Operating System Windows 8 (2 Viewers)

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Microsoft unvield their new OS last night and there wasn't really that much news for HTPC-enthusiasts. One thing that was confirmed was that we won't be able to run MP or MP2 on ARM, correct?

The one thing I loved for my HTPC though was the "refresh your PC" and "reset your PC" functionality which basically either wipes your PC back to scratch, or saves all your data wipes your PC and then puts the data back with the push of a button.

The great thing here is that we can choose how the computer should be set up after the wipe, and it sounded like it would be really easy.

Set up the HTPC the way you want it.
    Run a command line command
    That's it.

Now all you have to do is to press a button and it returns to "new" state.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Microsoft unvield their new OS last night and there wasn't really that much news for HTPC-enthusiasts. One thing that was confirmed was that we won't be able to run MP or MP2 on ARM, correct?

Who confirmed that & when? If MS provides MCE on ARM it will provide all the needed infrastructure. So we might be able to use that. MP itself is mostly .NET and that compiles to ARM no problem (it is still on the MS core Windows platform). The filters might give us issues.

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Ok, sorry if I was mistaken, but when Microsoft sais that pre-Windows 8 applications won't run on ARM, I take it that means Mediaportal aswell. I'm not saying that one can't make MP run on ARM, but it means having 2 versions of MP doesn't it?

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ah, OK, you meant on this pre-release. I thought you meant MP would never run on win8 on ARM. There is not enough info yet to determine that.

MS basically are saying: just recompile for ARM. We will see. The .NET stuff probably doesn't even need recompilation (as it is running in the run-time anyway).

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Well, I wasn't thinking MP won't run on this developer version, I was thinking that the version of Mediaportal we have now won't run on ARM-computers, it's probably possible to make changes to it (not a programmer, so no idea how many changes) so it can run though, but that'll mean maintaining two different versions of MP.

But like I said I'm no programmer so I don't know the techical bits of this, just pulling conclusions from what's being said.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Well, I wasn't thinking MP won't run on this developer version, I was thinking that the version of Mediaportal we have now won't run on ARM-computers, it's probably possible to make changes to it (not a programmer, so no idea how many changes) so it can run though, but that'll mean maintaining two different versions of MP.

But like I said I'm no programmer so I don't know the techical bits of this, just pulling conclusions from what's being said.

It will completely depend if Microsoft supports directshow on Windows 8 ARM. They could drop it completely and in that case MP cannot run without huge changes (using MediaFoundation to re-write all video playback related things). If they support directshow still on ARM platfrom then recompiling the code with minor modifications could be the troute to go.

But vefore MS provides more information on their ARM based OS code we cannot say for sure what the future brings.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks tourettes, that was my expectation. I might try giving MP a testrun on my Win 8 virtual box ;-)

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Windows 8

I've read on golem.de that ARM platform is only supported by the so called "Windows Runtime", that is some kind of .Net 4.5. Other APIs and frameworks will most probably be not supported on ARM. So I see no real chance for MP on this archtitecture :(

JacobJust

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Just installed Windows 8 CP on machine and tried MP1 on it.

Works very well !!! Actually it works better on Windows 8 than on windows 7 so far.

It runs very fast and very smooth. Even when viewing HD channel and going thru EPG windows with video in bottom left corner the flickering is gone.

Only thing that i can't get working is TV server. TVservice won't start and throws a "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it".

Still trying to get TVserver working....

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Maybe a Win8 MediaPortal Metro app needs to be developed. Could be interesting connecting the MP TV Server backend to a Metro Style app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom