Operating System Windows Vista SP2 and Media Portal (1 Viewer)

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I think Vista 64 bits isn't officially supported, Media Portal is a 32 bits application so in Vista 64 it runs on emulation. I think there are some things that need to be done in order to run it properly, but I'm not aware of them. I chose Vista 32 bits, because I really need the least amount of trouble with my HTPC, it's the only device able to record TV shows at home and WAF is important :) .

MLH01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I think Vista 64 bits isn't officially supported, Media Portal is a 32 bits application so in Vista 64 it runs on emulation. I think there are some things that need to be done in order to run it properly, but I'm not aware of them. I chose Vista 32 bits, because I really need the least amount of trouble with my HTPC, it's the only device able to record TV shows at home and WAF is important :) .
    Can anyone confirm this? I hope I haven't chosen the wrong setup :confused: (See edit below).

One thing I should mention is that I realised that ComSkip wasn't working (after checking the tv.log). I recently updated to the latest version (80.023). In Vista you need to manually run ComSkip (double click the comskip.exe file or test within TVsetup > Plugins > ComSkip) and specify 'always allow this to run' (or 'don't show this again' or something like that) in the dialog box that comes up first time. Otherwise Vista won't go any further.

After doing this (as per the readme file in the comskip download, which I should have read...), I tested it and it started working again. I actually forgot to run it manually after upgrading it :oops:

I then tested a scheduled recording, and sure enough it recorded the program and then fired up the comskip service and then shut down (sleep mode) after completing the comskip task. I'm not sure if this was causing the intermittent over-recording, but I guess it could be possible. I will need to wait to see how it goes with several recordings before deciding if it is now resolved. I'll post back within the next day or two.

MLH01.

EDIT: I have checked the MP Manual, and it mentions Vista x64 SP1 as a supported OS (see here). I would expect Vista x64 SP2 to work as well, given that it is supposed to resolve several issues.

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Maybe new builds are now compatible. I saw an older post from Frodo (here), so when it was time to build a new PC I went for Vista 32 bits. But this seems to have changed, I haven't been able to build new releases because I can no longer use VS Express Editions (the free ones) :( . So you better follow in the new thread and see what comes.

As a side note, yesterday I had time to install SP2, and today I have two scheduled recordings (at the same time). I'll see how it works. So far SP2 doesn't seem to change much anything on all the computers I've tried (my laptop and several desktops at work).

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    As a side note, yesterday I had time to install SP2, and today I have two scheduled recordings (at the same time). I'll see how it works. So far SP2 doesn't seem to change much anything on all the computers I've tried (my laptop and several desktops at work).

SP2 seems to be OK on my PC's too - so far all scheduled recordings have worked correctly. Only thing I've noticed is that the sound card speaker and volume settings were reset on the HTPC - not a big deal.

Tony

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    My experience with SP2 install, caused the Nvidia graphics driver to get corrupted so I got a blank screen on start, a quick boot into safe mode, uninstall the drivers and then let windows reinstall fixed.
    There does seem to be some side effects reported on different systems, these mainly from what I have read, relate to usb devices showing errors on resume from standby.

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    What's the best way of installing SP2 in a fresh installation? As I can see it there are two directions to go:

- Install Vista DVD (SP1 included)
    - Run Windows Update
    - Install SP2

or

- Install Vista DVD
    - Install SP2
    - Run Windows Update

Which would be the best way to attack this?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    What's the best way of installing SP2 in a fresh installation? As I can see it there are two directions to go:

- Install Vista DVD (SP1 included)
    - Run Windows Update
    - Install SP2

or

- Install Vista DVD
    - Install SP2
    - Run Windows Update

Which would be the best way to attack this?

The first way - SP2 is available via Windows Update now, so that should ensure things are installed in the correct order.

Tony

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    The first way - SP2 is available via Windows Update now, so that should ensure things are installed in the correct order.

Tony

I don't think it's available unless you're running the english version (and maybe the other big MS-languages like french and german).

SP1 is mandatory, SP2 won't install without it.

Yes, I know, but my Vista DVDs has SP1 integrated so that's not an issue, it's the hotfixes in between SP1 and SP2 that's the "problem".

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I don't think it's available unless you're running the english version (and maybe the other big MS-languages like french and german).

Good point.

I think one of the recent Windows Update patches said it was to ensure that SP2 could be installed, so I think it would be best to let Windows Update run before installing SP2.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom