Windows 7 Freezes on video stop or start [FIXED] (1 Viewer)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hmm... I am wondering if I should do an blog on the HP about this.

Kimo

Portal Member
    March 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    That might not be such a bad idea, it probably isn't a big blog entry, and this driver issue is pretty current. I bet there are a lot of people using ATI drivers so this could prevent a lot of people from having this issue. That is if they read the blog ;-)

On the other hand, people that only update drivers on their running system and start receiving this issue afterwards might put 2 + 2 together, so this would be more convenient for the fresh installers like myself. I not only reinstalled my machine, but I also swapped a lot of hardware, therefor I needed to check some more options but it was nice to read from revs I wasn't the only one having this problem and it did conform my suspicion towards the ATI driver.

mrmojo666

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2006
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    i totally disagree with this thread, i'm using the 11.02 from the date of release with my hd5770 and i never had this issue on 1.2a. maybe that is related to only 3xxx cards or codec splitter issues........ i'm using Saf5 and pdvd10 for tv sd and hd, also for movies and dvds ;)

posting that on the HP looks like more a useless panic making:(

Kimo

Portal Member
    March 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    But you mention running a different config all together.

Both Revs and myself are running MP 1.1.3 and you are running 1.2a, that might make a big difference. Furthermore I'm not using my onboard HD3200 but an HD5450 so that rules out the relation to the 3xxx cards. I've tried every codec combination possible before posting here so it's not like I just tried out one thing and made it a proven solution.

I had the problem with:

SAF4.00
    SAF5.00 some older version and the latest RC1
    CCCP (10-10-2010)
    Seperate codecs (Haali-ffdshow-MPC stuff etc)
    All with and without PowerDVD10

All came up with the same stuttering and freezing. I also use my config for HD, SD and DVD's but I only had stuttering with 1080p and the occasional 720p. Freezes came without warning and were random. Downgrading to 11.1 made my config work again like a charm. After downgrading I was still on SAF4.00 but I upgraded that to SAF5.00RC1. Still no problems.

So I understand why you post your experience, but I disagree with your arguments since it's not the same config.

Maybe the blog post can use an extra line mentioning 1.1.3 specific as a conformed test platform and that it might not occur when different versions or configs are used. However the blog post states "if you are suffering from problems as described" so it is not a definite issue or solution and situation may differ. I don't see anything wrong in warning the community for possible issues that might occur because it might still save people a lot of time and frustration.

GagReflex

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2006
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Chalk up another one... I'm running Vista x64 with 11.2 drivers and I've been seeing the same issues when playing back files, Live TV has been fine. It's been driving me nuts.. Thanks Revs for tracking this down.. and the devs for posting it as news!..
    Downgrading the driver now.....

edit: Running Win7x64 sp1, SVN version of 1.2 of and a HD3800

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I had a crash once. Didnt know the cause and thought is was a fluke. Thanks for the pointer though. If I sufffer more from it, I will go down the route.

First I will try and upgrade to 11.3 (in a day or two).

thanks for the diggin revs :)

mrmojo666

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2006
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    But you mention running a different config all together.

Both Revs and myself are running MP 1.1.3 and you are running 1.2a, that might make a big difference. Furthermore I'm not using my onboard HD3200 but an HD5450 so that rules out the relation to the 3xxx cards. I've tried every codec combination possible before posting here so it's not like I just tried out one thing and made it a proven solution.

I had the problem with:

SAF4.00
    SAF5.00 some older version and the latest RC1
    CCCP (10-10-2010)
    Seperate codecs (Haali-ffdshow-MPC stuff etc)
    All with and without PowerDVD10

All came up with the same stuttering and freezing. I also use my config for HD, SD and DVD's but I only had stuttering with 1080p and the occasional 720p. Freezes came without warning and were random. Downgrading to 11.1 made my config work again like a charm. After downgrading I was still on SAF4.00 but I upgraded that to SAF5.00RC1. Still no problems.

So I understand why you post your experience, but I disagree with your arguments since it's not the same config.

Maybe the blog post can use an extra line mentioning 1.1.3 specific as a conformed test platform and that it might not occur when different versions or configs are used. However the blog post states "if you are suffering from problems as described" so it is not a definite issue or solution and situation may differ. I don't see anything wrong in warning the community for possible issues that might occur because it might still save people a lot of time and frustration.

i agree with you on just one point

l"Maybe the blog post can use an extra line mentioning 1.1.3 specific as a conformed test platform and that it might not occur when different versions or configs are used. "

i have a different version of MP e i'm not having the same issue...... so for you that means there is a driver problem ????? maybe there is a Mp 1.1.3 problem with certain combination of codec drivers........

because it is always simple way pointing the finger against other softwares/drivers, but that could be MP 1.1.3 have problem with ati 11.02. if it was a problem of the driver it will occours also with 1.2a , mpc-hc and many others softwares ;)

I think is not very useful call a blog entry like this:"playback related issues caused by ATI Drivers" ...... as usual the problems came from outside.......
    i don't want be aggressive, but i was facing stuttering and crappy fps until a GREAT developer put his hands on the directshowhelper.dll and....WOW...... magically all went ok .... despite team ppl was saing from ages ... it is no more possible fix those issue, all is perfect .... we are the best in the world...... until a good and humble man came.... and fixed almost perfect the directshowhelper and he is still fine tuning..... going better and better

I know at least one user with 1.1.3 and NVIDIA card that are experiencing exactly the same issue...... do you remain on the same idea ?

anyway i don't want argue about revs investigation, but i want try to change the (bad) attitude of the team to bounce project problems to other sources.

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Please lets not derail this thread.

This thread basically proves there are possible issues with MP 1.1.3, Windows 7 and ATI 11.2 drivers.

It may not happen for all users. If you happen to have this combination, then try ATI 11.1 drivers. We have not proven one way or another if its ATI, MP or someone else to blame, and in the end I don't really care,a s long as there is a fix.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Purpose of the blog is to show those users who suffer from the discribed issues, that they should try a downgrade of their ATI drivers.

I do not know how that blogentry could make ATI users panic in general. Especially not if their systems are working well. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom