Operating System Win 10 vs. 8.1 (1 Viewer)

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Country flag
    My HTPC has run pretty well for years with Win 7 Pro x64, but since MS is dropping support and a few problems have cropped up, I plan to install a newer OS (not upgrade).
    I am comfortable with Win 8.1, having used it for years on my laptop. Furthermore, I have seen more posts here about problems with Win 10, and I have some pretty old HW.
    OTOH, I will no doubt be forced to migrate to Win 10 eventually, and some have written here that there is no significant difference between Win 8.1 and Win 10.
    What do other MP users recommend?

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    For upgrade my advice would be to go straight to win 10, Win 8 users are already seeing reduced or no support for the OS with new products (both hardware and software). Notably AMD no longer offer updates or new GPU drivers for Win 8! I also believe it is still possible to upgrade from 7 to 10 for free, Google it, once upgraded you can choose to do a full clean Win 10 install if you want. Note that some OEM software for example MS Office may not activate with Win 10 (retail versions will be fine) so take an image backup so you can go back to Win 7 if need be.
    On the other hand If you have no plans to make any significant upgrades to your old hardware it might be best to stick with Win 7 and if you are only using Windows Defender maybe look for an alternative AV program to keep things safe.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

P.S. - Strangely, the TV Server my single seat setup (1.27 on a modest machine running Windows 10 Pro x64) is working from my office machine MP client. Same exact network, firewall, Defender settings. It's a slightly older version of Win 10 though - I haven't updated to 20Hx on it yet. Maybe I shouldn't (or maybe I should image it...
    P.S. - Strangely, the TV Server my single seat setup (1.27 on a modest machine running Windows 10 Pro x64) is working from my...
    Let me start by asking if anyone has TV Server running PROPERLY on a Windows 10 machine, and if so are you using RTSP or UNC share...
    Replies
    Views
    I just found this: On the German page of the PCTV application (only on the German page and not on the driver pages :rolleyes:): TVC 6.4.8 Download (pctvsystems.com) My English translation: I didn't test it because I already switched to another TV card (so I found this piece of information to late) but maybe this can help others...
    I just found this: On the German page of the PCTV application (only on the German page and not on the driver pages :rolleyes:)...
    Hello Yesterday, I updated my computer running MediaPortal Client and TVServer (and also occasionally providing another laptop...
    Replies
    Views
    MP1 MP2 Migrating from WMC DE
    Hi. Network tuners can be shared even on the same PC (done it often while testing different software, I'm using SAT>IP tuner that are similar to hdhomerun tuner but for European DVB). But you can not use them on both systems at the same time ofc.. Means if WMC is using a tuner (e,g, for a scheduled recording) MP can't use the same...
    Hi. Network tuners can be shared even on the same PC (done it often while testing different software, I'm using SAT>IP tuner that...
    I have been running Windows Media Centre happily for years on Win 7 Pro, more recently with EPG123 as an intermediary providing...
    Replies
    Views
    I am still here, thanks for the input, so I have now settled on mp1, I am not afraid of a lot of tweaking. Good news on tuners is I can run side by side with my WMC setup, as my tuners are using DVBlink to combine channels for WMC, so WMC is using 8 virtual tuners from DVBlink while MP is using the tuners directly. Of course they are...
    I am still here, thanks for the input, so I have now settled on mp1, I am not afraid of a lot of tweaking. Good news on tuners is...
    No doubt I am not the first to make this journey so hopefully all can be achieved. So in short I have been running WMC for 8 years...
    Replies
    Views
    Hello, I've recently successfully upgraded five PC from Win 7/ 8.1 to Win 10. Unfortunately I am now experiencing serious trouble when resuming from standby on two machines. The PCs are waking up, i.e. the power LED lights, but the monitor is staying black and the PC is unresponsive. I then need to reset the PC to get it working...
    Hello, I've recently successfully upgraded five PC from Win 7/ 8.1 to Win 10. Unfortunately I am now experiencing serious trouble...
    Hello, I've recently successfully upgraded five PC from Win 7/ 8.1 to Win 10. Unfortunately I am now experiencing serious trouble...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom