Windows 8, autostart? (1 Viewer)

Nicoolai

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 9, 2011
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    So, the last release, says it now supports Win8.
    Does that mean the autostart function will work, for client?
    Or will I still start up in Metro and have to start media portal manually?

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    On its own autostart will kick in when you open the desktop. There are a few tools out there (I use start8 by stardock ) that take you straight to the desktop and make autostart work fine.

The other option is to make mp the shell application and windows will boot into mp directly

Nicoolai

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 9, 2011
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    On its own autostart will kick in when you open the desktop. There are a few tools out there (I use start8 by stardock ) that take you straight to the desktop and make autostart work fine.

The other option is to make mp the shell application and windows will boot into mp directly
    Thank you Jameson. I guess it's time for me to upgrade then.

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    All I did was set autostart in MePo, and made my Win8 client autologin as the MePo user (so direct to MePo from boot, but with full Win8 shell underneath is needed)- although I had 'show desk top' pinned in the Metro UI BEFORE, so this may a needed step - didn't think about it, Metro was a zero option for my test client.

TTFN - JCMP

Nicoolai

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 9, 2011
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I've ordered a SSD to put win8 on, and I'll definitely give this a try.
    But it sounds like you guys completely drop metro, is that true?
    If you close down MEPO, you are on desktop, not metro?
    The metro UI seems like a good option, for my TV, if I want to do some quick web-browsing from my couch.

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Drop metro? - depends on what your doing really - it sound's like your using Win8 as a handheld client with MePo installed - having Metro under that to support Metro type actions, no reason why not - I'm testing Win8 for a main TV Client, no touch capability and no routine access to OS - so when I do need it, Metro is 100% the wrong interface for management needs (so I drop to desktop) - horses for courses Nicoolai, and your horse can share a couch it seems;-)

TTFN - JCMP

Nicoolai

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 9, 2011
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Well, I'm not really sure, what I want.
    It is my TV client, so hooked up to a TV. The only handheld, is my remote and a small keyboard. The TVclient computer will primarily be in MEPO, but once in a while, I drop to desktop, on my current setup, with Win7.
    Trying to navigate around, in 1080x1920 on win7 desktop is not easy. Metro seems to do that better, and also seems to handle the remotecontrols arrow keys better.

But, in either case, I will install win8 on my TV client, and run MEPO on that.

wagenveld

Portal Pro
    June 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Pressing the WIN key will bring you to back to Metro, I agree on a HTPC its easier to navigate. I've added some nice arcade games from the W8 Store which are easily accessible from Metro.

Users who are viewing this thread