Operating System Windows 7 & half fullscreen (3 Viewers)

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I didn't have this problem on vista with the 182.50 drivers. But I think this is a driver related problem.

Cetra

Portal Member
    May 9, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I wanted to report that I have this same issue in Windows 7. The behavior changes if I use the screen selector option in the configuration. If I use the screen selector then I will get a smaller Media Portal resolution than my actual screen resolution in full screen after coming out of standby. If I do not use the screen selector then I get a slightly larger MediaPortal full screen resolution compared to my screen resolution when coming out of standby. In both cases a quick ALT-ENTER twice will resolve the issue.

It does seem to be related to my receiver as if I leave the receiver on and put the PC to sleep and wake it up then it's fine. It's only when I turn both the receiver and the PC off then resume by turning them both on that I have issues.

Is there any way to force MediaPortal to use a specific screen resolution in full screen rather than trying to detect the current screen resolution (is there any reason it even does this as detecting screen resolution changes after execution seems pointless)? When I was using Windows Media Center with this exact PC configuration, I was not experiencing this issue running WMC in full screen mode.

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Also suffering this issue.

i've tried some own patches to solve this, but no luck so far.

I's because i have found no logic how Nvidia helper service works. On one setting, but I don't remember what they were, display came back ok. If i recall correctly, it was when all video & display color setting were set to "use Nvidia settings", or something similar and helper service was running, but i was not happy with pic quality, so needed to change those, as changing destop color settings affected also tv & dvd quality.

But there is wndproc function in Mediaportal.cs, which is able to receive, WM_DISPLAYCHANGE and WM_SYSCOMMAND(with SC_MONITORPOWER in wparam) messages from Windows core. Problem is that they are not reliable, when they occur. Thats probably because of Nvidia driver won't send them(or detect allways). If helper service is disabled and i turn off tv, no message and back on, then WM_DISPLAYCHANGE comes with changing resolution from 1024x768 to 1280x720. It's mystery to me why turing off tv won't launch that message. WM_SYSCOMMAND(with SC_MONITORPOWER in wparam) message i have not been able to detect with dvi->hdmi cable. Maybe my tv won't do something right way. i've tested those messages with standalone win application.

WM_DISPLAYCHANGE would probably be better way to handle the case when resolution changes. That is the case why Mp won't fill whole screen sometimes. There is a BUT. Refresh rate changer also launch WM_DISPLAYCHANGE message. It means that current resolution should be saved and compared if it has changed.

I don't know enough of GUI code of MP to correctly handle those messages and how to change GUI to fill whole screen.

Regards,

AlexP0wr

Portal Member
    February 25, 2009
    For those that have experienced this issue without having your PC in standby (ie just turning your display off/on), can you please post your display make/model?

Having this problem in both situations. The conclusion of Cetra that it has something to do with the HDMI handshake is probably correct. With Windows Vista I always had the problem that after comming from standby (S3) the HDMI handshake didn't took place correctly resulting in a black screen. Since I upgraded to Windows 7 this has been fixed.

TV: Sony Bravia KDL-40W2000 (connected to receiver using HDMI)
    Receiver: Yamaha RX-V 661 (connected to HTPC using HDMI)

Also posted additional info in Cetra's thread: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-full-screen-interface-resizing-resume-73268/

onyx666

Portal Pro
    September 26, 2008
    For those that have experienced this issue without having your PC in standby (ie just turning your display off/on), can you please post your display make/model?

i have this issue alo when the htpc is left on and when i switch onkyo sr606 receiver from another input channel

Cabbery

Portal Member
    October 26, 2009
    Home Country

I have the Panasonic TH-P50S10A Plasma TV.
    Onboard ATI HD4200 video acrd, outputting to above TV via hdmi @ 1080p

After updating my video card drivers to latest Catalysts, i seem to have an issue where when i power the TV on from standby (NOT the computer, this is always on) that it will sometimes not detect an input when on the hdmi channel, I have to turn the tv off and on again for it to pick it up.

Anyone experienced similiar? It seems to be an issue with some video cards and certain displays and the hdmi handshake not happening sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom