WorldWeather plugin v1.10.0 for MediaPortal 1.3.0 and higher (11 Viewers)

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Why make this so complicated? Finding the expert settings is complicated enough without having to add files.

IMO putting needless stumbling blocks like this in place is simply asking for problems in the future.
    Allow access to all settings and credit people with the intelligence not to play with things they don't need to.
    If you think that giving access to these settings might break something provide a restore to defaults button.

You might be amused to know that those files are not in the 'Nightly build' or the version 6.0 zips on the first post either... ;)

lol

Last edited:

Micropolis

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2009
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    SpudR,
    Why make this so complicated? Finding the expert settings is complicated enough without having to add files.
    If you could do it better, I'm waiting for your own (and maybe better) implementation. If you do not want to use this, let your fingers away. Such discussions are completely unreasonable.

Micropolis

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Sigh...
    dis·cus·sion/disˈkəSHən/
    Noun:
    1. The action or process of talking about something, typically in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas.
    2. A conversation or debate about a certain topic.
    Though your plugins are usually fabulous you seem to have a great way of over complicating things - Do you by any chance work for Microsoft ;)

Take the suggestion or don't - your choice.

And now back to your usual program...

Last edited:

kjegibbons

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2011
    Surrey
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Not wanting to upset or criticize anyone, but I would like to share my honest opinions.

This plugin is complicated by it's nature and so it follows that configuration may also be so, as it is rich with much information and content. For me the config side of MP is just as interesting and educational as the end product and quite addictive. The manual is very well laid out with clear information IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!! But could I suggest that an "Idiots Guide To WW config" pdf (for want of a better word) be created for the likes of me and others that goes into more detail and explains the affects of changing different parts of the config would have on the GUI and in what circumstances one would want to change them.

For example......... Capture.PNG..........I have not yet figured out why one would want to change the rotation of the zodiac, surely if one changes the rotation it will display the wrong sign??? Or..........Capture1.PNG..........what affect "Hide wait cursor permanently" has, or in what circumstances the "Timeout" value should be changed?

Personally, I still have a couple of issues to sort out in the config such as..........Capture.PNG..........I have entered my own entries for Starry Sky using expert config but my entries do not appear in the dropdown config box..........Capture.PNG...........the entry that is in the config box I had to copy and paste directly into it. Even so, I still don't see my image in the GUI as it still shows the original default images even though I have removed them from the xml file???!!!
    smiley-confused013.gif
    ...........Capture.PNG

This is the case for some (BUT NOT ALL???) of the entries I have entered via "Expert" config in the WorldWeatherWebsites.xml file.

The same is true for the "Calendar" config..........Capture.PNG..........even though I have entered my own dates these do not appear in the GUI???.........Capture.PNG

I am pretty sure that this is something on my part that I have overlooked or omitted but compiling an "Idiots Guide" may be quicker for the WW plugin developers and community members to do rather than time spent answering (sometimes repeated) forum questions.

I am currently using DefaultWide as my skin to try and avoid additional problems with WW config due to other skin xml file compatibility problems that may distract me from the real config issues I have. I haven't yet tackled these problems as I am currently working on a method to play full screen weather videos from within the plugin.

@Micropolis I think I'm right in saying that the WW plugin is one of, if not the most popular plugins. I think that speaks for itself. Please keep up the good work. However, I do agree with SpudR that a hidden "Expert" mode isn't necessary and a written warning in red in the tab window such as the codec section has would suffice.

Regards to all.
    smiley-greet013.gif

Last edited:

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello!
    First of all thanks for your great update! Nice work as always! :)
    I got a small problem tho: #WorldWeather.LocationCountry doesn't seem to work for me. It returns nothing.
    The code I am using is:
    Code:
    <control>
          <description>WEATHER Location Label</description>
          <type>label</type>
          <posX>325</posX>
          <posY>395</posY>
          <width>380</width>
          <height>62</height>
          <label> in #WorldWeather.Location, #WorldWeather.LocationCountry</label>
          <textcolor>#menuitemFocus</textcolor>
          <font>mediastream10tc</font>
          <align>right</align>
          <animation effect="fade" delay="350" time="250">Visible</animation>
          <animation effect="slide" start="-400,0" end="0,0" tween="quadratic" easing="in" time="400" delay="200">WindowOpen</animation>
          <animation effect="slide" end="-400,0" tween="quadratic" easing="in" time="400" delay="200">WindowClose</animation>
          <visible>[Control.HasFocus(1701)|Control.HasFocus(1801)|control.isvisible(1101)]</visible>
        </control>

Screenshot of my settings:
    2.jpg

and from inside MP:
    1.jpg

Maybe I just did something wrong configurationwise?
    Thank you! :)

Micropolis

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2009
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello SpudR, kjegibbons, Holzi,

@SpudR:
    ... Though your plugins are usually fabulous you seem to have a great way of over complicating things ...
    Sorry to say, but in my opinion you don't had understand the idea of expert settings.
    The main goal was to reduce to configuration complexity of this plugin, not to hide important settings. All of these expert settings are not required for a smooth plugin functionality, but can be helpful for skinners, expert users with special MediaPortal configurations or others with different hardware/network configuration. And last but not least, it helps me to identify potential plugin problems without distribution builds every minute.
    Too bad that you have to fool members to tell your opinion.

@kjegibbons:
    ... But could I suggest that an "Idiots Guide To WW config" pdf (for want of a better word) be created for the likes of me and others that goes into more detail and explains the affects of changing different parts of the config would have on the GUI and in what circumstances one would want to change them.
    Maybe a good idea, please allocate time and write a (that's you term) "idiot" guide in the next days.

... I have not yet figured out why one would want to change the rotation of the zodiac ...
    Simple answer: Some skinners or, for example also my person, want to download and use other zodiac images than the published one. But what you make, if the image rotates into the incorect direction? Maybe, you could say, take Photoshop and mirror the image. But what you will do, if the image contains text?

... Hide wait cursor permanently"
    Simple answer: there was a user request and I want to fullfill his needs. He has a UMTS internet connection and images are loading very slowly. Now he was bothered by the rotating circle and his idea was to hide the cursor.
    ... I have entered my own entries for Starry Sky using expert config but my entries do not appear in the dropdown config box ...
    Common, why it works for other users?

... The same is true for the "Calendar" config ...
    In my opinion this is a skin related problem. Please check the appropriate skin file and report your result. Based on this, maybe catavolt can help here.

... I do agree with SpudR that a hidden "Expert" mode isn't necessary...
    Open your mediaportal.xml, goto the WorldWeather section and enter the line "<entry name="ExpertSettingsVisible">true</entry>" and save it. Now you can see the appropriate configuration tab by default.

@Holzi:
    ... I got a small problem tho: #WorldWeather.LocationCountry doesn't seem to work for me....
    Currently the plugin display a country result only, if it was supported by selected weather provider. I would chance the logic asap, means if the return result is empty the selected country from the configuration will be shown.

I expected that the frustration will not be reduced after my vacation. I really do not know if I still want to keep going.

Micropolis

Last edited:

kjegibbons

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2011
    Surrey
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    `
    @kjegibbons:
    ... But could I suggest that an "Idiots Guide To WW config" pdf (for want of a better word) be created for the likes of me and others that goes into more detail and explains the affects of changing different parts of the config would have on the GUI and in what circumstances one would want to change them.
    Maybe a good idea, please allocate time and write a (that's you term) "idiot" guide in the next days.

... I have not yet figured out why one would want to change the rotation of the zodiac ...
    Simple answer: Some skinners or, for example also my person, want to download and use other zodiac images than the published one. But what you make, if the image rotates into the incorect direction? Maybe, you could say, take Photoshop and mirror the image. But what you will do, if the image contains text?

... Hide wait cursor permanently"
    Simple answer: there was a user request and I want to fullfill his needs. He has a UMTS internet connection and images are loading very slowly. Now he was bothered by the rotating circle and his idea was to hide the cursor.
    ... I have entered my own entries for Starry Sky using expert config but my entries do not appear in the dropdown config box ...
    Common, why it works for other users?

... The same is true for the "Calendar" config ...
    In my opinion this is a skin related problem. Please check the appropriate skin file and report your result. Based on this, maybe catavolt can help here.

... I do agree with SpudR that a hidden "Expert" mode isn't necessary...
    Open your mediaportal.xml, goto the WorldWeather section and enter the line "<entry name="ExpertSettingsVisible">true</entry>" and save it. Now you can see the appropriate configuration tab by default.

I expected that the frustration will not be reduced after my vacation. I really do not know if I still want to keep going.

Micropolis[/quote]

Hmmm....why have you turned a positive suggestion into a personal criticism of your work? I would be more than willing to create an "Idiots Guide" pdf if I had the expertise needed of the plugin. If that was the case I wouldn't have the problems that I have encountered with the plugin. Most people are experts in their own field...this isn't mine.

I have nothing but respect for your work but, in my opinion, you do seem to take everything said to heart. In my experience, the only way to improve a product is to take on board all feedback, good and bad.

Thank you sir for your answers, maybe this is the kind of info needed in an "Idiots Guide". Now that you have explained it to me, it makes perfect sense. What is logical to you may not be to others until explained in layman's terms. Maybe you should try and see the funny side of "us idiots" not understanding your obvious expertise.

Once again, thank you for your reply and best wishes.

Last edited:

Micropolis

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2009
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    kjegibbons,
    ... Hmmm....why have you turned a positive suggestion into a personal criticism of your work? ...
    For me it's not a problem to discuss things in a constructive way. On the other hand I don't feel personal criticism, all of my plugins contains a lot of ideas, suggestions from a lot of community members. I want to prevent just that all these woderful suggestions are made poor because others have a different view or know's better. Not more.

Micropolis

AlfredENeuma

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    `
    I would be more than willing to create an "idiots Guide" pdf if I had the expertise needed of the plugin. .
    It this is true: Many of your questions have been answered already, so now you should be able to create this guide. And: If you are not clear on a certain point, you still can ask in the forum and you will get an answer.
    But, you will see: Even if you know the answers, it is much more work to build a manual out of these answers than asking a question or even give an answer in the forum.
    Don't misunderstand: I understood your questions as constructive (y) , and really want to encourage you to build the manual you request.

On the other hand: Why should an "idiots guide" explain "expert settings"? If somebody really is an "idiot" - I better would call himbeginner :whistle: - , then he should omit changing expert settings.

One more answer to your questions:
    or in what circumstances the "Timeout" value should be changed?
    Same story as for the "hide cursor": You must be one of the lucky guys who has a fast internet connection. With a slow connection (like me), you run easily into a timeout while loading images. Here, a longer timout helps.

My suggestion: Forget about the few guys who do nothing but claim "this is not working how I would like it to work". Better think about the mass of users who are using and appreciating your work! :cool:

Cheers
    Alfred

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom