WorldWeather Lite (2 Viewers)

vuego

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 5, 2006
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I see, I didn't check the providers webpages yet. I just compared to the Windows 8 weather app which is actually quite nice with three different providers by default :)
    Bing-Weather-WIndows-8.png

As you can see, they put today's max/min in its own day column. Just for information. I'm not sure if those values are appropriate or not

Micropolis

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2009
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi vuego,
    ... As you can see, they put today's max/min in its own day column. Just for information. I'm not sure if those values are appropriate or not ...
    if you can give me the information, which provider URL is used for this Windows 8 app, it's possible to discuss ways to include this feature. Otherwise, I think that this discussion goes far beyond the original idea of a Area 51 thread.

Cheers, Micropolis

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Also just to add to what Micropolis has already said, features that are not in this "BASIC" weather module, can be obtained by upgrading to the WorldWeather plugin, we need to only know your experiences testing this, would be nice for feedback of the ip lookup vs add location, plus maybe a comment on weather reading reliability amongst providers,

ie if we find a certain provider is bad for Canada\USA, but great for Europe, that could be documented in the wiki as such, so a recommendation of not to use that particular provider based on locale can be made.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    or if one weather provider was bad for Canada/USA, but great for Europe, then we could change the default provider based on region?

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Provider images are supported now, the latest build can be found at the first post of this thread.
    Thank you ! I can confirm working as expected - ofc they are the same as WW but still good to verify ;)

The are some more things (e.g. see the discussion here), which must be documented in a understandable way.
    Yes, I had seen that post, but tbh I wonder if we should encourage such customization for the 'basic' WWL version? We can discuss that when we do the docs. ;)

...we need to only know your experiences testing this, would be nice for feedback of the ip lookup vs add location, plus maybe a comment on weather reading reliability amongst providers,

ie if we find a certain provider is bad for Canada\USA, but great for Europe, that could be documented in the wiki as such, so a recommendation of not to use that particular provider based on locale can be made.
    +1 the whole point was to create a simple version for new users. The Detect button is very good, however as I pointed out before, a single method does not work for all providers :(. I think in most cases it will, but not always - as Micropolis pointed out already you have to check the comparison table to see what each provider requires - city name, code and country for Weather Underground.

Has anyone had success with Weather Underground yet? My key seems valid, I can access via the Troubleshooting instructions, but every location I try I get 'error loading weather condition data." Besides I am not sure that getting a key, and figuring out their system of allowed accesses and raindrops is ideal for new users. Plus it is the only provider that requires a country. So unless Weather Underground is a really good source for some locations, should we drop it from WWL? How easy/difficult is that for you Micropolis? Although a key is also required for World Weather Online, I found the process reasonably easy, and at least every location I have tried works (although the data is not always that accurate - but nothing we can do about that!)

Micropolis

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2009
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi kiwijunglist, Dadeo,
    ... or if one weather provider was bad for Canada/USA, but great for Europe, then we could change the default provider based on region? ...
    I'm not sure, which criterias do you want to use, if it's good or bad for a specific region. From my point of view we can publish best practice solutions and suggestions from our community. I do not want to force the user to use a default region provider without provable criterias.

... Has anyone had success with Weather Underground yet? My key seems valid, I can access via the Troubleshooting instructions, but every location I try I get 'error loading weather condition data ...
    I would not offer any provider, if this had not been tested before. Let me take a look before, where your problem is.

... So unless Weather Underground is a really good source for some locations, should we drop it from WWL? ...
    I do not want to remove this provider until we have community results or more messages. Otherwise, it produces only effort yet.

Cheers, Micropolis

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Understood - that was why I asked if anyone else had tested WU with success. Is there logging somewhere? can I post something that will help?

You can try Toronto Canada either WOEID *4118 or city code CAXX0504 - neither worked for me.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    but by design you have to have a default providor, so might as well choose one based on user feedback, this would improve user experience as no one wants to consult a wiki to see which provider might be the best for their region. Anyways do what you think is best, it's so good that we are getting weather back into MP default installation.

Last edited:

Micropolis

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2009
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Dadeo, kiwijunglist,
    ... You can try Toronto Canada either WOEID *4118 or city code CAXX0504 ...
    Please try the latest build of WorldWeather Lite or WorldWeather to verify, if the sunshine calculation bugfix has fixed your problem. I have tested this using the following conditions: Location: "Goderich", Country: "Canada", City code: "CAXX0165", Longitude: "-81.7052612" and Latitude: "43.7457047".

... but by design you have to have a default providor, so might as well choose one based on user feedback, this would improve user experience ...
    Correct, but the default provider has impact to ALL countries or contintents. Currently it is not possible to separate by region.

Cheers, Micropolis

Last edited:

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Tried weather underground, got a dev key ;)

If I have WU for both today and forecast I get this screen (also popups no info)

12-29-10.png

But if I select any provider as current or forecast with WU as one setting, takes ages for forecast to populate, around 45secs approx, then info is shown :confused:

12-30-27.png

12-30-32.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom