Windows 8: Would You Update? (1 Viewer)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Hi.
    I do not see any disatvantages comparing to Win 7
    What's about Aero (this is needed to run MP smoothly)? This isn't available on Win8 at all, not even with 3rd party software... So MP on Win8 will never be as good as on Win7, it''s simply impossible (at least until Microsoft adds Aero later on with SP1 or so)...

Windows 8 has AERO. It just looks different.

Infidelus

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Keep in mind that MP 1.2.x will not install/run on W8, and MP 1.3.0 Alpha has to be hacked to work with it. We plan to add W8 as an 'unsupported' OS for MP 1.3.0 Beta (so that it can be installed) but there may be W8-related issues that we haven't discovered yet, so you'll be at the cutting edge of MP1 development for a while :)

Tony

Where'd you get that it won't install/run on Windows 8? MP 1.2.3 is installed and running on this machine and I've quite happily watched my videos using it. I don't use the MP TVServer, but the client most definitely DOES install and run.

markrb

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2006
    I updated my main PC and I don't see any down side other than some programs won't run on it. Most programs will and most of those that don't have newer versions or updates that will. Of course I am holding off updating my HTPC until MP officially supports it. I think it's a bit faster than Win7.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Keep in mind that MP 1.2.x will not install/run on W8, and MP 1.3.0 Alpha has to be hacked to work with it. We plan to add W8 as an 'unsupported' OS for MP 1.3.0 Beta (so that it can be installed) but there may be W8-related issues that we haven't discovered yet, so you'll be at the cutting edge of MP1 development for a while :)

Tony

Where'd you get that it won't install/run on Windows 8? MP 1.2.3 is installed and running on this machine and I've quite happily watched my videos using it. I don't use the MP TVServer, but the client most definitely DOES install and run.

TV server won't run without being modified - see https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/tv-server-and-windows-8.106286/

Also, the main MP installer shouldn't allow installation on unsupported OS's (yes, I know you can work around that by unpacking the individual client and TV server installer files and running those, but that's a power user thing ;))

I haven't tried Windows 8 myself yet, so the above is based on the comments from other people....

Tony

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    1.3.0 A client and TV server both - installed several times with no hacking or any workaround.
    I'll bow to your greater knowledge then :)

Re: the Aero question above - AFAIK Win 8 is effectively 'Aero' only - you can't turn off the Desktop Window Manager.

Tony

Last edited:

donzella

Portal Member
    August 22, 2009
    Wow, Lehmden, hate windows much? I've been using 8 as a preview and then installed the PRO version the day I got it from MSDN. I have it on two machines and have zero issues with it. Everything runs as it should and I didn't have to install anything different than I did on 7. Codecs, audio, video, eq... everything I wanted to use works just fine. In fact, everything has worked great so far. I am also a windows phone user so I am used to the metro style feel. I think you are just completely against it from the start and are hating on it here. It's not nearly as bad as you have said and I would actually recommend it for desktop software. I have not officially put it on my media server with mediaportal yet, but hopefully the real support for that comes soon and I most certainly will install it then.

Infidelus

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2006
    Home Country

Tony

TV server won't run without being modified - see https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/tv-server-and-windows-8.106286/

Also, the main MP installer shouldn't allow installation on unsupported OS's (yes, I know you can work around that by unpacking the individual client and TV server installer files and running those, but that's a power user thing ;))

I haven't tried Windows 8 myself yet, so the above is based on the comments from other people....

Tony

I can't comment on TV server as I don't use it. As for the main MP installer, no special actions/workarounds were required to make it run on Windows 8. Double clicked the exe and did exactly the same as I've done with Windows XP and 7.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    I am liking Windows 8 so far and I have just upgraded my main HTPC. If you run MP as the shell you bypass metro and it runs pretty well. You get the MS DTV codecs and so far everything I have tried just works but a little quicker. Boot times are really low and there are a couple of other nice little bits.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    that's good to know, looks like most people with personal experience who have commented on win8 & MP have had little/no problems, This goes against what I've read previously :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom