wintv-pvr-350 composite/s-video? (1 Viewer)

yeahman45

Portal Member
December 31, 2013
Home Country
US Minor Outlying Islands US Minor Outlying Islands
how well does the composite/s-video works on the wintv pvr 350 on mediaportal? I believe this card has hardware encoding so should be fine right?

and does it work on win7 64bit with more than 4gb? thx in advance.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

yeahman45

Portal Member
    December 31, 2013
    Home Country
    thx for replying. the problem is that hauppauge website is not up to date. It says the same for pvr 150 but there are official windows 7 64bit for pvr 150. As for pvr 350, some says it is compatible with win7 64bit... but some says no... this is why i am asking here as i am a bit confused. The problems with these tv tuner cards are that issues seem different for different users...

when i read threads on pvr 150.. people say "you better buy a pvr 250 or 350 instead of the pvr 150, unlike pvr 150, they work perfectly with more than 4gb ram (so i assume 64bit OS as only 64bit OS support more than 4gb).. So, i decide to search for a pvr 350... so i read some threads on pvr 350. Now, I read people say it is not so stable.. it does not work with more than 4gb ram etc... lol I don't know what to believe...

that's why i posted a fresh new question here in the hope that someone provide better explanations and clarification.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    thx for replying. the problem is that hauppauge website is not up to date. It says the same for pvr 150 but there are official windows 7 64bit for pvr 150.
    I completely disagree. Please read the website again. I quote...

For the PVR-150, the website says:
    Note: This driver can be used with Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7.
    Note: This driver can be used in a 32bit or 64bit system with less than 4gigs of ram
    (http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_pvr150.html "driver install only" tab)

32 and 64 bit drivers are provided in the zip package.
    You can use this card on W7 64 bit... but only if you have less than 4 GB of RAM.

For the PVR-250/350 (different chipset), the website says:
    Note: This driver can be used with Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7.
    Note: this driver can only be used in a 32-bit Windows mode.
    (http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_pvr250-350.html "driver install only" tab)

Only 32 bit drivers are provided in the zip package. There are no 64 bit drivers available.
    You cannot use this card on W7 64 bit.

How is this not clear?
    Where is the confusion?
    The website seems very clear to me! ;)

As for pvr 350, some says it is compatible with win7 64bit... but some says no... this is why i am asking here as i am a bit confused.
    It is not compatible.

The problems with these tv tuner cards are that issues seem different for different users...
    I don't know what problems you're looking at so I have no further comment.

when i read threads on pvr 150.. people say "you better buy a pvr 250 or 350 instead of the pvr 150, unlike pvr 150, they work perfectly with more than 4gb ram (so i assume 64bit OS as only 64bit OS support more than 4gb).. So, i decide to search for a pvr 350... so i read some threads on pvr 350. Now, I read people say it is not so stable.. it does not work with more than 4gb ram etc... lol I don't know what to believe...

that's why i posted a fresh new question here in the hope that someone provide better explanations and clarification.
    I can only repeat that I have never owned these cards. I don't know what threads you are looking at. However, I do know that official 64 bit drivers are not available for PVR 250/350.

So it is very simple: unless you can find unofficial 64 bit drivers for PVR-250/350, you cannot use them on 64 bit versions of Windows.
    You can try the PVR-150 (or 500) on 64 bit versions of Windows... but you will have trouble if you have >= 4096 MB of RAM.

yeahman45

Portal Member
    December 31, 2013
    Home Country
    I was not talking about the official website but support forums with people complaining that pvr 150 does not work well on x64 win7 and replies recommending PVR 350 instead of the PVR 150... I think these people were actually misleading as, like you pointed out, pvr 350 does not work at all on x64 win7.

Thank you for your replies... It's more clear for me now... i will go with the pvr 150 and stick with less than 4gb ram :) thx

rspierenburg

Portal Pro
    June 18, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    If you don't mind an external USB solution the Hauppauge HVR-1950 works great with Windows 7 4gb+ RAM and Mediaportal. It has a hardware encoder so it works well with low power HTPC as well.

yeahman45

Portal Member
    December 31, 2013
    Home Country
    If you don't mind an external USB solution the Hauppauge HVR-1950 works great with Windows 7 4gb+ RAM and Mediaportal. It has a hardware encoder so it works well with low power HTPC as well.
    thx for the suggestion. it does look good but too expensive :(

Users who are viewing this thread