Operating System Windows 7 Guide / Tips and Tricks (1 Viewer)

mickyblue

Portal Pro
June 13, 2005
Brisbane Australia
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi guys

ive just spent the day upgrading my HTPC with a new SSD and blu ray disc and in doing so installed windows 7 to take full advantage of the SSD

while doing this i took down a few notes on how i got things working mainly taken from all over the forums and my own knowledge etc so though id share them with everyone to hoepfully save others some time

am slowly working on a new install guide for windows 7 and Mediaportal 1.1.0 so its a work in progress and of course is based on my personal setups and preferences i by no means proclaim to know it all but thought id share what ive learnt over the years of using mediaportal

Installation Manual

Updated as of 05/09/2009

when i installed the RTM version of Windows 7 i have reverted to the 32bit version though, no real reason i wasn't having any issues with the 64bit RC1 however with only 2GB of memory there really was no need for it, so by sticking with the 32bit for my setup hopefully i wont come across any issues either.

On a positive note: i have found the the RTM version of windows 7 is actually noticeably faster than the RC1 so far its been just as easy as my old XP setup. i am waiting on new TV cards though so at this stage havnt tested the TV server

Cheers

Mickyblue

:D

mickyblue

Portal Pro
June 13, 2005
Brisbane Australia
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Great very useful when updating to win7 in the near feature. Great work :)

Btw. are you using IRSS?

Nope i tried it originally to see if i could use it to get the green button to launch MP but it didnt help, my remote control has been working fine right from the start just with MP 1.1.0 alpha and ticking MCE in the remote section of the config

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Great very useful when updating to win7 in the near feature. Great work :)

Btw. are you using IRSS?

Nope i tried it originally to see if i could use it to get the green button to launch MP but it didnt help, my remote control has been working fine right from the start just with MP 1.1.0 alpha and ticking MCE in the remote section of the config

What remote are you using ? Please try latest build or IRSS, seems like we solve so many issues :p

About your guide, in 3rd party section you have an option to disable MCE services with a policy ;)

Simone

mickyblue

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2005
    Brisbane Australia
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    just the standard Microsoft MCE remote.

the easiest way to delete/remove mce in windows 7 is simply via the add / remove windows features but be leaving it installed you can use its ehtray.exe to launch mp via the green button

mickyblue

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2005
    Brisbane Australia
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Have just embedded a youtube video in my website that shows what my HTPC looks like booting, shows how much / little of windows you see with the tips used here,

also shows the speed with which the pc boots and loads mediaportal the first 13 seconds is bios controlled so cannot be altered so actual windows and mediaportal loading time is only about 40 seconds

total time from pressing power button to watching media less than 60 seconds :)

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    What version of windows 7 is needed for a stand alone TVserver? Can I run it on the starter edition, or do I need one of the other?

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    What version of windows 7 is needed for a stand alone TVserver? Can I run it on the starter edition, or do I need one of the other?

If you want to run a dedicated TV-Server I would suggest Windows XP unless you need more than the (max) 4 GB RAM. Total RAM-usage with XP can be below 150 MB with TV-Server and SQL-server loaded.

But, if you want 7 then I don't see why Starter shouldn't be usable, only limit I can think of was the (now gone) 3-programs-at-a-time-thing.

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I used to use XP, but I had to run the fix "all the time" and it got tiering.

mickyblue

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2005
    Brisbane Australia
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    personall i hant used the starter addition but i would think it was to light on media features to be of any use as a tv server the other issue is how you obtain a license as from what i understand it is only available to OEM's to ship preinstalled on low spec machines.

i have just obtained Windows 7 RTM x64 so once i have upgraded my notebook and workstation and tested everything will also be updating my HTPC with the RTM version,

Windows 7 is by far the best OS microsoft has produced and well worth the investment and one you will not regret

thats my two cents anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom