WorldWeather plugin v1.10.0 for MediaPortal 1.3.0 and higher (4 Viewers)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Spent around 30 minutes trying to get Weather for Christchurch, New Zealand but have been unsuccessful. Have tried using country codes from accuweather.com and wetter.com have tried having weather provider set to both wetter and accuweather. If I use the 'detect' function it only detects Christchurch, United States, which is surprising as Christchurch is New Zealand's 3rd largest city.

Is anyone able to load data for Christchurch, New Zealand or able to tell me what settings I should be using?

EDIT: I seem to have got it working by changing everything in settings to wetter.com

Does the detect city function need some trouble shooting?

Thanks
    Kiwi

Last edited:

Micropolis

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2009
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Dear community,
    as announced before you can find the first release candidate of WorldWesther v1.0.0 at the first post of this thread.
    This version contains minor changes and enhancements, additionally it is now possible to use chart grid style and define skin related hyperlink parameter to open a WorldWeather windows directly. For more information, please consult the included manual. If this version does not contain showstopper errors, I expect the official final version in the next 10 days.

... Spent around 30 minutes trying to get Weather for Christchurch, New Zealand but have been unsuccessful...
    Do you have tried the international city code NZ0CA0002?

Does the detect city function need some trouble shooting?
    What do you want to say? Do you mean the implemented detection routines are the web based database itself?

Cheers, Micropolis

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes, Thanks, I got it going eventually using NZ0CA0002... when i did a trouble shooting search, lots of posts suggested getting city codes from accuweather.com or weather.com, eventually I tried wetter.com

With regards to searching/detecting the city, in all of the main weather sites, if I search 'christchurch' the first result is always New Zealand, so I have no idea how the program is 'detecting' the city "Christchurch" as "Christchurch (United States)"

Micropolis

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2009
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi kiwijunglist,
    ... With regards to searching/detecting the city, in all of the main weather sites, if I search 'christchurch' the first result is always New Zealand, so I have no idea how the program is 'detecting' the city "Christchurch" as "Christchurch (United States)" ...
    Maybe there are differences between websites and location databases. WorldWeather use the Yahoo location database currently, because it supports the widest range of parameters (like region, city code etc.). But perhaps it's not the best one...

Cheers, Micropolis

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the information, the problem doesn't worry me anymore, but it might effect other users or other locations

If I search Christchurch, I get multiple results (not the single result as presented in the plugin) , see below

weather.jpg

redeye19987

Portal Pro
    May 4, 2009
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Yes, Thanks, I got it going eventually using NZ0CA0002... when i did a trouble shooting search, lots of posts suggested getting city codes from accuweather.com or weather.com, eventually I tried wetter.com

With regards to searching/detecting the city, in all of the main weather sites, if I search 'christchurch' the first result is always New Zealand, so I have no idea how the program is 'detecting' the city "Christchurch" as "Christchurch (United States)"
    Hi kiwijunglist,
    I too had some troubles after I upgraded and I am in Melbourne Australia. I got accuweather running here. As a typical man, I did not read the instructions first. Once I read the WorldWeather for MediaPortal PDF in the first post, the included chart showed the required parameters. For Accuweather it is Longitude and Latitude. I therefore ONLY populated City, Country, Timezone and the Longitude and Latitude coordinates (eg Christchurch 172.55 & -43.48) and voila! I even got it down to my suburb in Melbourne. I tested it with the suburb Hornby in Christchurch and all seemed to work fine.
    Search on accuweather.com and if your suburb comes up, give it a try. Of course if you are happy with the wetter.com service then disregard as the suburbs seem to come up there too. Others may find this helpful though?

Justin

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Maybe there are differences between websites and location databases. WorldWeather use the Yahoo location database currently, because it supports the widest range of parameters (like region, city code etc.). But perhaps it's not the best one...

Cheers, Micropolis

I have a suggestion idea

Have a link on the configuration utlity called "Having trouble adding/detecting your location?"

This brings up a dialog box with the following text

If you want to use accuweather.con for your weather data, then first make sure the location you want to use has a weather report on www.accuweather.com , Then visit www.findlatitudeandlongitude.com and find the latitude + longitude for your city. You only need to populate City, Country, Timezone and latitude + longitude, the city code can be left blank.

If you want to use wetter.com for your weather data, then visit wetter.com and enter + select your city. The city code is listed in the url, eg. the city code for Paris is FR0IF0356 (http://www.wetter.com/wetter_aktuell/aktuelles_wetter/frankreich/paris/FR0IF0356.html)

you could also consider adding this information in to the first post in this thread :D

Thanks for consideration
    Kiwi

Last edited:

Micropolis

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2009
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi kiwijunglist,
    ... Have a link on the configuration utlity called "Having trouble adding/detecting your location?"...
    yes, it's an interesting idea and I'm sure, this can help people in a simple way.
    Before I'll include this, I think it's better to collect more troubleshooting steps from other WorldWeather users for each weather provider before. From my point of view it does not make sense to offer some steps like above for "special" providers. But it's a good beginning...

Cheers, Micropolis

Micropolis

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2009
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Dear community,
    as a result of kiwijunglist's proposal I'd added a first version of a provider troubleshooting dialog, it's part of WorldWeather release candidate 2 now.

Provider Troubleshooting.jpg

You can open this dialog with the appropriate link in the settings tab. To include more useful links, member feedback is welcome.

Cheers, Micropolis

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom