Operating System Windows 10 - Is it worth upgrading for a MP HTPC? (2 Viewers)

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi all,

I have a Win 7 client and a Win 8 server PC.

With all the hype of Windows 8, I was wondering if I should just stick with what I have got, or should I upgrade?

The Window's 8 installation is really annoying, so I was considering upgrading that one, but what about the Windows 7?

Cheers

Robbo100

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    If you're using it only as an HTPC there's no real reason to upgrade from Windows 7 except maybe losing the dreadful Aero engine, image quality difference is debatable and don't notice the difference if any.

Audio and hardware management has improved since 8.1 so there's that, SSD performance has improved because Windows 7 wasn't build with that in mind but for normal HTPC solutions I doubt you will notice it.

Microsoft is gonna support Windows 7 till 2020 so plenty of time to get Windows 10 sorted out, currently there are a number of issues that they're still fixing ranging from usability to just poor design choices.
    Only reason I upgraded to Windows 10 myself because it's an all round machine for gaming / browsing / htpc, otherwise would have stuck with 8.1.

Last edited:

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    FYI, in case anyone is wondering if it works OK.

I got fed up getting continual messages to upgrade (and the fix I used to get rid of the messages didn't work), so I installed Windows 10 on my Server this morning.

All works fine so far.

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Nice, would disable the automatic update install if it's a dedicated HTPC:

http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

Currently Microsoft can just push updates to your machine if they want to and reboot automatically at a time the machine thinks it's ok which is 4:00 here most of the time when it's turned off...
    Either way to keep your machine stable and free of unexpected bugs in updates / drivers would keep it manual or at a fixed date / time so you know it will update something.

Last edited:

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    hello guy's,

i have moved my main htpc to win10, few week ago, all worked fine except :
    - My graphic card, AMD don't provide anymore drivers for legacy product (HD4600) but Windows update contain an working driver but without Vidéo setting.
    - My HTPC can freeze if i keep an CD inside the optical drive on resume.
    - about Atmolight, the USBDeview must be set with admin rights, without this not possible to use AtmoWakeHelpers. ( For Rick )

excepted this issue, all work fine. at least for me. but i use MePo as shell replacement, so all windows stuff are not displayed.

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    AtmoWakeHelper issue might be fixable, we're using USBDeview 2.45 however in 2.46 they added an option to run it as administrator.
    Will dig into the docs to see if that can be passed into the command line arguments :)

// Update

No option to run it as administrator directly without getting a prompt :(
    Only way around it is to set the USBDevice.exe properties and tick the "Run as administrator" manually once which you can't do automatically (for good reason), damn Windows and its silly COM device restrictions :p

Last edited:

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Out of interest, do you folks just run an upgrade from previous OS and leave it at that?

Or, do you do that to get the activation then format the hard drive and do a clean Windows 10 install (eg from a usb stick)?

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Clean install without format so that it moves old files to Windows.old, normally only format if I really need a completely clean machine (workstations mostly).
    Windows and upgrades don't go very well in general especially with Windows 10 where there were a lot of mixed results :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom