Wireless connection (1 Viewer)

Johan

Portal Pro
April 19, 2006
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I want to use wireless connection to my HTPC.

I have all movies (DVD images) on my server.
Is 802.11g fast enough for streaming the DVD movie from my server or do I need the newer Draft N technology to make this happen?

wishywashy

Portal Pro
January 31, 2005
Hill AFB, UT
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I can stream to 2 computers from a central one with .11g. However, I have aftermarket antennas and the PC's have pretty descent line of site.

NickName

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 23, 2006
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    I can stream to 2 computers from a central one with .11g. However, I have aftermarket antennas and the PC's have pretty descent line of site.
    Lucky you! I have 802.11g but no line of sight so my wifi sucks... I guess I could either get some aftermarket antennas or upgrade to 802.11n...
    Note: I can stream from a PC connected (via ethernet to the WiFi hub then) to my bedroom PC. I cannot stream any video (DVD, TV recordings) from my main Mediaportal PC to anywhere but it is on the other side of the house and the kitchen is in between, so the microwave oven and cordless phone would be likely culprits for that.

I would have 'no' to Johan's question but obviously I would have been wrong.

Johan, I am guessing that if you wanted to stream HD TV then you would need 802.11n but your question was about DVDs so provided you have line of site with no cordless phones, etc. in between then it should (?) be fine.
    Personally I'd go 802.11n, if you don't mind the chance of incompatibility in the future. However, incompatibility means that 'War Drivers' (WiFi hackers) would need your exact hardware to hack you, so incompatibility can also mean a little extra security.

Good luck,

Nick Name.

Johan

Portal Pro
    April 19, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

Thank you all for suggestions.

What kind of aftermarket antennas are you using?

I want to "hide" my Wifi router in a closet. It will however not be more than max 10 meter from my HTPC with an open door between the rooms. The walls are also pretty thin. It is only plaster boards (not sure about this translation) as walls.

I guess I can try. I get the 11g router for free from my ISP. I can buy a 11n card and if I then need buy a new router I do that. I dont think the price difference between 11g or 11n (Draft) Wifi boards are too big.

Klept

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2007
    Utah
    Home Country
    I guess I can try. I get the 11g router for free from my ISP. I can buy a 11n card and if I then need buy a new router I do that. I dont think the price difference between 11g or 11n (Draft) Wifi boards are too big.

I was in a similar situation, but I wanted to stream to 5 machines. ;) I tried G, "Turbo-G", and the likes... I was going to try N, but if you read the forums from the top manufactures, you'll quickly see many posts about instability. Thats NOT what I wanted amidst a good action seen with company over.. As for Price, "N" in the US is on average twice the cost of G.

I had to resort to Cat5, it took allot of work running it to 6 rooms throughout a 3 story house, but SOOOOO worth it.

-----------------
    Just to add my experience with "Turbo-G", IT SUCKS. ;) Basically it runs at 54mbs until the traffic starts being too much. (ie, your movie will start skipping). It seemed to me, turbo-g says, Woah there is too much traffic, time to turn it up. It will then proceed to stop all traffic like a dam, then open the flood gate (With some packet compression). You'll then jump upto 108mbps and it will slowly back down to 54mps. Rinse, and repeat.

Johan

Portal Pro
    April 19, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hmm.. so for example D-Link draft N is not good?
    Anyone who knows which brand to choose if I am going for draft N?

Any tips for forums or reviews of draft N products?

Klept

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2007
    Utah
    Home Country
    Hmm.. so for example D-Link draft N is not good?
    Anyone who knows which brand to choose if I am going for draft N?

Any tips for forums or reviews of draft N products?

I can't say which is "Good".. I'm more or less just giving you things to think about when considering wireless. ;) umm.. I would just search the bigname forums and see what the general feel is for their N-Draft product. I personally would give "N" another year before considering it.

Also, say, 300mpbs of wireless is still WAY slower then a hardwired 10/100 nic. You can also future-proof yourself with gigabit if you could consider wired. I know it's not an option for allot of ppl.

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I have tried to view HD Video's via wireless, but did not work as it should, I have a Fritz wireless system that should be capable to run at 125Mb/sec,
    54G++ they call that, but it appearently is not enough. Now connected the NAS using the normal NIC and works fine.

BUT during my trial and error experience with the wireless I also tried a DVD (just the normal DVD file structure, so not an image), and the DVD played perfectly! So if you only want to play DVD's form a network drive via wireless, 54G might be sufficient.. I must say my reception was allways excellent.

Lots

bolders

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The DVD spec limits bit rate to something like 10Mbs. The best I have seen a 54g connection run at is about 20-25Mbs with a very good signal.
    I dont think you will get anything like the quoted 54Mbs but you should get enough bandwidth.
    From my own experiences I can stream DVDs and TV to wireless devices but there are occasional dropouts which i find unacceptable. i have often wondered if it is due to a momentary drop in signal and if a larger buffer would smooth out the playback but have never done any research into the problem. As far as i am concerned wired is always the way to go unless you have no other choice but im hopping that wireless N will provide a suitable alternative but its still a bit expensive for me.

bolders

Users who are viewing this thread