[Info] Windows Phone App (1 Viewer)

Klathman

Portal Member
July 19, 2007
Works really great for me. Would be nice to be able to customise the port for when I'm connecting from the Internet through a home router but a really great start.

schwerdy

Portal Member
January 6, 2015
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello @all,
I have a Problem with the use of my MPTCLient8.
Since I upgraded my Lumia 920 to WP8.1 cyan update, I am not able to view any video.
After about 5 seconds of playing live stream or video, the data stream starts stucking and then the video stops completely. PreBuffering settings have no effect to the problem. My used Version is 0.7.1.0, but the 0.8 is not downloadable from the store.
It makes no difference wether I use the local LAN adress to connect to my MediaPortal Server or the public IP.
When I watch with a normal PC, e.g. Firefox all is fine and I can watch with the FlashMedium profile normaly.
Are there any experiences in the forum or by the developers?

Thanks for your help and sorry for the bad english.

F0nz0

Portal Member
October 7, 2014
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hello @all,
Are there any experiences in the forum or by the developers?

First of all, too bad development of this nice app seems to have stopped. It's really a great functionality to watch MePo Live-TV on Windows Phone.

I'm having similar issues on my Nokia 630 running Windows 10 Technical Preview. I did not test MPTVClient8 in W8.1 (yet) and do realize the 630 is a bit of a low-end phone and the OS is still in an early development stage.

I have MPExtended 0.5.4 with the correct WP8 Streaming Profiles installed on my Windows 7 Pro 23-bit mediacenter pc with MePo 1.10.0 and able to stream Live-TV over LAN and WAN. I set pre-buffering to 60 secs and the stream kicks in after a while of buffering. But after a few minutes the audio and video buffers get depleted, resulting in stuttering audio/video playback and eventuelly crashing the app.

This happens on all three available WP8 Streaming Profiles FFmpeg WXGA, WVGA and 720p. I already tried to tweak these Profiles in the .xml file of MPExtended, setting lower bandwidth/resolution but the result is the same. I'm lacking the knowledge to properly edit these profiles.

Might give MPExtended Service 0.6.0 Beta a try to see if this improves things. Any other suggestions are welcome.

schwerdy

Portal Member
January 6, 2015
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi F0nz0,
thanks for your reply.
I tested the v0.6.0 already but could not see an improvement for my problem. Actually I use it...
The thing is, that I have about 90% CPU-load when I stream a localy saved video (core2duo E8400 @3,0GHz). But it works. I reduced the output video quality by changung the video profile.
When I want to stream live TV the CPU-load is at about 30-40%.. so I don't think that that is the problem. It seems to me, that MP beginns to fill the timeshift buffer, but then it doen't keep it filled. Its very strange...

Best regards,
schwerdy

Last edited:

F0nz0

Portal Member
October 7, 2014
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
On my mediacenter Haswell i5-4570k I get a anverage cpu-load of 15-20% when streaming MePo Live-TV, I guess this is acceptable and rules out the server's cpu. So, your assumption is probably right that the client's buffer is not filled properly and gets depleted. Especially, the audio buffer. What are the changes you made to the video profiles?

I did not locally played video on the app yet, but this has no buffering issues at all?

Last edited:

schwerdy

Portal Member
January 6, 2015
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,
here is my config for the wvga profile. As you can see, I only reduced the bandwith, which is available for the stream. I didn't reduce the resolution, because this had no impact on the problem. With reducing the bandwith, I was able to get streaming of locally stored videos working. Thus struggled like the live tv stream after 4-5 seconds. Now this is working. Also I looked in the FFMG encoding options and enabled the multicore support. But this had no effect. As the cpu load in the live tv is under 50% I don't think, that this is an encoding problem. It has to be a problem with WP8.1 and above. You can watch youtube in HD, so a simple PAL mpg2 stream has to be no problem for modern phones like lumia 630 und 920...

<Name>WP8 FFmpeg WVGA</Name>
<Description>WVGA Profile for WP8</Description>
<HasVideoStream>true</HasVideoStream>
<MIME>video/MP2T</MIME>
<MaxOutputWidth>1280</MaxOutputWidth>
<MaxOutputHeight>768</MaxOutputHeight>
<Targets>
<Target>windows-phone-ts</Target>
</Targets>
<Bandwidth>512</Bandwidth>
<Transport>http</Transport>
<Transcoder>MPExtended.Services.StreamingService.Transcoders.FFMpeg</Transcoder>
<TranscoderParameters>
<codecParameters>-x264opts no-cabac:trellis=0:keyint=50 -codec:v libx264 -b:v 512k -r 25 -profile:v baseline -preset:v faster -coder rle -codec:a libmp3lame -b:a 128k -ac 2 -strict experimental -sn -f mpegts -async 1000</codecParameters>

F0nz0

Portal Member
October 7, 2014
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Thanks! Will try to reduce this bandwidth this evening in the WVGA profile to see if this helps. I also decreased resolutions in the WVGA profile before, but this seems to have no effect indeed.

Did you make sure you: made changes to the .xml file in the subdirectory "C:\ProgramData\MPExtended\StreamingProfiles.xml" (not the one in "Program Files") and set the <Customized> tag in the file from "false" to "true"? Otherwise, changes to the .xml file are overwritten when starting the MPExtended service.

Found some dev info on streaming profiles:
http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ccess/MPExtended/Developers/Creating_profiles

And multicore streaming:
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/streaming-profiles-and-multiple-cores.117217/
I guess you already added the "-threads X" option (where X is the number of cores)?

Some German info on streaming problems on webbrowser/Android, similar to ours:
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mpextended-genug-von-klötzchen-gibts-neue-streaming-profiles.128314/

Last edited:

schwerdy

Portal Member
January 6, 2015
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,
I think we have to use the WP8 profiles because in the MPTV Client we are only able to choose between the three defaults. You are right, I changed the xml in the ProgramData folder. I think it could be interesting to use VLC for transcoding. I will try to set up a streaming profile with vlc. I tried the threats option with value 2. The guy from germany is only asking for some new profiles, becaus the streaming over the web browser is him too slow and has to many blocks on bigger screens.. His problem is that his upstream is with 600kbit/s to slow, but I have this problems also in my local wlan with enough bandwith...

F0nz0

Portal Member
October 7, 2014
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I assume restriction of choosing these 3 defaults is determined by the tag <Target>windows-phone-ts</Target>. Perhaps changing the tags to this value in the VLC profiles will make them visible in the MPTCLient8 app?

Here it is confirmed by Oxan that changing the bandwidth value has no effect:
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mpextended-streaming-xml-need-help.113091/

Also check this link where the transcoding options are somehow explained in an example:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/StreamingGuide#Transcodingrepeating
  • -b:a 96k sets the audio bit rate. Currently "128k" in the WP8 profiles.
  • -b:v 500k set the video bit rate. Currently "1768k" in the WP8 profiles.
  • -ac 2 specifies two channels of audio. Currently "2" in the WP8 profiles, "1" for mono I assume.
  • -preset ultrafast. Curently "faster" in the WP8 profiles.

Last edited:

schwerdy

Portal Member
January 6, 2015
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi, yes the descripted line has no effect on the transcoding process, but as you wrote, the parameter-b:v 500 reduces the quality. In my profile I reduced both values so, the normal stream is possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom