it freezing to late and do the 15 sec stepback MP just crashes to the desktop with no error.

My brother i law has a similar setup and is experiencing excactly the same thing. I feel that i have tried EVERYTHING but nothing is helping.

Does anyone else have this problem? My wife has stopped using MP now because she is just so fed up with this one error. Everything else is working perfect.

PLease help.

regards
Jacob

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Jacob,

I think the problem is that when a new file is created it isn't detected quickly enough on a network drive. In V4 of the buffer patch I have made a change that I hope will fix this. I have made tswriter create the next buffer file in advance of the switch over (so it should be ready and openable(!) in plenty of time).

I'll post it in that thread when done, it'd be great if you wouldn't mind testing it.

Edit: BTW have you tried RTSP with the buffer patch? You mind find it works a lot better now with it (it does on my system)

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Sounds good to me, I also suffer from this from time to time, even though my timeshift-drive is a super-fast RAM-drive. I guess it's the UNC path/find file/is it created that takes time.

romuz

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 26, 2008
    Moskau
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Yep, me too.
    Im like you timeshift to ramdrive and sometimes im getting that error too but its very rare.
    Its good if it will be fixed. It is last issue which ruin my tv watching.
    Will join testing when its ready :)

mylle

Portal Pro
    April 14, 2005
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi Jacob,

I think the problem is that when a new file is created it isn't detected quickly enough on a network drive. In V4 of the buffer patch I have made a change that I hope will fix this. I have made tswriter create the next buffer file in advance of the switch over (so it should be ready and openable(!) in plenty of time).

I'll post it in that thread when done, it'd be great if you wouldn't mind testing it.

Edit: BTW have you tried RTSP with the buffer patch? You mind find it works a lot better now with it (it does on my system)

Hi Miroslav,

Looking forward to V4. The reason i have been sticking with the UNC option is because channel changing seems alot faster compared to RTSP.

@pilehave and romuz:

What software are you using to create the ramdrive and how big?

regards
    Jacob

mylle

Portal Pro
    April 14, 2005
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi Jacob,

Disaster123 actually tried to help me nail down this problem, and i believe what he did was to make a test tsreader which would keep "looking" for the timeshift file up to 5 seconds. That did not help. Is it something similar you are trying to do?

regards
    Jacob

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The change i'm making is to create the next timeshifting file before the previous one is completely filled. This should allow plenty of time for the next file to be ready on the network share before it is needed.

At the moment a new file is only created the instant the previous one is completely filled and (i'm guessing) it sometimes takes a little while to be 'seen' on the share which is why it sometimes fails to open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom