Operating System Windows Vista SP2 and Media Portal (1 Viewer)

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    If you install SP2 while connected to the Internet, SP2 will install that patch if you don't have it already. I've seen that on one of the computers that I upgraded to SP2 (or at least I saw how a patch was installed on that particular computer).

PacYac

October 13, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Vista SP2 Mediaportal failure

I have MediaPortal 1.02 installed which had been running fine on Vista SP1 viewing and recording from satellite DVB-S, all non-Hi-Def.

I installed Vista SP2 a few days ago. This appeared to install without any issues.

I am now having several problems as a direct result of the SP2 install:
    1) I cannot play Live TV - MP hangs and I have to kill it.
    2) I cannot play recorded TV. It simply hangs for quite a few seconds, flickers, does nothing, then normal control resumes.
    I can still schedule TV recordings with MP, but I have to watch them with some other software such as Windows Media Centre.

3) When playing DVDs (ISO images) or videos of any sort MPEG WMV MP4 etc I get no sound/audio. Music (Mp3 WMA) plays OK.

All video/TV/DVDs use MPC-MPEG-2 Video Decoder (Gabest)
    All video/TV/DVDs sound use MPC - MPA Decoder filter to Digital SPDIF renderer.
    Apart from the above, all MediaPortal functions as normal!

4) After one or two failed attempts I managed to uninstall SP2 but the same Mediaportal problems remain.

I can't say I am too impressed with Vista SP2. Mediaportal is getting much better bit by bit.

Any help appreciated.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Welcome to MP PacYac

I would reinstall video\audio drivers and see if the problem persists, as my previous post in this thread, sp2 screwed my video driver, after that it may be codec related, so reinstall any codecs you may have.

PacYac

October 13, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks Ray, that helped.

Installed latest Nvidia driver 185.85 bad news lost my 2nd video output via DVI to VGA. Reverted to 182.08 and all good after a fight (Go NVidia).
    Installed latest Gigabyte Realtek audio drivers, that seemed to be the trick, but back to plain stereo via optical SPDIF, no 5.1 yet. Now have TV, DVD sound etc. Now to reinstall some missing Codecs (XVID and others).

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I'm using ATI on my HTPC and had no issues when I installed SP2. Everything looks the same and works the same, I see no differences, but Media Portal takes the screen about 99,99% of the time there :) .

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm using ATI on my HTPC and had no issues when I installed SP2. Everything looks the same and works the same, I see no differences, but Media Portal takes the screen about 99,99% of the time there

Well someone has to be lucky, might as well be you :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom